We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Notes from Norway  (Read 38025 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Notes from Norway
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 05:33:13 PM »
Robert,

Here we have always used water like we had unlimited resources which was true, in a way, when we were fewer and the demand was lower.

Now increasing population, increased use (everybody takes at least one long shower almost every day), drier summers (maybe due to climatic changes) and pipelines getting old and leaky (50% of the water never reach the consumers) make it necessary to do something both with the infrastructure and the way water is used.

Although I disagree to much of what the politicians do I am not sure that we had come out better with another system of government.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 06:45:46 PM »
Trond,

If I understand correctly, in some situations Norway could have water shortages despite having plenty of water?

Leakage, lack of storage, increased population, etc.

Sadly, politics in the U.S.A. seems to be going down hill. Recently, there have been a number of anti-gay politicians promoting, among other things, legalizing the death penalty for being gay. Yes, you read this correctly! Online I am sure that one can find the Sacramento Bee, our local newspaper, with this front page headline (week of March 20 to 27, 2015).

I guess I am stupid, but I am not interested in living on a planet where some promote such ugly ideas. In protest, my wife and I put yellow Stars of David (like in the days of the 1930 - 40 Nazis) on our shirts saying "Who is next? - no intolerance!" My wife and I do not like living with such "stuff". I'm sure to get in trouble with this one, but then at what point does one speak out against such things.

It appears in Norway people are much more enlightened.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
Robert,

It's correct. We can have water shortage but not as severe as you have. Mostly we experience hose bans etc.

I have to admit that I sometimes raise an eyebrow when I read what's going on at your side of the Dam, but then I read something similar here.
We also like to think of ourselves as enlightened but it is not quite true of course.

But I can't imaging wearing a Star of David could bring me into any trouble though!

Robert

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2015, 03:19:32 AM »
Trond,

I am sure that the reality is somewhat more like - there has always been "stuff" going on somewhere at any time in history.
Another reality is that newspapers are trying to sell newspapers.

Better for me to keep my mind focused on gardening and other worth while thinking!  :)

It will be interesting to see how your spring progresses. As you travel around doing your diary, I know that name locations that I might find on a map could be useful to me as I am very curious about the geography, topography, local climatic conditions, etc. It is not likely that I will ever be in a position to visit Norway, but I do have a vivid imagination and will enjoy creating an image in my mind of the places you visit.

I really appreciate your efforts in regards to your dairy of plants in Norway.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2015, 05:53:31 PM »
Robert,

It hasn't been much wild plants to see till now. The spring is slow and the plants are waiting for warmer weather.
Inland it is still much snow.
I'll remember to include the place names when I travell!

Hoy

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »
Today we went to the beach! Not to bath but to walk and look at the flora. The weather was sunny but a cold northerly wind was annoying. Out here the spring is later than inland due to the still relatively cold Atlantic water (in the fall though it is the opposite - the water keeps the temperature up).

It takes about 40 minutes to drive from home by car. We live at a fjord and could take our boat but that had been a voyage of several hours! By car we can choose a bridge or a tunnel. The beach we had in mind is called Sandvesanden at the island of Karmøy. It is many rather nice beaches at the west coast of this island and in summer it is a lot of people here although the water never gets very warm (usually about 15C in summer). It is also nice to surf here.

The tunnel is quite new (finished 2013) and crosses one fjord (the fjord I live by) and a strait. According to old lore this strait gave name to the country of Norway (lit. the way north). The island itself is also interesting. People have lived here in about 10,000 years. Karmøy also has been an important place in the history of Norway.

The tunnel is 8.9km long and 139m under the sea at the deepest. A roundabout has been made at a cross where 3 arms of the road meet.

It is more than one beach here but they are rather small. It was low tide so we walked down to the sea weed covered rocks.

The wind is always blowing and last winter has been more windy than usually. Even the juniper is marked.

A little creek runs out here also.

Sandvesanden (Sandve Beach). The wind has made waves in the sand.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:40:07 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »
Not much is growing in the sand but the cliffs are more interesting.

The shell of a cuttlefish (Sepia) on the sand. They are quite common.

The shell of a crab (Hyas coarctatus).

Seaweed

From WW2. You can still find mines!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:00:39 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2015, 09:10:22 PM »
One of the earlier in flower is the common daisy (Bellis perennis). In fact, it is in flower almost all the year  - even in winter.

Although common, I do like the plant!

This is not rare either ;D It is several hundred species of dandelion in Norway. Most look very similar but they  all light up in spring.

Not in flower yet, Plantago lanceolata and Geranium sanguineum.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:15:43 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2015, 09:27:36 PM »
Lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria) is very common!

Sometimes you can find deviant forms Here one with sagittate leaf.

The primrose (Primula vulgaris) is a welcome spring flower among the cliffs.

Also ramsons (Allium ursinum) grow in between the cliffs!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:38:03 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »
Better not fall!

Lichen grows where it is not trampled on and where the sea don't wash it away.

A still small sea aster (Aster tripolium).

Thrift (Armeria maritima) soon in full flower!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 09:55:49 PM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
The scurvy-grass (Cochlearia sp) is nice when growing in meager substrate - could use it in the rock garden! It is not that refined in fatter soil.

Rose root (Rhodiola rosea) is very succulent!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:07:36 PM by Hoy »

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2015, 11:11:23 PM »
Trond, you could substitute the word Hebridean for Norway in your posts and no-one would question it. You're pictures might have been taken anywhere on the Western Isles. Landscapes, plants species, context. Amazing. I'm actually visiting family in southern England right now, but will set aside a day for hiking (and photographing) as soon as I am back home.

The roundabout in a tunnel is pretty unusual!
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2015, 12:00:56 AM »
Flying into Bergen from Copenhagen I could easily have been landing in Halifax, small rocky islands & shores with spruce though we lack those majestic mountains.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Robert

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »
Trond,

Absolutely fabulous!

I was fascinated by everything; the engineering of the tunnels under the fjords, the scenery, and the flora.  Many of the plants pictured are in gardens here in California. Maybe they are extremely common, but putting them in context with their native habitat is very interesting for me.

Junk from the past; relics from WWII in Norway; our relics from the 49er's in California. Both interesting and in some cases a hazard. We still have to be careful of mercury and hidden vent shafts from the gold mining. There are even mine shafts under the farm. One of the vent shafts rises on the property. It has caved-in, however it could still collapse at any time. There is a good story about a vent shaft giving way under a house on top of a place we call "white rock". All the locals thought it foolish to build a house up there. The owners still keep sending good money after bad, trying to keeping the place from sinking into the mountain.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »
Trond, you could substitute the word Hebridean for Norway in your posts and no-one would question it. You're pictures might have been taken anywhere on the Western Isles. Landscapes, plants species, context. Amazing. I'm actually visiting family in southern England right now, but will set aside a day for hiking (and photographing) as soon as I am back home.

The roundabout in a tunnel is pretty unusual!

Matt,

Yeah, my ancestors felt pretty much at home when they visited your waters ;)
Looking forward to see your pics!

Roundabouts in tunnels - it's another one when we go to our mountain cabin (maybe I could call it a shieling?) where the road to Bergen takes off. There you enter a tunnel and the junction is inside the mountain. If you are going to Bergen you drive straight from the tunnel and out on the bridge across the Hardangerfjorden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZjlYN13seaI

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal