We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Notes from Norway  (Read 38589 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Notes from Norway
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2015, 07:30:51 AM »
The road is rather narrow some places. In summer (starting now in fact) it is full of tourists. We are getting nearer to Hardangerbrua (the Hardanger bridge) which replaced the ferry a few years ago.

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Hoy

« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »
The entrance to the bridge is a tunnel. It is a turnabout inside and if I drive right ahead I end up on the bridge (which is on the left side when you drive) and eventually Bergen. I have to turn left which is bewildering as I end up going straight ahead along the fjord ;D

Hoy

« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2015, 08:16:13 AM »
We are far inland, more than 150 km from the sea, although we still have salt water to our left side. The climate here is warmer than at the coast and the trees are green although a bit later than last year. But now we are starting to climb from the sea level up to 1200m in a few km - through more tunnels. Till now we have been through about 10 longer and still have about 5 left, one going like a corkscrew inside the mountain.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2015, 08:19:52 AM »
Your photos bring back many happy memories Trond.
Last summer we arrived in Hardanger unaware :-[ of its fruit growing reputation so were amazed to find orchards everywhere, some tightly squeezed between mountain and fjord.  The cherries were the best I've ever tasted, maybe to do with the climate.   Along the way my daughter was sitting on rocks by the fjord, only to meet a young otter at very close quarters (1-2 m) heedlessly going about its business.
Leaving that roundabout another highlight for us Irish tourists was to emerge suddenly from the mountain onto a dramatic suspension bridge high over the fjord.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Hoy

« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
My pleasure, Ashley!

Yes, Hardanger is renowned for its fruits. Also the apples, plums and pears are very good. It is a combination of sun, daylenght, warmth and soil.

You are welcome back any time ;)

Hoy

« Reply #95 on: May 16, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
Continuing upwards I wont bother you with the boring tunnels ;D This valley is called Måbødalen and was a headache for inexperienced car drivers some year ago. Now it is a piece of cake!

In a few minutes we have left the summer and are entering the winter.

Hoy

« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
People are still skiing up here. We are a little tempted but continue (and we bring no skis this time!).
In the post glacial warm period about 7-8000 years ago Hardangervidda (the Hardanger plateau, 8000 sq. km) was at least partly covered by pine forest. Not today but the birch, pine and spruce forests are climbing every year. After one hour we are going down into the valley to Haugastøl, a starting point if you want to explore the Hardangervidda.

In front: Halllingskarvet 1933m

Ustevatn
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:57:47 AM by Hoy »

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2015, 05:43:07 PM »
Trond,

What gorgeous countryside!

Of coarse, the fruit growing district is of much interest to me.

Thank you so much for sharing the photographs. In some ways, the countryside reminds me of parts of the North Cascades in Washington State, U.S.A.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:05 AM »
You are welcome Robert. I always enjoyyour postings ;)

Hoy

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2015, 06:48:53 AM »
After 5 1/2 hours drive we reached our cabin. It sits in a  slope facing south so all the snow had gone except a snowbank by the front door. Remnants from Easter when we had to dig out the door. But it has been below freezing almost every night this spring so it is still not much in bloom!

Snowbank by the door. In the summer we use to sit here and have breakfast in the morning sun!

An unwelcome inhabitant. The field vole (Microtus agrestis) has turned the "lawn" into a new plowed field. Seems it has eaten the roots of the grasses and other plants. They have been everywhere. Hope not all the flowering plants are destroyed!

Another guest, not so dangerous, European elk (Alces alces). Also hares had paid us visits during the winter.

A disappointment! The mogop (Pulsatilla vernalis) was out of flower. They seem to have started very early this year and the flowers look frosted. Strange, they should take much frost.

This is what I wanted to see!

Hoy

« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »
Fortunately some plants had survived the attack!

Anemone nemorosa has started blooming.

A Luzula, possibly Luzula campestris.

Noccaea caerulescens

Hepatica nobilis/Anemone hepatica!

Coming soon: Polemonium caeruleum

Hoy

« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2015, 09:40:23 AM »
More - not very exciting at the moment ;)

Potentilla crantzii, one of the showiest spring flowers here in a couple of weeks!

Gentianella purpurea - a stately plamnt un July.

Viola rupestris struggle to open the flowers in the cold weather.

Calluna vulgaris. The colour is nice even without flowers.

A foreign one. Remnants from Easter decorations another year.

Hoy

« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2015, 09:51:16 AM »
Saturday it snowed so we went for a walk. Not easy with all the old snow in the leeward hillsides.

Nice May weather!

Fortunately the snow carried our weight most places.

Lichens look the same summer and winter!

New shoots on Lycopodium annotinum.

Peltigera lichen - lights up in wet weather.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:35 AM »
Trond,

Our weather has turned wintery in the Sierra with a good amount of snow for this time of year. More on this soon.

If I understand correctly the plants shown are all native? - except the Narcissus.

I appreciate that you show plants that might be considered "common". Personally, I enjoy growing Potentilla species and had never considered growing P. crantzii. There are many species to choose from, even native species here in California. This species is not common at all in our area as an ornamental. I will keep an eye out for seed on the various seed lists.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:28 AM »
Trond,

Our weather has turned wintery in the Sierra with a good amount of snow for this time of year. More on this soon.

If I understand correctly the plants shown are all native? - except the Narcissus.

I appreciate that you show plants that might be considered "common". Personally, I enjoy growing Potentilla species and had never considered growing P. crantzii. There are many species to choose from, even native species here in California. This species is not common at all in our area as an ornamental. I will keep an eye out for seed on the various seed lists.

Robert,

Hopefully the snow will fill up your water reservoirs a bit when it melts!

All the plants are native (except the narcissus). But some I have helped a bit like the gentian. It still has a wide distribution but  has been used extensively as a medicine plant. I have reintroduced it at our cabin. The same with the Pulsatilla. When my father-in-law was a young man it was abundant in this area, now it is extinct here but still common elsewhere. The Anemone and the Hepatica grow naturally at a lower altitude not far away but these also I have given a helping hand up to our cabin.

If you want seed of P. crantzii I can easily collect some.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal