Memorable Topics – Threads and posts that are just too good to lose > Plant Information and Portraits

Connoisseur Collection

<< < (2/64) > >>

Maggi Young:

--- Quote ---I hope you like this new topic.
--- End quote ---
Oh, yes! Indeed!  8)

Lvandelft:
O.k. friends, I'll do my best.
First some answers:

--- Quote ---Interesting top dressing, straw for protection from cold/snow?
--- End quote ---
This is a mayor dressing against the wind. In dry periods the soil (sand) would get blown off the bulbs.
In earlier days 'reet' (Phragmitis) was used. This could be used several years.
Hyacinths are also dressed with straw but much more is used, this get removed at this time of year.
When Hyacinth have made their roots they are hardy enough.

--- Quote ---cold/snow
--- End quote ---

What's that??    ???

--- Quote ---I am assuming that this is a commercial place and they're growing the plants for selling the bulbs when dormant, rather than as a collection for viewing?
--- End quote ---

Paul this is a collection wich is planted every year again. the man spends a lot of money but that's his
LIFE. He is just collecting and he wants to know all about his plants.
Ask him about a Tulip or Narcissus and often he will tell you the parents and grandparents as well.
Her is a picture.

Paul T:
Luit,

Interesting..... I would have thought taht the straw would have made observation of the flowers etc that much harder, as they get lost in the straw.  Seems a shame to miss the flowers.

He may lift and replant each year, but he is still going to get lots of seedlings coming up over time.  He's going to need to be careful that his collection doesn't get invaded by those seedlings, slowly losing the purity of each type that he has as the seedlings mature.  Then again, as i mentioned before, those seedlings could contain some absolute beauties!!

Carlo:
GREAT picture, interesting technique and I love that he's gardening in a jacket!

The entire collection is replanted EVERY year???

Lvandelft:

--- Quote ---He may lift and replant each year, but he is still going to get lots of seedlings coming up over time.
--- End quote ---
Paul he does not dig the bulbs out with a machine. And seedlings are so small and get lost when sieving the sand out. and he plants the bulbs every year on different beds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version