We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus July 2015  (Read 7122 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Narcissus July 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 11:24:49 AM »
The Scottish Rock Garden Club Web Team is pleased to announce that a feature to allow automatic resizing of photographs loaded to the SRGC Forum has been added. This will remove the need for forumists to resize photos before posting.

We hope this will encourage posting from those who found resizing difficult or time-consuming.

Many thanks to Fred C. our wonderful Forum Admin for this facility
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mini-daffs

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 02:20:30 PM »
 :o
Maggie
Does that mean I can send you my 24 megapixel photos and that they will be automatically downsized for the forum? I suspect the cost of uploading them would mean I should still downsize them a bit.

Graham, Canberra, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 02:35:08 PM »
My word,  I've known perfect photos for print work being much less than that size, Graham!

My technical knowledge is not  so extensive to know that - I cannot imagine anyone tying to send such files for web use in any context. I reckon that the time involved to send such enormous  files would be   a real strain on your broadband apart from anything else.
 A batch resize of your files for web use would probably be a good idea - but you will  not need to be so exact as previously.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:36:59 PM by Maggi Young »

Mini-daffs

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »
 ;D
Maggie
We have both the broadband capability and the computers to handle large images but I do edit and downsize to small images to send them. I usually do two edits to get them so I can post them so it will save me some time. I get bounced when I insert a larger image. We upgraded our camera equipment to professional grade last year so the high quality shots start out life as 24 megapixels. Even our travel cameras are 16 megapixels.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »

As may be expected we have quite a few  bulbocodiums flowering.

Hi Graham,
here are a couple of hoops in our garden which appear to be self-sown seedlings of some of Rod Barwick's clan!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
Matt Bishop  (better known for his Galanthus  obsession!  ;D )  has got a new set of plants on offer - and  includes some Narcissus!!
 Learn more here : http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12022.msg338009#msg338009

Mini-daffs

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 01:00:57 PM »
 ;D
Hi Fermi
We have quite a few GBF Joy Bishop seedlings out at the moment. We have feral bulbocodiums out at the moment. The biggest feral issue is the feral cyclamen in the shade house.
We have one of our N. romieuxii selections flowering at the moment. A superb petunioid form that I have selected out. I have put the pollen onto some largish bulbocodium hybrids in the hope of getting giant petunioid bulbocodiums.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
 ;D
 Hi
Maggie, new downsizing system didn't like the size of our photos so I have done another manual downsize.
Some photos of some pot and rock garden miniatures although some in the size photos are clearly exhibition quality flowers.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
Hi Graham,
They look great and so early :o
Hope you'll still have some mini-daffs in flower for the National Championships in Leongatha in September!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mini-daffs

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 12:06:53 PM »
 ;D
Hi
A few splits.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 12:11:54 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Some miniature cyclamineus hybrids.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Some species.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
 ;D
Hi
Species and bulbocodiums.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
 ;D
Hi
A few more photos

Mini-daffs

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 12:59:22 PM »
 :-[
Hi
Fermi, somehow I have missed the fact that the National Show is on in Leongatha (I suspect I am not on the mailing lists - we are a bit reclusive and we are not particularly well known in Victoria) but the problem is that it is on the same day as the Canberra Show. Graeme Davis or Lawrence Trevanion may do Leongatha in preference to the Canberra Show or have someone else do their Canberra entries.
We have quite a few flowers out but they are a drop in the ocean overall. There will be not shortage of show blooms for mid-September unless we have high winds, hail, heavy rain or the one that really does damage - hot winds from central Australia.
Because they are so early I tend to use them for hybridising so the numbers of our early flowering bulbs has increased quite dramatically over time. Because they are too early for the shows there is not a lot of demand for them so we don't sell them.
I can save daffodils in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks but 4 weeks is more the norm. I may look at refrigerating some flowers but that will be to allow me to move later flowering times forward not showing.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal