We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: February 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8373 times)

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
February 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:15:50 PM »
I thought that I might start the thread this month!  I went out and took photos this morning, after finally preserving most of the fruit that desperately needed doing thank goodness.  I'd already missed some of the Merendera Montana and just caught Veratrum Nigrum as it was flowering.  Also the first few Cyc Hederifolium.  So here goes,
Lesley

From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
February 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:18:34 PM »
Howdy All,

Time to start a Feb thread I think.  Lots of stuff in flower here at the moment.... here's a few.

The Beaugainvillea is still flowering for me, and will remain so until around June.  Excellent productivity, that is for sure!!

The Linaria vulgaris spreads by underground runners, but never seems to be a problem as it is quite light and airy so other things can grow through it.  Flowers for a long period, and brightens things up beautifully.

One of a few different ones I have... Liriope 'Royal Purple' is such a good strong purple.

And lastly for this post.... Urginea maritima flowers every year for me, despite the fact that it is not supposed to like as cold as we get it here.  It grows out permanently in an old wheelbarrow, receiving -8'C most years (although this year didn't get down as cold as usual).  I wish the Eremurus would do as well for me over long periods as this one has done.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: February 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:32 PM »
I have a few different varieties in flower at the moment, but this Salvia 'Hotlips' is always interesting as it's flowers vary so much.  Not sure if this plant is introduced from elsewhere, or has been bred in Australia?  As you can see from the main plant photo there are different colours throughout the plant.  Technically it is supposed to be the white with the red lip, but it can get pure white or pure red flowers well (I've posted pics of each of the flowers to show you.    It does seem to be affected by the temperatures as the plant tends towards white in summer heat, red in the winter, and the proper split colour in spring and autumn.  With the weather being so up and down recently we have a good random smattering of the various colours throughout the plant now though. 
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:27:00 PM »
Lesley,

Looks like we were posting these at the same time.  Maybe the powers that be will combine the two of them together into one.

The Veratrum look fantastic!!  Must go and check my Merendera and see whether they're starting up here yet.  I don't recall them being this early, but with the strange weather this year you just never know!!  Great pics!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:28:31 PM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
The Linaria vulgaris spreads by underground runners, but never seems to be a problem as it is quite light and airy so other things can grow through it.  Flowers for a long period, and brightens things up beautifully.

Not in my sandy soil, I needed many years to get it away.
It is a wild plant here near the dunes where it not only propagates by runners but also is seeding around.

Nice to see a close-up of the Bougainvillea.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 11:59:58 PM »
Luit,

I can understand it could be a problem in the right situation.  The area of my garden it is in definitely isn't sandy, but there is a bank not far from there which has a lot of sand in it to improve drainage..... I will make sure I keep it out of there.  Thanks for the warning.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 01:10:22 AM »
I wish I could get Linaria vulgaris to establish in my garden! I wouldn't care if it ran around as I can't imagine it ever being a nuisance. I love seeing it by the roadside around the Cotswolds and Devon and Cornwall, but I just can't get it to stay in the garden despite various attempts with plants from seed (bought, of course - not nicked from the wild).
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 04:31:22 AM »
Looks like great minds think alike! :) 

It has been a weird year for bulbs though, I don't remember the Merendera's flowering this early either.  I got a shock when I went up through the bulb rockery and saw that it was flowering, three flowers were already finished!  We also have the first few Colchicums flowering, completely confused poor things.
North West Tasmania

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 04:53:46 AM »
Usually around the beginning of March here for the first of the Colchicums, although this year you just never know.  I guess I'd better get to repoting them sometime soon!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
And because of your Merendera comments I actually DID start repotting some today.  Only a small start, but at least some of them are done.  Alas Colchicum autumnale album has gone to the great garden in the sky... unless I happen to have a second pot of it amongst the rest of the Colchicums in the area.  I don't think so though! <sigh>  Neglect is a terrible thing, but at least I can partically blame it on ill health!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 09:58:32 PM »
Paul, I have a nice bit of Col Autumnale Album so if you ever want a replacement . . . .

I actually grow all mine in the ground, admittedly I have to watch my sister when they are dormant as she is prone to planting something on top of them!  But they have survived and done fairly well.  The smaller Colchicums/Merendera's didn't survive as well until I put them in the bulb rockery.
North West Tasmania

Rob

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 09:58:24 PM »
Monty Don's Around the world in 80 gardens was in Australia and New Zealand tonight

It is more of a travel program, but does feature gardens and plants and should be available on the bbc iplayer for 7 days

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008x3nl.shtml?q=80+gardens&start=1&scope=iplayersearch&go=Find+Programmes&version_pid=b008x3mh

Sorry for the long link, I couldn't remember how to sorten them
Midlands, United Kingdom

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:06 AM »
If they had cut all the shots of Monty Don gazing wistfully into space we may even have seen some of the gardens. I thought it was an awful programme.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 08:02:55 PM »
I have just received the January Gardens Illustrated and the programme was dealt with there.  When I went onto the site, I was told it is not available out of the UK, so we may never see it, unless it is available on video or DVD.  Then maybe it is not worth it anyway. 

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 10:34:50 PM »
Susan,

Believe it or not...Mary just now put on a video of this programme which a friend taped for her.

Goodbye, I'm off, hate Monty Don but like where he is visiting.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal