We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse  (Read 506226 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2008, 09:12:01 AM »
And here the second batch:

Narcissus Diamond Ring     
Fritillaria Gokzun Gold   
Fritillaria Gokzun Gold cl.             

Parrot Tulip      (the decision if you like it is yours)
   Perhaps something special for Lesley??    ;D   
Fritillaria pinardii   Ole Sonderhausen
Fritillaria pinardii   Ole Sonderhausen cl.             

Fritillaria sdl.                                          (of Fr. bucharica type)       

Ornithogalum dubium
Tulipa Dimension  This tulip was standing in the showroom since February 25th!
                        Still looking remarkably good.
Hyacinthus Prince of Love         
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »
Super images Luit....please keep up the good work....

As for the Parrot tulip.....'Who's NOT a pretty boy then'?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »
That Ornithogalum dubium is very nice.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »
Just found out I forgot one interesting bulb of the show;
Muscari anatolicum
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2008, 08:25:26 PM »
As usual Luit I have enjoyed your pictures.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52:54 PM »
So have I Luit. The Muscari is particularly attractive.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »
Luit,

Thanks a lot for your wonderful pictures from exibitions. I enjoy them a lot, especially tulips, as they are my passion and have already 250 different tulip varieties in my collection.

I especially now take interest into older varieties, among which are many much better cultivars than those new introductions, which are only better fore forcing, but not for the garden. Unfortunately they aren't offered in trade or very rarely offered. As you live in Holland I would kindly ask you if you can learn if such varieties as 'Indian Chief', 'Tantalus', 'Panorama' and 'Lous XIV' (Single Late division (former Breeder)) are still grown commercially by some nursery in the Netherlands. You can probably ask some spesialists who exibit tulips in the show. These varieties have a special beauty and unusual colour for tulips, but, unfortunately, I don't see them anymore in trade.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. I'll have to go on sending pictures of the shows, don't I ?  ;) :)

Zhirair, about your question about the old tulips I can tell you that these varieties are not in commercial production. Since the Darwin Hybrids came, most of these varieties disappeared.

In the Connoisseur Collection there are :
Tantalus, Louis XIV and Panorama.

I'll try to remember when they start to flower and hope to make some pictures.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2008, 05:51:38 AM »
Luit,

Thanks for the information. What is the Connoisseur Collection and where is it located. I'll be just super if you manage to photograph these cultivars. They are late-blooming with exceptional beauty. I just know that these cultivars are grown in the collection of Hortus Bulborum. I've ordered their book lately, but pity that you can not make a choise regarding the varieties when ordring from them.

I am always surprised why those wonderful cultivars, which are no longer in commercial production. Many of the old tulips are much better than those new cultivars and very good growers in the garden, which can grow without lifting for many years. Knowing well the nature of tulips I can say that new cultivars don't surpass old varieties at all; they are just more suitable for commercial growing (especially for mechanical labour as for potatos), have good forcing qualities and rate of propagation. But from the point of decorativeness the new cultivars are far to surpass the old ones.

During Soviet period, there were many local tulip growers in our country offering over 1000 varieties of different tulips, including many rare ones. Ater the collapse of the country when the Dutch conquered our market with their chiep prices, many of the local growers stopped their business finding it not profitable anymore from the commercial point of vew. And the same situation is in our country now as well. Only around 300 tulips are curcling in the market, the others dissapeared. All companies offer the same range of tulip cultivars, which is very boring and even not interesting to collect, becuse they are widely awalable everywhere.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
Hyacinthus Miss Saigon     

Chionoscilla allenii           

And there was a nice presentation of seedlings from hybridising
the dark red Corydalis Zwanenburg with a pink C. decipiens.

Corydalis solida Zwanenburg x C. decipiens

Some Hepatica selections

Hepatica transsylvanica Blue Eyes
Hepatica transsylvanica Blue Jewel

Two weeks ago I showed a picture of Amorphophallus which
was brought in flower today.

Amorphophallus rivierii   

And there were many tulips ofcourse:

Tulipa Provence         
Tulipa batalini Bright Gem 1             
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:01:34 AM by Lvandelft »

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »
I hope I will go some day to Lisse flowershow.

Luit,
let me please to correct you -- since I was born in Transylvania -- it must be Hepatica tranSylvaniCa, not transsylvaniva. :)

And thank you for the every week presentation. :)
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 08:27:10 AM »
Luit,
Most interesting selection - as always!
It is the first time a I heared of  Chionoscilla allenii - a natural hybrid between Chionodoxa forbesii x Scilla bifolia (Google). Even beautiful Corydalis hybrids! Thank you!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Luit,

As always, your pics are wonderful! Fringed tulip 'Provence' has very nice and tender colour combination, not mentioning its beautiful flower shape. I always keep an eye on brand new tulip cultivars, but this one is unfamilliar to me.
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2008, 08:54:16 AM »
I hope I will go some day to Lisse flowershow.

Luit,
let me please to correct you -- since I was born in Transylvania -- it must be Hepatica tranSylvaniCa, not transsylvaniva. :)

:-[ :-[ :-[ ::)
Sorry Kathrine, it just happens sometimes typing a bit quick and as the v and c are so close
together.....
So next time it will be transsylvanica  as it should be, I hope?  ;D  8)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2008, 08:56:58 AM »
Luit,

As always, your pics are wonderful! Fringed tulip 'Provence' has very nice and tender colour combination, not mentioning its beautiful flower shape. I always keep an eye on brand new tulip cultivars, but this one is unfamilliar to me.

Zhirair it seems to be a trend, because I see those fringed forms more often the last years.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal