We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Notes from Norway  (Read 38053 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Notes from Norway
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2015, 03:36:14 PM »
Robert,

If you want seed of P. crantzii I can easily collect some.

Trond,

I would very much enjoy giving this species a try.  ;D
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »
Although it has been the coldest May for years many plants are flowering well, especially those immune to slugs and snails :-X Like Rhododendrons!

Most are unnamed seedlings or I have forgotten the name!

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2015, 09:35:56 PM »
A few more . . . .

Hoy

« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
A few others . . .

Geranium tuberosum

Thalictrum alpinum - a native also suited for the rockery.

Salix magnifica - a rapidly growing Chinese shrub with handsome leaves and male catkins.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:52:52 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2015, 06:31:24 PM »
A few plants from a short trip to a nearby WW2 site. All the buildings are demolished but a lot of concrete foundations can still be seen. The area is planted with Sitka spruce and Pinus mugo. Fortunately some places are free of trees and there you can find some flowering plants.

Here and there it is small sphagnum bogs with plants like this Drosera rotundifolia. Still with small lower buds, but in a few weeks the white flowers will emerge.

At least two kinds of violets grow here, bog violet in the bogs and Viola riviniana in the fringe of the woods. I think all these are different forms of riviniana.

Hieracium pilosella grows on drier sites in full sun.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:33:54 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
Polygala serpyllifolia is very common, both the usual blue form and a light blue form.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2015, 06:50:59 PM »
I'm enjoying my Norwegian "visits"   Trond - as are thousands of us!  thank you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »
I'm enjoying my Norwegian "visits"   Trond - as are thousands of us!  thank you!

You are welcome, Maggi, my pleasure!

Hoy

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »
Since last Friday we have had some sun mixed with the rain. But a steady northerly wind keeps the temperature low - except the Friday mentioned - in the evening that day we had the warmest readings since last August 22C! .....for a couple of hours before the rain came back :-\

Dactylorhiza maculata is very common around here -both in bogs and on drier land. Still a bit early for full bloom but I spotted many in bud.

Pinguicula vulgaris - also common.

Usually Potentilla erecta is very untidy with its long slack stems more or less lying on the ground. Out here the plants are denser and much more tidy.

Trientalis europaea "wood star" but not limited to the forests.

Hoy

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »
Last post this time. . . .

Menyanthes trifoliata

Pedicularis sylvatica

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:58:01 AM by Hoy »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2015, 01:11:28 AM »
Trond,

I completely enjoyed your last posting!

I have to admit I am a sucker for Viola species. I enjoyed seeing some of the variation within the species, V. riviniana.

We have a number of Hieracium species here in California too. Some are blooming now, some have very hairy foliage. Pedicularis is another familiar friend around here.

Do the good forms of Potentilla erecta stay in good form in the garden?

Thank you for sharing your outing!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2015, 08:04:59 AM »
Isn't it wonderful how 'new' species (to me) of familiar genera appear all the time. The pale blue form of Polygala serpyllifolia is very beautiful - presumably it needs the same sort of cool acid soil as P. chamaebuxus? Trientalis europaea is simply the loveliest of things. We must get out to some of the more flower rich areas of Kent to discover more of the flora here - sadly these have declined hugely in the last 50 years and take so long to recover given careful management. Thanks Trond... (if ever a few stray seed of the polygala fall into your pocket ;))
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2015, 09:12:18 AM »
Most enjoyable Trond, lots to look at, lots to learn.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2015, 08:23:43 PM »
Trond,

I completely enjoyed your last posting!

I have to admit I am a sucker for Viola species. I enjoyed seeing some of the variation within the species, V. riviniana.

We have a number of Hieracium species here in California too. Some are blooming now, some have very hairy foliage. Pedicularis is another familiar friend around here.

Do the good forms of Potentilla erecta stay in good form in the garden?

Thank you for sharing your outing!

Robert,

Glad you liked it :)

Regarding the violets, I think they are the same species. I didn't key them but riviniana should be the one growing there.

Hieracium is a genus with many, maybe 1000 species in Norway but they are very similar. Most of the species are apomicts.
Pedicularis is a favorite genus of mine and P. sylvatica  is very nice when young. I think this is the subspecies hibernica.
I haven't tried this Potentilla in the garden but maybe I should. I have pondered ??? ;D

Isn't it wonderful how 'new' species (to me) of familiar genera appear all the time. The pale blue form of Polygala serpyllifolia is very beautiful - presumably it needs the same sort of cool acid soil as P. chamaebuxus? Trientalis europaea is simply the loveliest of things. We must get out to some of the more flower rich areas of Kent to discover more of the flora here - sadly these have declined hugely in the last 50 years and take so long to recover given careful management. Thanks Trond... (if ever a few stray seed of the polygala fall into your pocket ;))

That is what I like mostly with this site! You learn to know new species and you get your eyes opened for old ones you have forgotten or never given a proper notice.
I'll look for seed when I have a chance ;)

Most enjoyable Trond, lots to look at, lots to learn.

Glad you feel that David but I don't think I can teach you much :) Surely you have these species around you also?

Hoy

« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2015, 07:47:51 PM »
A few plants that flower now.

It is still about 30 rhododendrons in flower. Here are two:

Rhododendron 'Lem´s Monarch'

And Rh decorum

A pink lily of the valley (Convallaria majalis rosea spreads slowly. The flowers are smaller than the common white and the pink colour isn't the best but it is a nice plant still. I thought it was toxic but the slugs don't mind.

Most of the peonies are gone but some are still in flower like this cross between lutea and delavayi. I remove hundreds of seedlings of lute each year but a few have been allowed to flower, like this one.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 07:50:22 PM by Hoy »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal