We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse  (Read 504534 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« Reply #930 on: January 10, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
This thread is formed from the pages of previous years for Luit van Delft's musings from the weekly flower show at Lisse, in the Netherlands, of the KAVB, which translates in English as   Royal General Bulbgrowers' Association

When clicking this link: http://www.ishs.org/sci/icralist/49.htm  you will come to the ICRA Report Sheet showingthose bulbs for which KAVB is the official registrar.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #931 on: January 11, 2011, 10:06:58 AM »
Thanks Maggi!
260778-0

Edit by Maggi: Happy to help, Luit and thanks for these lovely Dutch Tulips  ;)  8)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 01:53:20 PM by Maggi Young »
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #932 on: January 12, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
At the first KAVB Show of this year as usual not so many entries. But at the moment all color is welcome :)
I selected a few of the better tulips:

Tulipa Krasa                           
Tulipa Rosy Delight                                   
Tulipa Spryng                                     
Tulipa Violinde                                       

and there was a nice Narcissus:
Narcissus Nylon Group yellow form 

Second try  ::) ::)     
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #933 on: January 12, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
Interesting naming on that last one. ???  Definitely a petunioides type, not something I would even vaguely have associated with a "Nylon" group?  Some beautiful Tulips (and the Narcissus as well for that matter).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #934 on: January 19, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
This week we saw amongst others a nice pot of Hyacinthus Anastasia and a few entries with Narcissus:

Hyacinthus Anastasia                               
Narcissus 
Narcissus romieuxii JCA 805 Atlas Gold cl.           
Narcissus romieuxii JCA 805 Treble Chance cl.             
Narcissus romieuxii Julia Jane     

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #935 on: January 19, 2011, 06:54:06 PM »
Some tulips which I selected out of the many entries:

Tulipa Coquette Yellow             
Tulipa Dea                 
Tulipa Tom Pouce                                       

and the choice of pot-tulips developes slowly:
Tulipa Ministar 
Tulipa [Ministar] rode mutant                 
Tulipa Salmon Crown

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #936 on: January 19, 2011, 07:16:59 PM »
Lovely narcissus Luit.  Do you know why they are labelled JC805 by any chance?  Just curious.  I have some in bud at the moment.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #937 on: January 19, 2011, 09:00:46 PM »
Chris, JCA 805 is just the Archibald collection number which has remained close to the group of bulbs he collected on that occasion, mainly, I suppose, because so many good plants were selected from it, such as 'Julia Jane,' 'Atlas Gold,' 'Treble Chance' and (I think) 'Joy Bishop.' Perhaps others. Mostly collection numbers get abandoned after a time and we go with just the genus and species names but when a collection is outstanding, sometimes the number sticks. Another such, is Clematis orientalis (vernayi now?) L and S 13342 which always is attached to the relevant plant because it is so much superior to other forms of the species.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #938 on: January 19, 2011, 10:04:56 PM »
This week we saw amongst others a nice pot of Hyacinthus Anastasia and a few entries with Narcissus:

Hyacinthus Anastasia                                
Narcissus  

I doubt that the last one is really 'Julia'Jane.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #939 on: January 19, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
Chris, JCA 805 is just the Archibald collection number which has remained close to the group of bulbs he collected on that occasion, mainly, I suppose, because so many good plants were selected from it, such as 'Julia Jane,' 'Atlas Gold,' 'Treble Chance' and (I think) 'Joy Bishop.' Perhaps others. Mostly collection numbers get abandoned after a time and we go with just the genus and species names but when a collection is outstanding, sometimes the number sticks. Another such, is Clematis orientalis (vernayi now?) L and S 13342 which always is attached to the relevant plant because it is so much superior to other forms of the species.
Thanks for your help Lesley. What you write in a few minutes would cost me half an hour  ::) ::)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #940 on: January 19, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
Glorious pics as always, Luit.  Thanks.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #941 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »

Hyacinthus Anastasia                                
Narcissus  

ex 'Julia Jane' ?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #942 on: January 20, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »

Hyacinthus Anastasia                                
Narcissus  

ex 'Julia Jane' ?
David - Insofar as one can judge from a photo, the plants shown by Luit are very close, if not identical, to those distributed by (& presumably imported by) Miniature Bulbs in the UK. You have these plants & so do I; they are really quite different to 'Julia Jane', a petunioid form. I see that MB have changed their description &  currently refer to their plants as: "N.romieuxii JCA805 'Julia Jane' group   - A quality selection from JCA 805." These plants are fairly typical of the  seedlings that can be obtained from JCA 805 so, other than for sales purposes, I cannot see the point of the reference to 'Julia Jane'.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #943 on: January 20, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
Thanks Lesley,  I have often wondered.  When mine comes into bloom I'll post a picture.  It doesn't have a name, just JCA 805...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Gerry Webster

« Reply #944 on: January 20, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »
Chris - if you are interested, JCA 805 was collected  in 1962 in Morocco, Middle Atlas Mountains above Ifrane. Jim Archibald describes the population as very variable in both form & colour & this variation is represented in the range of  cultivars which have been selected from seedlings of  JCA 805.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal