We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Connoisseur Collection  (Read 155921 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Connoisseur Collection
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
Luit,
phantastic. I like the C.sieberi ssp. sieberi who's yellow color is shining through like yolk of an egg.
What impress me is the soil - sand!
This is likely one success factor of dutch bulb breeders ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »
Great show again Luit - I particularly like I. histrioides major - what a fine blue !
Guess you were the spy out in the wind instead of the cold today Luit - How's your hairdo ??  ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »
Great show again Luit - I particularly like I. histrioides major - what a fine blue !
Guess you were the spy out in the wind instead of the cold today Luit - How's your hairdo ??  ;D ;D

They were not made today, Luc!

How's your hairdo ??  ;D ;D

Well looking at your avatar Luc, I'm not complaining!  :D :D :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2008, 10:05:11 PM »
What impress me is the soil - sand!
This is likely one success factor of dutch bulb breeders ;D

Armin, Crocus were (when I was younger) mostly grown by the poorer growers
and they didn't have the best sandy soils useful for Hyacinths etc. like the place
where I make the pictures now!
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2008, 10:14:32 PM »
Here is another batch:

Crocus chrysanthus Blue Bird
Crocus flavus M.T.4578 Mon. '95
Crocus malyi Sveti Roc PCN, '03

Selecting Narcissus                   
            With such a collection it is necessary to look everyday
            for wrong plants or viruses otherwise ill plants.

Narcissus Div. 6 Lemon Silk R.A. Sc. '01
Narcissus Salakee R.A. Sc. 2000
Fitillaria stenanthera select. De Gr. '01
Scilla mischtschenkoana CSW. '99 1
Scilla mischtschenkoana Zwanenburg J.R. '01

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2008, 03:47:21 AM »
I like the C.sieberi ssp. sieberi who's yellow color is shining through like yolk of an egg.

I very much like the colour of the flowers BUT.... perhaps I'm getting paranoid about all the possible virus attacks mentioned recently among the crocuses but I'm not happy about the yellowing of the foliage on the C. sieberi ssp. sieberi. What does anyone else think? Not my problem of course in this instance, but if it IS virus, this gentleman should be encouraged to root out possible offenders because with so intensely planted a collection, disease could spread like wildfire.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2008, 06:48:23 AM »
Wonderful Luit.  Wondeful!!  I particularly like that Frit stenanthera.  What a corker!!  Beautiful!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2008, 01:24:53 PM »
I very much like the colour of the flowers BUT.... perhaps I'm getting paranoid about all the possible virus attacks mentioned recently among the crocuses but I'm not happy about the yellowing of the foliage on the C. sieberi ssp. sieberi. What does anyone else think? Not my problem of course in this instance, but if it IS virus, this gentleman should be encouraged to root out possible offenders because with so intensely planted a collection, disease could spread like wildfire.

Lesley I am pretty sure it's no virus! There was a little bit too much straw on the leaves and this was just removed before some strong frosts. That's why they look a bit yellowish. I took today this leaf home and studied it exactly
under a magnifying glass!

You were probably reading too much ïn the "White Fever Topics"  ;D ;D ;D   :P

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2008, 02:00:50 PM »
Some more pictures:

Tulipa kaufmanniana group Type
Tulipa kaufmanniana PCN. 93
Tulipa kaufmanniana  hybr. Franz Lehar G.Ma. '94
Crocus bed               
Crocus vernus Haarlem Gem
Crocus vernus Peter Pan
Crocus vernus Purpureus Grandiflorus P+M '03
Crocus vernus Remembrance Br. Ga. '02
Tulipa     Showwinner       
Tulipa greigii Group Carioca 'Type'

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2008, 02:43:29 PM »
Crocus vernus Purpureus Grandiflorus is the darkest, richest, most delicious purple I have seen. Is it an old variety, or is it likely to be available in the trade?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #100 on: March 11, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »
Crocus vernus Purpureus Grandiflorus is the darkest, richest, most delicious purple I have seen. Is it an old variety, or is it likely to be available in the trade?

Maggi today I was there again and made some pictures.
I'll try to resize as soon as possible, but first have to make fire before the lady freezes.  ::) ::) 8)
So watch the Crocus Topic a little later, I do have a surprise.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »
Luit, the Iris histrioides is superb. Does "Cam.B" stand for Cambridge Bulbs (Norman Stevens)?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2008, 09:55:34 PM »
Luit, the Iris histrioides is superb. Does "Cam.B" stand for Cambridge Bulbs (Norman Stevens)?
The answer is YES Gerry.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2008, 10:35:10 PM »

Lesley I am pretty sure it's no virus! There was a little bit too much straw on the leaves and this was just removed before some strong frosts. That's why they look a bit yellowish. I took today this leaf home and studied it exactly
under a magnifying glass!

You were probably reading too much ïn the "White Fever Topics"  ;D ;D ;D   :P

Oh, well  I'm pleased about that Luit. Funny, 'cos I don't even HAVE "Whte Fever" or only a very mild dose. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2008, 11:00:29 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D             8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal