We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: allium 2015  (Read 18484 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: allium 2015
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 04:47:52 PM »
Mark, the IDs look correct to me.  :)
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2015, 05:01:09 PM »
great thanks! The first sikkimense came labelled as something else but sikkimense is probably a nicer plant anyway.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
With Allium cernuum and stellatum, and with early and late forms of each, intergrading hybrids are common, for many I can no longer say with certainty which they may be, except to say they fall into the "cernuum camp" or "stellatum camp". Add to that, some of these hybridize with senescens and nutans as well.

1-2  Allium cernuum, tall white types, one that is pink-flushed on backs of the flowers.
   3  Allium cernuum tall pinks shades, with Liatris and Aconitum cammarum 'Bicolor'.
4-5  Allium hybrid - guessing it is [cernuum x senescens 'Green Eyes'] x cernuum white,
       very tall, equally spaced small forets, strong arched pedicel geometry, slow growing
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 04:51:22 PM »
Saw this very smart-looking Allium last night in a friend's garden.  Ken thinks it could be Mark's 'Millenium'.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

latestart

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 12:15:46 PM »
hi, can someone confirm that these ex AGS seed exchange plants are as I've ID'd them please?
Your first photo of sikkimense looks very like the seedlings I have grown using SRGC seeds. The cover (sorry not familiar with the correct terminology) over the flowers had a 'beak' similar to what you are showing. Once the flowers opened today I took this photo. Its raining and windy again so I brought the pot indoors to take the photo. This is a very blue colour compared to other alliums I have.

The second photo is  a close up of the cover I am talking about.   
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:49:32 PM by Maggi Young »

TheOnionMan

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »
Saw this very smart-looking Allium last night in a friend's garden.  Ken thinks it could be Mark's 'Millenium'.

john

John, it's a neat growing Allium for sure, but unless the buds color up soon to an intense rose-purple, it's not Millenium.

While here answering, the following photos show a new Allium from Intrinsic Perennial Gardens, in Hebron, Illinois, USA. In bud now and just starting to open flowers, it certainly shows intense color buds and two-toned florets.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:05:07 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »
Hi Mark,
nice to see you here (since the NARGS Forum seems to have migrated to FB!).
That hybrid is quite alluring :)
Do you know the breeding?
It appears to be summer growing, so would need watering through to its flowering period, I presume; does it go dormant over winter?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

TheOnionMan

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »
Hi Mark,
nice to see you here (since the NARGS Forum seems to have migrated to FB!).
That hybrid is quite alluring :)
Do you know the breeding?
It appears to be summer growing, so would need watering through to its flowering period, I presume; does it go dormant over winter?
cheers
fermi

Hi Fermi. Actually many members of NARGS & SRGC forums are very active on FB.  NARGS Forum is moribund, if you hadn't posted on Narcissus today, it would have been 4 whole days without a single post!  NARGS Forum has become irrelevant, tis sad.

I can ask the breeder (from Intrinsic Perennial Gardens) if he knows the lineage; I suspect it is an open-pollinated selection, looks akin to my 'Millenium' (multi-generational senescens x nutans type), but even more intense in flower color. And yes, both parents are season-long rhizomatous growing plants, going dormant in winter.  These are drought resistant, but for best foliage without drying tips, they can be watered.

Two views from yesterday, 07-27-2015, a late blooming form of Allium cernuum with reddish pedicels, bright pink A. saxatile, and lighter pink Allium senescens forms and hybrids behind.  While it was an overcast day (eventually thunderstorms and deluge rain), it was a hot and steamy day.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2015, 03:38:20 AM »
Hi Mark,
Those look good.
For some reason I've lost Allium cernuum - I thought it was probably because it was growing in a summer dry bed and wanted a bit more water.
I have seedlings now which I'll plant out into a bed which will get some summer watering,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 12:06:38 AM »
Mark  -  These Ken got for a friend as your 'Millenium', local gorcery chain!  The other one we'll have to check back to see if it colours up but a long hike out to it.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

latestart

« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2015, 10:24:48 AM »
quote author=Mark Griffiths  Reply #29 on: July 25, 2015, 02:28:49 PM (post on previous page)
hi, can someone confirm that these ex AGS seed exchange plants are as I've ID'd them please?

Hi Mark, here is a photo of the A. sikkimense (right side) which I grew from SRGC seeds sowed Spring 2014 and on the left is A.sikkimense grown from AGS seed sowed in  2012 by a member who lives near London. These were sent to me as seedlings and I potted them on. To me they look to be the same except that mine are a good bit taller. Mine are growing as a clump because I sowed them in one hole one inch deep. Mine also started flowering earlier but the two pots were in different parts of the garden. i have looked at your photos and am puzzled as to why you think they are different from one another. What am I missing?     

(edit by maggi to add details of location of original post )
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:31:49 AM by Maggi Young »

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
hi, no I thought were the same but was just making sure - particualrly as one came to me as I think A.cyneum and other as A.sikkemense. Happy they are both A. sikkimense. :)
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
Two views from yesterday, 07-27-2015, a late blooming form of Allium cernuum with reddish pedicels, bright pink A. saxatile, and lighter pink Allium senescens forms and hybrids behind.  While it was an overcast day (eventually thunderstorms and deluge rain), it was a hot and steamy day.

These are really nice looking Alliums. I'm not very familiar with Alliums, but these plants got my interest. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Tristan_He

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »

The humble chives, Allium schoenoprasum. I don't grow many Alliums as the slugs like them here, and I don't think they get enough summer heat or lime. But in purely ornamental terms I think chives stands up against anything else on this thread, and of course it's nice in a salad too!

The moth is a beautiful yellow-underwing, Anarta myrtilli.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2015, 03:18:05 PM »
Mark  -  These Ken got for a friend as your 'Millenium', local gorcery chain!  The other one we'll have to check back to see if it colours up but a long hike out to it.

johnw

That one looks right John. It's sort of fun to learn of one's hybrids becoming so broadly distributed, to the point they're offered for sale at grocery chains, Millenium has become a household commodity.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal