We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Buddleja colvilei 'Kewensis'  (Read 888 times)

brianw

Buddleja colvilei 'Kewensis'
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:38:36 PM »
I put in a young plant of this last summer, bought at an RHS show I think. It had some new growth by the autumn, but not exactly vigorous. Sat there over winter with small shoots on its tips but these now seem papery. Buddleja weeds in the garden, and 'Black Knight' too, are growing vigorously. Is B. colvilei slow to start or more tender than I thought in an open position? It is not in a frost pocket.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
Re: Buddleja colvilei 'Kewensis'
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 11:06:57 PM »
Yes, borderline hardy. Give it time.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »
The commonly grown B. davidii is a bit of a thug and is banned in many areas. It is fast growing unlike B. colvilei and many other species which take a few years to get going. I have a couple of forms of colvilei in the garden, both still small and both yet to flower. Winter knocks them back but they are root hardy. Quite a few species are borderline here and of course some are completely tender and overwinter in the polytunnel.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

brianw

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 08:08:46 PM »
Thanks. A little patience needed. I have only seen it previously in John Good's garden looking over the Menai straights, a somewhat different climate to my garden.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal