We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC 2015-2016 Seed Exchange No. 69  (Read 19097 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: SRGC 2015-2016 Seed Exchange No. 69
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2015, 06:06:00 PM »
The SRGC does not keep any members details for any postal  members online.  And if you knew the number of people who forget their login details from one one month  to another and who change their email addresses etc and  do not  update their details you would know why it is the choice of SRGC to have the re-register each year system.  New online payment provider  regulations have made it  important to get everyone to enter their own details  too .

Believe me, nothing would give the Web Team  and Seed Team more pleasure than to be able to have  one page  where all the details are and for that to be only a couple of lines.  But again, with the capacity of some people to forget their numbers etc and try to log in with old details and so on that is quite impossible.  The reason for the info to be  repeated in in different places is a result of messages  complaining that people cannot find the main page.   That seems pretty straightforward a task to me but it seems not , so we try to help by spreading  the info around in the hope that these people will stumble onto  some of it!

I  do notice from other seed exchanges where the  initial instructions are quite  brief that once one accesses the system there are a great many instructions there too   :-X

The Seed exchange ordering is on a different server to  protect the  membership  listing there - I am told that this is desirable and who am I to argue with that?   Many people are extremely  anxious about the security of their  data online and the SRGC takes that seriously and acts accordingly. 

Of course, we have to make a system that works for the majority of people in the easiest way - and for the Seed Team too.  And it does.
 It is not possible to make a system for a  club like this, run on little money by volunteers,  which will provide a personal service tailored to each individual and I believe it is unreasonable to expect that  we would.  I do  however, think we do a jolly good job and thousands of satisfied members each year  does rather  support that.

Thank you for your  opinion Jamie,  it will, as ever, be noted and considered when the future of the Seed Exchange is  discussed. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:09:14 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2015, 07:52:48 PM »
ordered online - very impressive - thanks
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
I'm still debating whether to order or not.  I've got so many pots waiting to be pricked off and plants waiting to be planted out :-\  I've been marking seeds in the SRG and AGS paper seed lists.  I know if I go on to the electronic ones I am lost.

Ditto! Frames at capacity but already highlighted dozens (a hundred plus, even) in the SRGC list. Must... not... log.. on...
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Graeme

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 08:20:39 PM »
Ditto! Frames at capacity but already highlighted dozens (a hundred plus, even) in the SRGC list. Must... not... log.. on...
I admitted to my OH tonight that half the plants in the list I have no idea what they look like - it always amazes me what people grow
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »
Since the system went live yesterday 120 members have successfully ordered and paid for their seed. It's astonishing how easy it is when you bother to read the instructions.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2015, 11:19:21 PM »
Fred,
the reason the system works is because of the volunteers like you and Maggi!
I would still be waiting for the activation e-mail if Maggi hadn't "found" it for me.
So thanks again for all your hard work,
cheers
fermi
PS the email did eventually turn up this morning!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:42:40 PM by fermi »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
Fermi,  there are issues with some email providers.  Overly aggressive spam filters for example. Most  members have no issues of course, if they did running this seed exchange online would not be possible. 

There is a particular problem with Microsoft free or “throw away”  email accounts such as hotmail, rocketmail, live  etc

When registering the issue with these email providers is clearly highlighted – still some just try use them anyway. Do they think we are lying to them? Perhaps they think they know better?  If that's the only email they have, then sorry, get another one. Knowingly passing their problems on to already overworked volunteers is just not acceptable.

If they have a problem with their own computer or provider then THEY must fix it. The SRGC seed team is not there for members' home computer support.

Every year Maggi has to deal with endless inane questions, very often the same issues from the same people year after year who perhaps just cannot be bothered making a note so that next year they can help themselves.

Yes, sometimes people genuinely  do need help and this help is happily given. Most times however we find that people have just not bothered to read the instructions.

As of this morning 135 members have now successfully completed their orders online.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:08:28 AM by admin »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
The email providers who delete the activation emails  do work for those  receiving such emails from large online companies - yes - but those companies have, I  am given to understand, paid dearly for that privilege - not an option open to the likes of SRGC.

Also, people using work computers  should know that their systems will either  delete entirely or block for clearance emails with live links in them - so again, it is not something over which the SRGC has any control.

What might help is if customers of the problem email providers  spoke to them to complain of the problem !

Fermi found that his email did eventually turn up - but the fact is it was sent  at once by the system - and the "failure" was not of our making. The fact that we respond to the cries of anguish to "rescue" people an added bonus for members. 
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 10:29:34 AM by Maggi Young »

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 10:49:13 AM »
Just ordered and some surplus which I wasn't going to. I didn't mean to order anything but as I was about to put the paper list on the fire I had a change of heart. Of course the envelope with my membership number on it was already burning so a frantic hunt for the number. It is on the envelope the journal comes in. Not sure about e-members. Thanks everyone. Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
E-members  can find their membership numbers and the password for initial entry, on their online subscription profile pages.  :)

Other current members missing their  numbers can contact the Seed Team  on seed@srgc.org.uk

Perhaps the exercise of  some patience by members  would be helpful!  It will be forced upon some of  you - my email service has crashed! 

gordon julian

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 11:07:18 AM »
Hi , I found the ordering of seeds very easy after following the instructions , my not registering  first was a slight hiccup but then on a roll even though this was at 4 am here in Tasmania only some 3 hours after the list went live . Used Mozilla Firefox and another 2 orders on behalf two of my  member friends using G-mail and activation links came through immediately. Thanks to all involved in the Seed Exchange process.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
Members will be aware that it is a small team of individuals who volunteer behind the scenes of the Seed Ex to make it available and provide an amazing range of seed for FREE! (You're contribution only covers the cost of postage etc.)

Having used the online ordering system myself, it's quite straightforward and easy to use if you follow the instructions given. This involves a lot of work, so if you find you're having problems do check the notes again in case you've missed something before you seek help. If seeking help I'm sure we're all reasonable in our requests, courteous and patient.

In my experience, even if you're not first-past-the post to get your request in you will still receive an excellent selection of seeds, including many of your first choices without any of the cost of buying them from commercial sources.

HUGE THANKS to the Web Team and others involved with the Seed Ex, we really value the work you all do!
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 01:46:47 PM »
You're right Matt, preparing the Seed System does require a lot of work and it is necessary to follow the steps in the right order - that done  the process is both simple and , dare I say it, rather fun!

It is not the volume of  people having trouble which is overwhelming, it is the attitude of  some.  Quite shocking to me in a Club like this. It is wonderful to have  the enthusiastic support of  many members.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »

Well done to you all on another smooth and easy seed ex from the user end. We're like swans - the users gliding thought he system and the web team frenetically paddling away behind the scenes to make it work.

Hope to finish my seed packeting to get them back in the post by the weekend.

All over the country there are SRGC members beavering over  boxes of seed to be packeted ready to be sent all around the world  - it's all such a huge system, with so many  volunteers involved.

I always think it's a dangerous time of year - some seed is bound to be spilled  and if  a drink is then spilled on the rug - will the seed packeters end up with a green carpet?  ::) ;D

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »
It is not the volume of  people having trouble which is overwhelming, it is the attitude of  some. 
Lucky then that I am not handling their requests.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal