We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 6125 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: June 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:46 AM »
Hi Lesley,
I think the best way to grow this oxalis is as a single rosette in a pot, but I've only found flowers on those in the ground. Where I have it planted is almost a trough but the wretched thing is escaping around the edges!
 Nice surprise yesterday when I uncovered a tray of "dormant" pots to find this little Colchicum in flower!
I got it from Jon B (mini-Bulb Lover) a couple of years ago and he originally got it as C. psaridis but he has some doubts about that,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
I don't know C. psaridis but this one looks a bit like my own C. baytopiorum, though that flowers with its leaves. I saw it in an over grown  trough a while back and can't remember the colour of the stamens etc. Meant to rescue it but haven't done so yet. I do remember though that it has never clumped up like this, more single flowers over a wider space. In Greece in 1993, I remember someone collected seed of psaridis. Near Delphi I think. Maybe not.  Parnassus?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 09:03:23 AM »
This seems to be smaller than baytopiorum.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gabriel B

• Freezing winters, hot summers
    • Gabriel's photos on Flickr
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:46 AM »
Jamus, I smiled a bit at the caption on your Campanula rapunculoides. Up here in Minnesota, it's not a borderline weed, it's incredibly invasive. Hard to get rid of, with those huge swollen taproots and slender white rhizomes. Must be the difference in climate. However, it is beautiful, and strangely enough it's just coming into bloom up here too, on the other side of the world.
Gabriel
Cyclamen and bleeding-heart lover in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Average daily high of 22 F (-6 C) in January, 83 F (28 C) in July; 22 days dropping below 0 F (-18 C) each winter

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal