We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Notes from Norway  (Read 38036 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Notes from Norway
« Reply #180 on: July 13, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »
Very enjoyable Trond, many thanks.

You're welcome David!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #181 on: July 13, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
Trond,

I certainly enjoyed the information and photographs of your native Gentiana species. Other than the two Gentiana species I mentioned earlier we also have Gentianella amarella, Gentianopsis holopetala, and Gentianopisi simplex in our area. I will post photographs if I do come across them this summer - fall.

As of today there has been no germination with the Cloudberries. I hope that they get enough winter chill this winter as I am certain that they will germinate sooner or later.

Your gray leaved Salix species are fantastic! I would love to grow them however I know that Salix seed generally does not stay viable very long, often only for hours before they need to find moisture. Recently I found some Salix petrophila, formerly S. arctica, with ripe seed near Red Lake Peak. I planted it immediately upon returning to the farm. I could have easily taken cuttings however I wanted to see if I could get the seed to germinate. This is one of those small creeping species from the high elevations of the Sierra Nevada.

Salix orestera is another local Willow species with great wooly, gray foliage. I will certainly photograph it when I see more.

One question, does Phyllodoce caerulea grow in areas where there is Norwegian type summer heat? I have success growing our local Phyllodoce breweri here at the farm. Cassiope mertensiana from local seed also grows well.

Thank you for all the effort putting together the photographs, making comments and answering questions. It is greatly appreciated!  :)

Well Robert,

I am the one to thank you! You always give me great pleasure with your pictures and comments from California :D

Gentianella amara is a native of N. too but not around here. Gentianopsis is an unknown genus to me although one species grows in the north of N.

I can send you some seed of the gray-leaved Salixes to try. The seeds ripen now and it is worth trying. I have never tried sowing them myself but as the catkins sit on the shrub for weeks slowly releasing the seeds I think they live longer than a few days.

I have only planted one small Salix species in my home garden (S reticulata). The other ones tend to be too big, and they do best in open sunny situations. Here in the mountains they are so common that I haven't bothered planting any although I always look out for the best colour just in case ;)

Salix petrophila looks great! S. arctica grows in Svalbard where I saw it 2 years ago. S orestera looks a bit similar to glauca from the pics when I google it.

Phyllodoce caerulea grows in the mountains here in the south. I don't know whether they can take prolonged heat but around here the summers can be rather warm (that is around 30C/86F in Norway!). I had one plant in my home garden for many years (but the summers there are cooler than up here, especially the day temps. I can look for seeds if you are interested but the plant is difficult to find out of flower as it looks very similar to Empetrum which is abundant!

Cassiope is a beautiful genus! We have but one species in N and it grows in the north. I did see a lot of it in Svalbard.

Cassiope tetragona:

Hoy

« Reply #182 on: July 13, 2015, 03:14:59 PM »
It is a little rainy today so I have time to do some homework ;)

View from a rocky outcropping at about 1150m.

Two species of birch grow here, Betula pubescens ssp tortuosa, (mountain birch)  and B nana (dwarf birch). They hybridize a lot and the offspring is a mix of the two parents.

The "big" tree is mountain birch, the low shrub is the cross and in the foreground is the smaller dwarf birch.

Arctostaphylos alpinus with unripe berries.

Seedpods of Loiseleuria (or is it Kalmia now?) procumbens. It usually flowers in the snow.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:27:05 AM by Hoy »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #183 on: July 13, 2015, 04:58:55 PM »
Trond,

I was up early and took a few photographs mainly at the top of the farm property. The sun was just coming up so many of the photographs did not turn out as it was still too dark for my camera. I'll try again.

Oak savannah / woodland. Some locations are more open and savannah like, others are more woodland like.

This view shows how dry our conditions are. Oak savannah with Blue Oak, Quercus douglasii.

A nicely shaped Blue Oak, Quercus douglasii.

Some of the rock outcroppings at the top of the property.

An early morning view to the northeast. This time of year the leaves on the trees block the view of the higher mountains.

We have 4 species of oak on the farm property; Quecus douglasii, by far the most numerous, Q. wislizenii, Interior Live Oak, Quercus lobata, Valley Oak, and Q xmorehus, Oracle Oak, a natural hybrid of Q. kelloggii and Q. wislizenii. California Gray Pine, Pinus sabiniana,  also grows here. Where there is plenty of moisture we have Fremont Cottonwood, Populus Fremontii, and two willow species, Salix lasiandra and S. goodingii.

The grass, mostly Ripgut Broom Grass - terrible stuff, not native, will not turn green around here until late October or early November when the fall winter rains return.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »
Trond,

I would enjoy trying some seed of  Phyllodoce caerulea.

Gathering seed has been "hit or miss" for me this season.  :(  I will be returning to caregiving duty soon so who knows what I will be able to gather then. Despite the difficulties I still have fresh seed of many species and I am sure that I will have the opportunity to gather more. Hopefully we can do some trading.  ;D

The panorama views are great! I will try to get some from around here too.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriel B

• Freezing winters, hot summers
    • Gabriel's photos on Flickr
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2015, 06:03:50 PM »
Trond, I love Antennaria! We call them pussytoes here. They would certainly make a great lawn. Here in North America, they also serve as the caterpillar host for the American painted lady butterfly (Vanessa virginiensis), and I've seen the butterflies laying eggs on them. They're beautiful, so I'm glad I have so many pussytoes for them to eat. Do you know if there is a European butterfly or moth whose caterpillars eat pussytoes?

I have three species, Antennaria neglecta, A. plantaginifolia, and A. dioica. A. neglecta serves as groundcover on a hill that I planted with dry-loving species, and A. plantaginifolia (which has pretty large leaves, about 2 inches (5 cm) long, with five prominent veins) in the moister rain garden, where it grows around tall plants. I haven't found a good place for A. dioica yet.

Oops, one of my images is rotated wrong!   Edit by maggi - rotation fixed. Edit by Gabriel: Thank you once again, Maggi!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:08:32 PM by Gabriel B »
Gabriel
Cyclamen and bleeding-heart lover in Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Average daily high of 22 F (-6 C) in January, 83 F (28 C) in July; 22 days dropping below 0 F (-18 C) each winter

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #186 on: July 13, 2015, 09:41:24 PM »
Super pictures of antennaria and painted ladies Gabriel! I'd never thought of growing this in the lawn but what an interesting idea. Trond it is so very nice to see the landscapes around you in Norway - we are relatively built up in N. Kent and you can't escape from development despite some lovely smaller scale natural areas of woodland and downland. Those open vistas are very compelling.

I wonder what Linnaeus would make of all the name changes occurring for plants at the moment - Loiseleuria versus Kalmia? It is difficult to see the value of such a change if the purpose of names is to communicate about plants. The 'Mountain Azalea' is so unique - maybe we need to return to using 'common names'  ;).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2015, 09:59:00 PM »
Trond,

A few more photographs of some of the native trees on the farm property.

California Gray Pine, Pinus sabiniana.

Valley Oak, Quercus lobata. We only have a few on the property. Generally they grow on the bottom land in the California Central Valley. Their habitat has been decimated. We are losing the few remaining trees to agriculture and other forms of development. Mature trees and seedlings are suffering.

Interior Live Oak, Quercus wislizenii. The arching growth is typical of this species. On some of the ancient trees huge branches arch all the way to the ground and then arch back above the ground. When I was young we would play in such trees.

Quercus wislizenii foliage.

Foliage of Quercus lobata.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2015, 10:07:37 PM »

Fremont's Cottonwood, Populus fremontii. A good tree for acreage like the farm. The roots can cause many problems in our area. On the farm they have plenty of room and stay out of trouble. The leaves flutter in the wind and they have bright gold fall foliage.

Populus fremontii, foliage.

Foliage, Blue Oak, Quercus douglasii.

Oracle Oak, Quercus x morehus. This is a natural hybrid of California Black Oak, Quercus kelloggii and Interior Live Oak, Quercus wislizenii. We do not have any Black Oak on the property, however they do grow nearby.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #189 on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:38 AM »
Trond,

I was up early and took a few photographs mainly at the top of the farm property. The sun was just coming up so many of the photographs did not turn out as it was still too dark for my camera. I'll try again.

Oak savannah / woodland. Some locations are more open and savannah like, others are more woodland like.

This view shows how dry our conditions are. Oak savannah with Blue Oak, Quercus douglasii.

A nicely shaped Blue Oak, Quercus douglasii.

Some of the rock outcroppings at the top of the property.

An early morning view to the northeast. This time of year the leaves on the trees block the view of the higher mountains.

We have 4 species of oak on the farm property; Quecus douglasii, by far the most numerous, Q. wislizenii, Interior Live Oak, Quercus lobata, Valley Oak, and Q xmorehus, Oracle Oak, a natural hybrid of Q. kelloggii and Q. wislizenii. California Gray Pine, Pinus sabiniana,  also grows here. Where there is plenty of moisture we have Fremont Cottonwood, Populus Fremontii, and two willow species, Salix lasiandra and S. goodingii.

The grass, mostly Ripgut Broom Grass - terrible stuff, not native, will not turn green around here until late October or early November when the fall winter rains return.

Robert,

I think your property looks exciting despite the dry conditions :) The assortment of trees is also impressive!
Seems the mature trees stand the drought well but what about seedlings?

I do see why a lawn is water costly but you should be able do grow a lot of different bulbs suited for a Mediterranean climate if you are interested.

I read about that grass, terrible thing :o  We have about 10 species of Bromus but not that species.

How cold does it get there during winter?

Hoy

« Reply #190 on: July 14, 2015, 07:00:29 AM »
Trond,

I would enjoy trying some seed of  Phyllodoce caerulea.

Gathering seed has been "hit or miss" for me this season.  :(  I will be returning to caregiving duty soon so who knows what I will be able to gather then. Despite the difficulties I still have fresh seed of many species and I am sure that I will have the opportunity to gather more. Hopefully we can do some trading.  ;D

The panorama views are great! I will try to get some from around here too.

Robert,

I'll look out for them in the fall. Ripening of seeds is slower here ;)
Please don't hesitate to tell if it is other seeds you wish. I have to know what to collect as I only collect what people ask for.

Hoy

« Reply #191 on: July 14, 2015, 07:20:56 AM »
Trond, I love Antennaria! We call them pussytoes here. They would certainly make a great lawn. Here in North America, they also serve as the caterpillar host for the American painted lady butterfly (Vanessa virginiensis), and I've seen the butterflies laying eggs on them. They're beautiful, so I'm glad I have so many pussytoes for them to eat. Do you know if there is a European butterfly or moth whose caterpillars eat pussytoes?

I have three species, Antennaria neglecta, A. plantaginifolia, and A. dioica. A. neglecta serves as groundcover on a hill that I planted with dry-loving species, and A. plantaginifolia (which has pretty large leaves, about 2 inches (5 cm) long, with five prominent veins) in the moister rain garden, where it grows around tall plants. I haven't found a good place for A. dioica yet.

Oops, one of my images is rotated wrong!   Edit by maggi - rotation fixed.

Gabriel,

The Norw. name of the plants means pussyfoot!

I have checked a little and it seems that no caterpillar of butterflies use Antennaria as a host. I don't know whether any moth caterpillar does though.
Maybe I should introduce some of the American painted lady - I know they are in southern Europe.

We have two other Vanessa species and they are great!

In S. Norway it is only two species of Antennaria, A dioica and alpina. alpina has the nicest foliage I think but the other can have showier bloom.

Antennaria alpina leaf:

Antennaria dioica is very variable as you can see here:

Male and female flowers are on separate plants.

I once grew A plantaginifolia from seed and had a nice patch in my garden but it disappeared  :( Does it like it moist?

Hoy

« Reply #192 on: July 14, 2015, 07:32:03 AM »
Trond,

A few more photographs of some of the native trees on the farm property.

. . . .

I love trees! Especially oaks but I have too small property to grow all I want :-\  It seems you have some acres to grow trees ;D

The oak leaves are so different from species to species it is a pity the two native species are so similar.

Hoy

« Reply #193 on: July 14, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »
Super pictures of antennaria and painted ladies Gabriel! I'd never thought of growing this in the lawn but what an interesting idea. Trond it is so very nice to see the landscapes around you in Norway - we are relatively built up in N. Kent and you can't escape from development despite some lovely smaller scale natural areas of woodland and downland. Those open vistas are very compelling.

I wonder what Linnaeus would make of all the name changes occurring for plants at the moment - Loiseleuria versus Kalmia? It is difficult to see the value of such a change if the purpose of names is to communicate about plants. The 'Mountain Azalea' is so unique - maybe we need to return to using 'common names'  ;).

Tim,

Using common names wouldn't be easier - when I look up English names for a plant it usually is more than one ;D

Good old Carl von Linné wouldn't approve the namechangings, he just regarded names as a way of sorting live organisms without a thought of relationship. In his world all where unique and created as it was. He also thought that plants could learn how to cope with new environments. He wanted to grow all kind of exotics in Lappland!

This area is not very far from Kent, Tim ;)

Robert

« Reply #194 on: July 14, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
Trond,

Bromus diandrus, Ripgut Broom Grass, is nasty stuff!  :P  We have about 25 species of Bromus, both native and non-native that grow in our area. In order to learn the native grasses, I have to learn all the invasive ones too - and there are so many! The grasses are not that difficult to key out, however the numbers makes the situation a bit challenging.

In the fall the landscape on the farm comes alive with the beginning of the rainy season. By spring there are many wildflowers (I encourage them to grow and reseed); Ranunculus canum, Dodecatheon hendersonii, and Lupinus bicolor bloom by the thousands. There are Delphiniums, 3 species of Sanicula, and many others wildflowers too. Various species of Triteleia, Brodiaea, Dichelostemma, and Calochortus are all native to the property. With proper stewardship the display improves as the years pass.

Stewardship is important with the regeneration of the trees as well as the other species that grow on the property. Even with the drought there are tree seedlings at various stages of growth and all thriving. Even first year seedlings are doing well this year.

99% or more of the neighboring properties use the "scorched earth" method of maintaining their properties. Their properties are dead - no wildflowers, no native shrubbery, and sometimes even the native trees are removed! The city people that move to the country see the native plants as weeds that need to be removed. In the summer, in too many cases, the ground is just dry dust! No plant life at all. This is all very sad.  :(

As you might except I try to grow all sorts of Mediterranean climate type plants and (mostly) bulbs. For plants that need much summer irrigation I limit them to tiny plants such as Cassiope, Gentiana, Corydalis, etc - something small - then I can care for them well and it looks beautiful. There was and still is a large Rhododendron garden. Many have died-off in the drought and I will replace them with xeric species. Over time most of the Rhododendrons will go - that part of my plant growing experience is over.

As for winter cold - most winters get to 20 F (-6.5 C), 17 F (-8 C ) is not uncommon. The all time low temperature is 8 F (-13 C). In the past wintertime snow was common, now, with climate change, there is much less snow in the wintertime. As a matter of fact, lately the winters have been so mild that some of the fruit trees have not been getting enough chilling hours to grow or set fruit properly.

Well enough with my long windedness. I am not sure when I will get away for an outing this week. Hopefully soon.  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 03:08:43 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal