We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris astrachanica  (Read 3959 times)

arillady

Iris astrachanica
« on: February 06, 2008, 11:04:03 PM »
I have ordered Iris astrachanica seed from SIGNA and quarantine have seized them as that name is not on the Permitted Seed list on ICON but it is a synonym for Iris scariosa on the SIGNA database. I need to provide proof of the connection so I would be so appreciative if anyone can point me to some more literature - especially growing conditions, I  have a nine page questionaire to fill in.
I do have Rodionenko's The Genus Iris L. published by the British Iris Society in 1987 but it does not have an idex and I don't think Rodionenko lists it as the same or similar to Iris scariosa. Found one reference to astrachanica in the book on page 129 but no link to scariosa.
I also have the The British Iris Society Species group book - A Guide to species Irises  which lists it as a synomyn which I will scan.
Any links or information please???
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Iris astrachanica
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
I have ordered Iris astrachanica seed from SIGNA and quarantine have seized them as that name is not on the Permitted Seed list on ICON but it is a synonym for Iris scariosa on the SIGNA database. I need to provide proof of the connection so I would be so appreciative if anyone can point me to some more literature - especially growing conditions, I  have a nine page questionaire to fill in.

I can't help on growing condition, but the up to date Kew monocot database lists I scariosa as the valid name and I astrachanica as a synonym
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?accepted_id=322355&repSynonym_id=-9998&name_id=321576&status=false

Diane

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

arillady

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 11:19:09 PM »
Many thanks Dianne for the link - have printed off reference.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »
Yes Pat, I know all about the pleasures -actually headaches-of our Permitted Seed List on ICON ,
and filling out the weedassesment forms.You can blame Marcus Harvey for failing to add the obscure
I.astrachanica to the Permitted List - he was responsible for the Genus Iris , Fritillaria and Crocus.
 I was asked by Biosecurity Australia to do Colchicum Cyclamen, Corydalis, Lilium , Gentiana and a few other smaller genera[ with the help of a few other knowledgeable members of our local group of The Alpine Garden Soc.] of those plants that were already in cultivation in Australia. -to go onto  ICON.
    Have you tried Google search : Index Kewensis.?
  There is a very detailed description of  I. scariosa on page 178 -179 in "The Genus Iris" by R.D.Dykes
 the original edition of 1913, which I'm lucky to own. But there is no mention of  I. astrachanica .
  sorry I can't be of more help.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 04:52:41 PM »
@Pat: I have got seeds of I. astrachanica too this year.A friend, a famous botanist, grow some plants in his garden.I don`t believe that there are problems with raising this species, it is an Eupogon species.

If you want, I can tell you the adress of my friend for further questions ?
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

arillady

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:23:57 AM »
I have posted off the AQIS forms with my fingers crossed.
Gerhard if you got the seed through SIGNA I understand that it is not correct.
If you did order through SIGNA I will send on my information that I received from Carla on the history of the seed.
As it is a Eupogon I thought I should be able to grow the real Iris astrachanica - if you friend has some spare seed sometime and if I get the OK from AQIS I would like to try the correct seed.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal