We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hose-in-hose true from seed  (Read 2109 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Hose-in-hose true from seed
« on: April 02, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »
A few years ago (maybe 5-10) there was publicity about somebody who had managed to breed hose-in-hose primulas that came true from seed  I think this article may refer to this http://www.lathyrus-seed.com/paradise/flowers/hose.html .  There was a stand, at an RHS London Show I think, and I bought one.  It lasted a few years but then died out.  And it produced one hose-in-hose seedling that appeared in a crack in the patio paving -  but my wife put a pot on top of it and did for that.  I would like to try again but I have never seen this strain offered since.  Does anyone know where to get hold of them? 
Almost in Scotland.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Re: Hose-in-hose true from seed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
Seeds of hose-in-hose are available from Barnhaven and Owl's Acre Seeds
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Barnhaven may be the best possibility now Alan but don't know if they will be still in stock, they have seed also

http://www.barnhaven.com/enthusiasts-primroses

Failing that try Val Woolley at Field House Nursery in Gotham (no, not that one!)  Nottinghamshire (01159 830 278 ) or val.woolleyATbtinternet.com

They don't do mail order for plants but Val is a fount of knowledge on things Primula and may know who is stocking them in UK
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
Thanks.  Do I take it you cannot buy the actual plants any more, just the seeds?
Almost in Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Dunno Alan, it's well worth contacting Barnhaven and ask if they have any plants in stock. Their Web Site suggests there may be.

info@barnhaven.com
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »
A PM from Olive Mason has made me think that the ones I am after were marketed under the 'You-and Me' brand name.  This article http://www.transatlanticplantsman.com/transatlantic_plantsman/2010/01/hoseinhose-primulas-the-you-and-me-series.html makes that link, again referencing the late Kees Sahin as well as other plant breeders.

I understand that these 'You-and-Me' primulas made it into garden centres for a while but have come and gone.  So perhaps I will have to try to grow from seed - although at 20p per seed I would still rather get the mature plants if possible.   
Almost in Scotland.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
I used the same link to find Owl's Acre site  ;) but it seems that you can find seeds a bit cheeper (but usually only blue !) :
Thompson&Morgan
Plants of distinction

I couldn't find (with Google) mature plant except in a wholesale nursery in Czech Republic...
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »
This is in the pipeline for mass production. Upper flower removed to show what's below
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal