We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Notes from Norway  (Read 38704 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: Notes from Norway
« Reply #270 on: August 04, 2015, 07:21:33 PM »
Haukelifjell - main road between Oslo and Haugesund (and also to Bergen and Stavanger) crosses this plateau.

Mixed spruce and birch forest. It is easy to see in this autumn picture.

Typical "forest" at the coast. Few trees grows here naturally. It is not the climate but the use of the land that keeps trees away. But after WW1 much have been planted. Sitka spruce is much used for that and it self seeds everywhere (picture).

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:29:16 PM by Hoy »
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2015, 05:38:30 AM »
Trond,

Several years ago my wife and I watched some Swedish movies. One was about a Norwegian farmer. All the scenery of the countryside showed the spruce/pine or spruce/birch type forest, much like your photographs. These images and my idea that Southwestern Norway might be like Southeastern Alaska gave me the perception that there would be much more forested land in Norway, especially the southern coast.

For me it is surprising to learn that the southern coast has very few trees. May it have been thickly forested in the long distant past? And I have to wonder why the use of Sitka Spruce? Yes, it does thrive in Southeastern Alaska, but are there not conifers native to the coastal areas? Would they be a better choice? If the forest are somewhat gone, may there have been many other species of plants at one time and they are gone now too?

Maybe too many questions, so please do not feel you have to answer any of them. It is all very very fascinating for me. I definitely appreciate you posting the photographs.

I wonder how many understand that a "thing" (not spoken as in English) was a sort of tribunal used the keep the ancient blood feuds from getting completely out of control? I do not think that I would like to have Eric the Red / Eric Blood Ax or his children as neighbors, although Leif seems like he might have been okay. I definitely would not want to mess with his sister!  :o   ;D
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2015, 07:46:04 AM »
Robert,

spør i vei!  ;)  Just ask and I will try to answer the best I can. Hope my English is understandable ;D

The spruce is in most places a rather new immigrant to Norway. It is 3 sources (at least), In north (Pasvik) it is a form sometimes considered another species coming from east. Most trees in southeast Norway (up to Trøndelag) come from east during the last 2000 years. It has not reached the western ends of the eastern valleys yet, and not the west coat where it grows fast when planted. The 3. source was maybe a refugium in the North sea during the glaciation. Some of the north-westernmost trees in S Norway has a different genetic fingerprint than the majority.

The natural forests along the coast are pine and hardwood. But the western coast has been inhabited since the glaciation ended and forests never developed in many populated areas. It is trees of course, and some pine forests but the land was intensely used as pastures. To keep the pastures productive they were burnt regularly.

Once Sweden was a big power and they wanted to be independent in all ways - so Mr Carl Nilsson Linnæus (Carl von Linné) wanted to grow all the Worlds cultivated plants in Swedish soil. He believed he could train them to grow in all conditions. So his students went abroad and sent all kind of plants home to Sweden.

Have to stop, will continue ;)

Hoy

« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
This idea also spread to Norway where a society was established (I think it was the one named Selskabet for Norges Vel). Anyway a large scale tree planting started mid 19th century. Timber was big business in Norway and they aimed to increase the productivity. A lot of foreign species (mostly conifers) were tried and eventually planted. Now it is a lot of forests consisting of foreign species, especially at the west coast. Today many are black listed!

Robert

« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2015, 03:42:31 PM »
Trond,

In one of the Swedish movies, they filmed from the border of Sweden - Norway to somewhere near the west coast of Norway (it was not stated). Near the border it appeared as if all the conifers had been planted in rows (like what we see in the U.S.A. in certain areas). In other areas it appeared that the conifers had grown naturally. The scenery was not the subject of the film, however the trees looked very much like Spruce.

I had thought of Southwestern Norway as being like Southeastern Alaska. From your information it is clear that, although the climatic conditions are somewhat similar, there are climatic differences too. Southeastern Alaska basically does not have hardwood trees. There are Bigleaf Maple (Acer macrophyllum), and maybe a few others, however Sitka Spruce and other conifers are dominant. The ocean currents must keep Southern Norway much warmer to support some hardwoods such as Oak, Linden, etc.

This is all extremely interesting to me. Thank you for answering my questions.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2015, 07:03:59 AM »
Robert,

when they cut down the forest they are obliged to plant. A certain amount of the profit has to be used especially for replanting. Those plants are usually in rows unless it is more favorable to put the plants otherwise.

You know, Norway (150,000 sq miles incl the islands) is almost as big as California (158,000 sq miles) but probably cover more climatic differences.

Yes, Norway is warmer than expected from the latitude but that doesn't mean it is hot here!

Hoy

« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2015, 07:14:48 AM »
Now to the sea level - Kragerø archipelago in Telemark, 58.9N (a little north of Juneau, Alaska!).

Most islands here are solid rock polished by the glacier some time ago ;D

Typical pine forest on Oterøy (where I have my summerhouse).

Some islands, particularly Jomfruland is mostly sand. Beneath the layer of sand is a layer of blue clay. The island is a terminal moraine. This little wood is black alder (Alder glutinosa) but the forest of the island is a mixture of many species.

The island Stråholmen is a mixture of sand and rock.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:28:26 AM by Hoy »

Hoy

« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2015, 07:43:42 AM »
Sea of sea lavender (Limonium humile).

Sea kale (Crambe maritima). Bleached it tastes not bad.

With a moist summer and enough food (rotting seaweeds) this beggarticks (Bidens tripartita) has grown huge. Normally they are smaller out here.

Hoy

« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:00 AM »
Rocky shores and cold water!

Sea rocket

It looks like this:

Sea holly (Eryngium maritimum) is a rare and endangered plant here.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:02:20 AM by Maggi Young »

Hoy

« Reply #279 on: August 10, 2015, 08:42:33 AM »
Sea mayweed (Tripleurospermum maritimum) is all along the shore. It starts early but this year it is still in flower now due to the moist summer.

Thornapple (Datura stramonium) has naturalized along the sandy shores.

Compact rush (Juncus conglomeratus) and milk parsley (Peucedanum palustre).

Bullrush (Typha latifolia) has found a home in a very small pond. The pond is a pothole.

Purple loosestrife (Lythrum salicaria).

Hoy

« Reply #280 on: August 10, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
The bedrock is shaped by ice and running water which have created potholes and other structures. The lichen is Xanthoria sp.

A grazed meadow. Yarrow (Achillea millefolium), brown knapweed (Centaurea jacea) and burnet-saxifrage (Pimpinella saxifraga) are left.

Robert

« Reply #281 on: August 10, 2015, 03:14:01 PM »
Trond,

The coast seems a beautiful and open land for the most part. The polished rocks with the lichen are beautiful.

Thank you for the names and locations. I does help me map things out so I get an idea of what is where.

It appears that I am out of service for a while. Far too ill the get out, except to work (not very fun  :P ), at least I can enjoy your outings and other postings on the forum.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #282 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »
Very sorry to hear you're unwell Robert.  I hope you recover soon.

Interesting photos and notes Trond.  Does Mertensia maritima grow along these coasts, or is it localised as in northern Iceland?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Hoy

« Reply #283 on: August 10, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
Robert,

Hope you recover soon!

I'll bring a few more pictures soon :)

Hoy

« Reply #284 on: August 10, 2015, 05:57:56 PM »
Ashley,

Martensia maritima is very rare around here. I have seen it once on the mainland not far from Stråholmen. It is a species with a more northerly distribution. It is more common in the north of Norway and even at Svalbard where I did see it in 2013.

Mertensia maritima, Svalbard:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal