We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Connoisseur Collection  (Read 154511 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Connoisseur Collection
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:08:17 PM »
As I am living very close to the place where you might see the greatest Bulb Collection I know about, i thought it could be interesting posting now and then some pictures.
I hope you like this new topic.

Overview Sortiment
 Colchicum hungaricum Velebit Star P.C.N. '06
 Narcissus Little Spell ...renamed later.... Mis Muffit
 Crocus adamii Bitschenag Tiger JR
 Crocus ancyrensis Golden Bunch v.T '96
 Crocus biflorus ssp alexandrii
 Crocus biflorus ssp nubigena Camb.B '95
 Crocus chrys. Saturnus
 Crocus korolkowii Agalik JR1

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:34:51 AM by Maggi Young »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Connoisseur Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
Thanks Luit...I'll look forward to more pictures. I'll be visiting the Netherlands this May for the first time (sorry to miss all the early bulbs!)
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »
Thanks Luit. Will you be returning as the bulbs come into flower?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
Great!  Hope you get some sunshine soon :)
Interesting top dressing, straw for protection from cold/snow?

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
The biflorus ssp nubigena looks great!  Interesting to use the straw, although isn't wonderful for seeing the plants.  I am assuming that this is a commercial place and they're growing the plants for selling the bulbs when dormant, rather than as a collection for viewing?  Can you imagine all the wonderful seedlings that will turn up in that soil in a few years time, with all those Crocus flowering, crossing etc and then dropping their seeds.  Oh to go through there and harvest seed at the relevent times.  Some beauties would appear in the results I'd imagine.

Great pics Luit.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
I hope you like this new topic.
Oh, yes! Indeed!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:44:14 PM »
O.k. friends, I'll do my best.
First some answers:
Interesting top dressing, straw for protection from cold/snow?
This is a mayor dressing against the wind. In dry periods the soil (sand) would get blown off the bulbs.
In earlier days 'reet' (Phragmitis) was used. This could be used several years.
Hyacinths are also dressed with straw but much more is used, this get removed at this time of year.
When Hyacinth have made their roots they are hardy enough.

cold/snow

What's that??    ???

I am assuming that this is a commercial place and they're growing the plants for selling the bulbs when dormant, rather than as a collection for viewing?

Paul this is a collection wich is planted every year again. the man spends a lot of money but that's his
LIFE. He is just collecting and he wants to know all about his plants.
Ask him about a Tulip or Narcissus and often he will tell you the parents and grandparents as well.
Her is a picture.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 10:40:48 AM by Maggi Young »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »
Luit,

Interesting..... I would have thought taht the straw would have made observation of the flowers etc that much harder, as they get lost in the straw.  Seems a shame to miss the flowers.

He may lift and replant each year, but he is still going to get lots of seedlings coming up over time.  He's going to need to be careful that his collection doesn't get invaded by those seedlings, slowly losing the purity of each type that he has as the seedlings mature.  Then again, as i mentioned before, those seedlings could contain some absolute beauties!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 10:50:46 PM »
GREAT picture, interesting technique and I love that he's gardening in a jacket!

The entire collection is replanted EVERY year???
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 10:56:10 PM »
He may lift and replant each year, but he is still going to get lots of seedlings coming up over time.
Paul he does not dig the bulbs out with a machine. And seedlings are so small and get lost when sieving the sand out. and he plants the bulbs every year on different beds.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:05:09 PM »
Luit,

The changing of beds each year is the key there.  Glad he's playing it safe.  I still wonder how many seedlings do/are going to pop up amongst other things over time.  It would be fascinating to leave an area that had been used like that for a few years undisturbed after the main collection was removed.  It's the sort of thing I'd do if I had the time ans space...... grow a Crocus collection in an area for a year or two, carefully removing all the plants I was sure of the names of and leaving any seedlings etc.  Then just leave the area for a few years and see what resulted from the seedlings that were there and any seed that germinated after the colllection was gone.  I could just imagine having an area with little hybrid and species Crocus and Iris reticulata.... and all the differences in flowers that would entail.  Oh I wish I had more space.

I bet you didn't expect your posting of his collection to inspire my dreams of the possible seedlings did you!  ;D 

Looking forward to seeing more pics in the future as things progress.  It could be quite fascinating to watch it transform from a blank covered in straw to flowers and leaves etc.  I'd imagine by the time everything is in full growth it wouldn't be recognisable as the pictures you've just posted.  Thanks for starting this discussion!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 11:14:32 PM »
GREAT picture, interesting technique and I love that he's gardening in a jacket!

The entire collection is replanted EVERY year???

Clothes make the man, as we say here.

And yes, every year. Digging out, drying, cleaning, sorting measures (bulbs) and planting again.
Carlo, if you are in Holland early May, there will be some flowers to see.
Send me a mail when and I take you there.

Paul, I was expecting to send some more pictures today, but I was not expecting so many replies. Now it's after midnight here and my "Boss" says it's enough!
Tomorrow I'll be returning.
Good night all!

Carlo

• BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »
Luit,
Thanks for the offer. I'm traveling with my lady-love to a wedding on the 24th of May in England--and will be in the Netherlands the week before photographing private gardens and the rock garden at Utrecht for lectures I am giving in 2009. Your countrymen/women are being very generous with their time so I'm trying to work out an itinerary that will allow me to do the photography I need and see some of your beautiful country. I'll keep you advised....
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 07:00:55 AM »
Luit,
I don't know what to admire more: the ingeniosity or the individualism of this person - or your kindness to show us these pictures?
Thank you!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 07:16:57 AM »
I don't know what to admire more: the ingeniosity or the individualism of this person

Gerd, I would say: take both. You might ask T.H.
Did you receive my mail yesterday?
Luit

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal