We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8371 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: February 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »
Lesley,

From what Luit has said yours is right and mine is wrong.  Yours is definitely not the same thing as mine...... which has a pendulous cluster of red flowers in the axil, nothing upright.  I do rather like yours, particularly that lovely flower colour.  Unfortunately mine is so tiny I can't even offer to exchange with you, but if there is anything else that I have posted about that you're interested in I'd be very interested in a piece of your lovely podophyllum if possible?

David,

Strong colour to that Achillea isn't it!  Nice Geranium too!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »
Paul, yours sounds like one I have called P Pleianthum.  It has large (almost big plate size) glossy green leaves and red flowers in clusters underneath the leaves.  I have one flowering size plant of this, I never thought to take a photo of it though so can't post one, and collected seed off it last year that germinated well.  There are some lovely ones around, I'm happy to swap some Hexandrum for something when they are dormant.
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
Folks,

Since I'm logged on and all...

This is a plant I got got from the perpetually generous Lesley Cox 2 years ago (I think).  The first year it grew fine and then went dormant.  This year it also grew fine and went dormant.  Then, a week or so ago, I nearly tripped over the flower stalks coming out of the leafless pot in my 'winter dry' area.  Gladiolus carneus (not to be confused with G. carmineus which I also have and like) has found itself a place in my collection from now on.

Thanks, once again, Lesley.

Andrew.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 12:01:55 PM »
Andrew,

Aren't the hysteranthous glads just great.  Sudden flowers out of nowhere, so unlike the normal glads with their leaves for so long before the flowers.  It's a great flower too, although I always feel it is a bit oversize for the size of stem.  ::)  Worse things to complain about though!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2008, 02:29:50 AM »
Yes, Paul, I've often thought that Gladdies are hysterical - especially if you get caught with one on the noggin at a "Dame Edna" event!
Andrew, are you sure it isn't G.carmineus?
A few more "autumn flowers" while we're still officially at the height of summer!
The belladonna lilies (Amaryllis belladonna) are common in Aussie gardens even where we get winter temperatures dropping below 0oC and these dark pink ones are common in this area, so please suffer through a few of them! I just wish you could appreciate the scent!
44812-0

44814-1

44816-2

44818-3
The last one shows that these open with a white throat that deepens as they age.

Lycoris incarnata has started in one part of the Rock Garden but not the usual larger clump; still 2 spikes are better than none!
44820-4

44822-5

Finally, another shot of Acis autumnalis, but this little clump comes from the generosity of Otto; I saw it last year in his garden and noticed that it came from Portugal! had to have it , of course!
44824-6

a bit hard to photograph in the morning light, but a lovely little thing!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2008, 10:20:54 AM »
Amaryllis belladonna is just the most stunning colour! 8) Particularly grey day here, so most welcome.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2008, 06:37:36 AM »
I posted the first pics of this Crossyne flava in the South African Bulbs thread, but here it is on the third day with more flowers open,
45828-0

and look at the pollen, I wonder if it'll cross with the Amaryllis?
45830-1

And the first Colchicum I've found in our garden, not sure which one it is! I'll fossick around for a label later.
45832-2

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 06:11:23 AM by fermides »
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 07:08:27 AM »
The first Colchicum is apparently "Princess Astrid"
47425-0

And another one is C. cilicium
47427-1

The Crossyne is in full bloom and is a little less understated!
47429-2

The dead foliage nearby is the Crossyne's.
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:10:01 AM by fermides »
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Fermi,

Oh I DO like that dark pink bella.  Better form than the one dark pink type that I have.  Looks like yours has lots more flowers too, so probably some Brunsvigia parentage in there somewhere. Might have to see if I can trade for a bulb or two of that at some point, as it is definitely different to any I have as far as I can see.

Colchicums have started here as well..... bivonae, 'The Giant', aggripinum, pale form of cilicicum are out so far, but more are pushing through now.  Rhodophiala flowers are afoot as well, plus the belladonnas.  First Biarum species is out (B. dispar), Sterngergias, Cyclamen, last of the Eucomis etc.  Non-bulbous include..... Salvias, Dahlias (tuberous I realise), Roses etc.

I like that form of Acis autumnale.  The flowers look much thinner, which I assume is their standard form rather than weather conditions?  I have the "normal" type in flower here, plus A. roseum.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 10:43:01 PM »
Some flowerings.....

The first for the year was Colchicum bivonae, although as mentioned in my previous posting there are more out now.

The Biarum dispar has a rather odd smell.  Not exactly like something has died, but more like something has blocked up your sewerage system and the smell is getting out!!  ;D  It's an odd pongy fruity smell.  Not particularly pleasant, but not that distressing either.

I look forward to the Rhodophiala bifida every year, and will be moreso in the future as more types of the genus come to flwoering size from seed.  Some fantastic plants that flower from very very little care or attention.

And lastly for now is Haemanthus coccineus which has put it's first flower up for the summer.  Since this one first appeared there are a few different bulbs sending up buds, although still in the early stages.  I will probably try to get out and tickle the flowers a bit and set some seed if anyone is interested.

More pics later most likely, but heading off for the morning now.  Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2008, 06:10:47 AM »
Hi Paul,
that Rhodophiala is very hippie like isn't it! keep me in mind when it starts having pups!

Do you find the Haemanthus can tolerate a bit of frost?

The deep pink Belladonna seems to be a "local" selction and appears in a few gardens (ours came from a neighbour a few doors down); there is a lot of conjecture about the parentage of these hybrids with one line of thinking that it isn't actually Brunsvigia but Cybistetes that has been introduced into the breeding.

Here is a better pic of Colchicum "Princess Astrid" but I'm not sure if I have the right name as it's supposed to be quite a dark form.
47950-0
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2008, 06:20:32 AM »
Fermi,

I have plenty of the Rhodophiala bifida, so I'll include some in the package if you'd like that I am sending off to you hopefully on Monday with the other bits and pieces.

Haemanthus coccineus is full frost hardy here and can be grown outside with impunity.  H. albiflos on the other hand toasts with frosts, although it can recover after frosts are gone if it isn't too badly damaged.  Other species I haven't experimented with as yet.  With the amount of coccineus seedlings I have coming along I will be up to my eyeballs in them before too long.  ;D

I would have thought from your picture that your Colchicum WAS dark, at least as Colchicums go.  My Princess Astrid isn't up yet so I can't send a comparison photo.  I assume that PA has bivonae parentage, as the flower looks very similar (although darker) to the bivonae.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2008, 06:27:11 AM »
A few more pics.....

Two different Amaryllis belladonnas that I have out at the moment..... the dark one has up to 25 or so flowers per stem, arranged in a full circle.  Good strong colour to it.  The other one (ex Mary, a neighbour of mine) starts out white with the pink tips and ages pinker.

The Epacris longiflorus is a small native Aussie shrub.  No home should be without them as htey flower for long periods of time.  Only problem with them is that they can get a little lanky at times, but Otto tells me that there is a form in production now that stays much more thick and compact.

And lastly a Crinum..... not sure what species it is so if anyone wants to ID it that'd be great.  Was given to me by a friend as a  moorei, but I think I read somewhere that that species has a bifurcated style which would mean mine can't be.  Nice form to this with good pink to it.  Whatever it is I like it!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal