We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus May 2015  (Read 6821 times)

latestart

Re: Narcissus May 2015
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 11:21:56 PM »
Fingers crossed for a  better  timed season next year, eh?  Frustrating  for you, but a grand display.
Thank you Maggie. I need to do some more reading on how to plant a pot of daffs for a show. I don't normally grow any in pots and was uncertain about the number of bulbs req'd to give a decent potful which are all open at the same time (hopefully show day) and all the same height. Considering how easy they are to grow in the garden it is a surprise to find there is quite a lot of skill to reach exhibition standard. I have learned a little and enjoyed a lot so I'm not complaining.
Roma I was interested to see the N. poeticus ssp. recurvus. Its a lovely crisp flower. I have planted some seeds of that. Have you any idea how long it takes from seeds to flowering size?     

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
Yes, it was nice of Matt to have a Chorister surplus. I'm frilled. ;D

No puns from me, just hope they grow ok and some of the babies are as beautiful as the mother.

This has generally been a disappointing year for seed all round.  :( I only got seed off 3 Narcissus and about the same for the Crocus. The autumn was dreadful, so only the earliest flowerers set seed. Although a late N.obesus has seed pods swelling. Just a small donation for the SeedEx. this year.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

latestart

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 10:38:34 AM »
Some more narcissus in my garden (in pots).
Sun Disc which has a white mucro on the petals like Golden Ducat
Golden Ducat.

Little Witch x 2
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:44:41 AM by latestart »

latestart

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 10:53:22 AM »
and more narcissus still flowering
N. Thalia
N. Salome
N.Pipit
N.Blushing Lady

latestart

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 10:57:05 AM »
N. Double Smiles is a firm favourite of mine here is a better photo.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 08:37:36 PM »
Nice to see the daffodils still flowering with you.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 06:17:10 AM »
No puns from me, just hope they grow ok and some of the babies are as beautiful as the mother.

This has generally been a disappointing year for seed all round.  :( I only got seed off 3 Narcissus and about the same for the Crocus. The autumn was dreadful, so only the earliest flowerers set seed. Although a late N.obesus has seed pods swelling. Just a small donation for the SeedEx. this year.
Thanks Matt. My pot labelled Narcissus serotinus I have been nurturing for 4 years now has a bud appearing in the centre of the bunch of leaves from one bulb. Clearly NOT serotinus, so, as has been suggested, may be bulbocodium serotinus?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Roma

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:59 PM »
Latestart, I have not grown Narcissus poeticus from seed so have no idea how long it takes. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
Dull this evening with no wind for a change so got some better pictures of Narcissus 'Baby Moon' seedlings.  Unfortunately the slugs like them as much as I do.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Mini-daffs

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Hi
Prom Dance looks very much like Splatter that was bred by Rod Barwick. Photos of Splatter are on Daffseek and I suspect I have posted a photo of our feral Splatter that is growing between our rows on this forum in the past. In any case I have attached a copy of the photograph.
Graham, Canberra, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 03:04:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

latestart

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2015, 04:31:13 PM »
Hi
Prom Dance looks very much like Splatter that was bred by Rod Barwick. Photos of Splatter are on Daffseek and I suspect I have posted a photo of our feral Splatter that is growing between our rows on this forum in the past. In any case I have attached a copy of the photograph.
I have just read what Mini-daffs and Maggie said and investigated some more. I find the family trees of my daffs very interesting. I think he is correct Maggie. I will not be a winning photographer so probably misled you on the size of the bloom. There are 2 or 3 flowers per stem. I checked that I got the name of what I bought and grew matched. I bought 5 bulbs in a Taylor's prepack supplied via Dobbies GC. On the front of the prepack it says Prom Dance, Chelsea favourite. Googling the name shows it is being sold from many of the websites including at least one where the owners are SRGC members. It was apparently used as Prom Dance in "Which" trials see  http://www.spieringandco.com/-Narcissus-The-Harbingers-of-Spring to read what it says. You are correct mini-daffs in saying it is not on daffseek but Splatter is and was registered as such by GBF in 1999. Interestingly it was shown at the Harrowgate Spring Flower Show 2015 as Prom Dance. Is there a protocol in place for dealing with this type of error? if it is an error. I'm not latestart for nothing. This is totally outwith my field of knowledge. When I started to take gardening seriously a friend advised me to learn the latin names of plants so that I would not buy an inferior product but that is no help here. I hope you can help get to the bottom of the puzzle. To try and help re relative sizes I went out and picked five multiheaded daffs. and took some photos. I think the smallest one is a jonquilla but it was given by a friend who had surplus bulbs and there was a few different ones, none of them named. The photos also include Winston Churchill, February Gold, and Thalia.     

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2015, 05:22:56 PM »
These puzzles can be interesting, eh?
Nice posy of daffs, anyway.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2015, 06:21:47 PM »
I don't think I saw February Gold on any of the pictures and I'd be surprised if it was still flowering in May ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

latestart

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 04:38:11 PM »
I don't think I saw February Gold on any of the pictures and I'd be surprised if it was still flowering in May ???
Sorry for the delay in replying but it takes me so long to take photos and resize them. LOL David they don't call you Hawkeye for nothing. The yellow narcissus on my earlier post is Quail. I planted four pots of Quail into a big pot beside a climbing rose. I placed several pots of bulbs on the ground in front of the pot. There are 3 pots of N. February Gold still flowering among those pots. I do not see a lot of differences between the flowers on these but I know I was extra careful when planting the bulbs to ensure only the prepack I was planting was open before going on to the next. All were bought as prepacks. The reason I was being so careful was that I hoped to show some in our SRGC show in 2015. All were left to their own devices and the vagaries of the weather. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal