We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Corydalis nobilis  (Read 4429 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Corydalis nobilis
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
 I doubt it is likely to be C. aurea.   The Tebbit, Liden and Zetterlund  book describes the flowers as being "shorter than or slightly exceeding the leaves" ( page 119)  and the e-flora description says the foliage is "glaucous"   ( http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=233500427 )

None of the photos of the large plant that seems to be the most regular "imposter" for C. nobilis have those  characteristics. The flowering stems all extend well beyond  the foliage  and are hardly blue green at all. Plus C. aurea seems not to have the very prominent greenish markings on the upper part of the flowers.

I'm intrigued - I'll do more research!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 04:09:49 PM »
Interesting discussion and sleuthing. For what it's worth, my robust plants of C. nobilis make masses of seed, yet never seed around in the garden. Two years ago I specifically sowed some fresh seed, treated like other spring ephemeral seed and keep shaded and moist, only got about 6 seedlings in spring out of 100s of seed sown.

Corydalis nobilis from May 2015, notice the leaf forms can be a bit variable.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Tristan_He

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2015, 08:43:22 PM »
Hi Maggi, think you are probably right - also just came across C. heterocarpa which seems to match very well:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=2&taxon_id=250090080

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Corydalis_heterocarpa_var_japonica_01.jpg

Tristan

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2015, 09:07:37 PM »
I think you may have hit the nail on the head now, Tristan!

I sent a selection of  photos earlier this evening  to Henrik Zetterlund to ask his opinion  :)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:30:08 AM »
Hi Maggi, think you are probably right - also just came across C. heterocarpa which seems to match very well:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Corydalis_heterocarpa_var_japonica_01.jpg
Tristan
Hi Tristan,
That looks like what was being grown in Australia for many years as C. nobilis! It can be an absolute thug in Melbourne gardens but we didn't bring any with us when we moved to the country so don't know what it would do here.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Tristan_He

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »
To go back to C. nobilis, if anyone can spare fresh seed of the real thing, please PM me. I've tried it before from Jelitto but I had no luck, probably as it has such a short viability. Happy to swap.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 03:06:29 PM »
I couldn't resist sharing  here this article from Robbie Blackhall-Miles - he writes of Petunia exserta, being grown from seed from  Derry at Special Plants !! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2015/jul/30/petunia-exserta-a-flower-on-the-brink-of-extinction

In order to keep the species though, it may be necessary to grow it well away from other petunias- http://www.specialplants.net/shop/seeds/petunia_exserta/ 

ChrisD

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2015, 04:33:16 PM »
Wow, I havent been on this thread for a week and have missed all the excitment  ???

Derry, I called in at your fabulous nursery a couple of months ago. A lovely selection of plants. This thread is a perfect example of the the forum can resolve all sorts of problems, even problems you didnt know you had!

Tristan, I suspect you are too late this year, at least for very fresh seed. I suggest you post again next spring, my original post resulted in a very generous gift of seed from a forum member. Hopefully these will result in lots of babies next spring.

Maggi, as usual a splendid effort in gathering together all the information from the various sources, and to Tristan - thanks for identifying the imposter. It will be interesting to see if Henrik agrees.

Chris
Letchworth Garden City, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 02:07:13 PM »
Henrik Zetterlund  has returned and  his first  reaction was that  the "query"plant is  Corydalis speciosa

However, he has consulted with Magnus Lidén and  Henrik thinks that his  was too hasty an opinion -  the two of them think -  "  it is a species within the heterocarpa-complex.  Orthopoda or heterocarpa.

Orthopoda is annual-biennial.

7a. Lowermost leaflets almost as large as rest of leaf; seeds ± sharply colliculate, shortly spinulose  toward margin; stigma transverse, with 2 small forward-projecting papillae and broad diffuse
lateral papillae............  30. C. orthopoda
7b. Lowermost leaflets considerably smaller than remainder of leaf; seeds ± spinulose all over;  stigma with ascending branches tipped with diffusely set off papillae.......................  31. C. heterocarpa    "

The plants we have supposed to be the  true C. nobilis are indeed that species. :)

I think we are most fortunate to be able to consult these guys - thanks Henrik and Magnus !!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal