We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula-February to April 2008  (Read 70091 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula-February to April 2008
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:36 AM »
He's not here, Chris, I bet he's gone to the pub for a pint. :D

You were spot on Maggi!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:13 AM »
When you take pics in pots like that, do you put some sort of backing behind them David?  They have turned out really well.

Hi Chris, this is an idea picked up from our own BD. Ian uses a grey sheet of some kind, I use a piece of the kind of board that watercolourists use to paint on covered with a couple of coats of light grey emulsion paint (I found an Art shop that was closing down and got my board for 50p!) I find it is large enough for my needs and I can put it in the greenhouse (or take it out again) whenever I need it. Many Forumists use a backing of some kind.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 10:12:51 AM »
David, is this Lindum stable more connected to the Primula world than the AGS/SRGC world ? I can't say I recognise it , though that may because I'm getting dimmer by the day but I wondered if it was a breeder more from the primula/auricula societies than the alpine ones? Super cheery plants.

Possibly Maggi. The breeder is Dreena Thompson and she has bred some super plants. I would be surprised though if there were not some 'Lindum' plants at the Loughborough AGS Show on March 8th (maybe our Midlands based Forum members go to this Show?). By degrees some of the plants are being released to Nurseries and they are gradually coming more available.

I have some pictures, somewhere!!, of some Lindum plants and when I find them I will post them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 08:00:44 PM »
Couldn't find them-of course! But have a look at this Site compiled by Viv and Henry Pugh as there are Lindum plants to be seen. Henry is an 'ace' Auricula grower and Viv is one of the best Primula growers around and they are based in the Midlands, Viv probably grew some of the Lindum plants pictured.

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~viv.pugh/european_primulas.html

new link: http://www.auriculaandprimula.org.uk/galleries/index.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:45:53 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
Re.the Lindum primulas,I was at the Loughborough Show today(who could resist it?) and the breeders Dreena Thompson and her husband were there with a stall selling quite a few of their Lindum series and creating quite a bit of interest.They had some very nice plants to show but unfortuneately most of them were not available to buy at this time.I did buy Lindum Cameo.
To answer Maggie's question about the background of the breeders,they are very much avid AGS members and showers and whilst I do not know them personally I have seen them at the shows for the lasy twenty years at least and I have friends who are very close to them.Having said that I was'nt aware of the Lindum series until David mentioned it a few posts ago.Having seen at least twenty varieties today I now know why they are sought after.As always,if you can't have it you want it.Incidentally LINDUM is the old name for Lincoln.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »
This is all most interesting, about Mr and Mrs Thompson. I had a feeling that such lovely primulas would have an AGS connection somewhere along the line. There's often a clue, eh? It was just that the Lindum name was new to me too, so that raised the curiosity level! Glad you had a good day at Loughborough, John... at least you SAW the varieties!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »
I agree with you that the Lindum brand is excellent.  We first met Dreena and her husband through NAPS (National Auricula and Primula Society) and they are a very friendly and knowledgeable group.  However the Primulas tend to take second place to the Auriculas (Show Auriculas), but I can certainly recommend their Shows if you get the chance to see one, you get excellent cakes ;D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

johanneshoeller

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 05:07:47 PM »
In spite of the colder weather but with a lot of sun my Primula seedlings (1 year old and very tiny) show flowers.
Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2008, 05:38:15 PM »
Hans,
the reason of early flower setting is certainly your seedlings want to thank you for all the care! ;D
Please post them again when open!
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 06:35:39 PM »
Are they your own crosses Hans, or did the bees do the work?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johanneshoeller

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 06:48:57 PM »
I let work the bees, have own crosses and grow Pimulas from wild collected seed too. But the best hybrids are the work of the bees or other insects.

Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 07:42:21 PM »
Two from the greenhouse today. The first is Primula allionii 'Crowsley Variety' (sometimes seen as 'Crowsley's or Crowslie's), and the second is P. 'Lindum Moonlight' looking more floriferous than it did when I first posted it on 7 February.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 08:31:51 PM »
David, lovely colored flowers. Are they scented?
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
Armin, I cannot detect a scent but I do have a cold at the moment!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johanneshoeller

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 08:11:35 PM »
For me one of the most beautiful Primulas in my garden, grown from wild collected seed. I never before have seen such a Double Primula in the nature.
Hans

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal