We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hellebores 2008  (Read 20866 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Hellebores 2008
« on: February 01, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
Here is a start to the hellebore season. First a few Aswood plants I have had for a year or so.

The first is a plant that I have been unable to get on camera the colour because it almost radiates. When I first saw this it had been selected for possible breeding - Ashwood do this each year with their best new seedlings- I had fallen in love and aske should it not make the final could I have it. The colour is red with a greenish centre overlaid with a grape like bloom.

The second is a large Neon followed by a double picotee. Then a black and H thibetanus after the slug damage

The last is the result of a cross I made 3 years ago with torquatus as the mom  with a good ashwood black as the pollen donor (that's what it says on the label). Hasn't opened properly yet but looks promising nice foliage too
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Hellebores 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:13:00 PM »
Beautiful collection Ian !
Stunning colours  :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »
Very nice.  Love that double picotee in particular.  Never seen anything quite like that before.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rob

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 10:51:20 PM »
Here is an anemone centered hellebore in the garden. Loads of plants are in bud so I hope we get some good weather next week

Midlands, United Kingdom

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 10:54:20 PM »
Oh dear, I fear for these hellebore flowers in the windy weather... good luck, Chaps!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 10:58:45 PM »
Rob,

Oh I do like that colour combination in the anemone centred.  Very nice!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:18:24 PM »
Unreal collection of Hellebores, wish we could get something like that in Tassie!
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Rob

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 11:25:17 PM »
Here is another, this time more double. I took the flower inside and used flash for the photo.
Midlands, United Kingdom

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
not much happening in the garden yet but this is H. vesicarius in flower in the greenhouse
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Rob

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »
Tony those are good photos of H. vesicarius

I'm posting a double red from the garden. When the sun shines through the petals it really glows.

Midlands, United Kingdom

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 06:19:27 PM »
Not much happening on the Hellebore front in freezing Aberdeen. These are the buds on H. eric smithii.... only about two or three inches long, surrounded by well-chewed leaves... When this does move forward into flower, the blooms numerous and are VERY long-lasting
 41888-0

This brave soul, not bothered by the minus 9 dgrees last night, is about three feet high... growing through little rhodos....  H. argutiflious or perhaps a hybrid.....
41890-1
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 06:41:34 PM »
Nice versicarius Tony mine is outside and is very very slow. It is a bit of a cheat really it is in a scree and I am placing a cloche over it in the summer to help give it a baking. I have some seed sown and if it germinates I will grow it inside.

Here is a seedling grown from wild seed of H purpurescens with its first flower just peering through the ground
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
Have you 'ace' Hellebore growers any tips please on growing from seed. For example, are they best from fresh seed; when is the best time of year to sow dried seed etc etc?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 08:36:18 PM »
I sow mine straight from the pod in early summer and it then germinates in the autumn. Any dried seed I have had I sow straight away and that germinates mostly in late winter early spring.Dried seed often skips a year before germinating
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 08:44:37 PM »
Lovely to see the double red.  Very, very nice!  Seen nothing like that here in Aus, although I'd imagine they'd exist.  My "to die for" hellebore is a duoble black.... seen them in pics on the Graham's Hellebores site, but never seen nor heard of them in Australia.  I love the single blacks and a double would just be the bees knees!

Wonderful to see vesicarius again.  I used to grow it here and it was just so unusual with it's leaves that to me look more like celery than hellebores, those nice flowers, and then those wonderful seed pods.  Mine unfortunately died out after about 4 years for no reason I am aware of.  Unfortunately the seeds never amounted to anything either.  Extremely disappointing to have lost it as it was so unusual.  I am mentioning this only because if you have it, try to create backups.  I find it very rare to lose any Hellebore plant here, so the fact it went means it is a bit tetchier (Yes, I know it is summer deciduous and likes it hotter and drier in summer), plus I am not sure they actually know how long lived it can be as it has been in cultivation for a relatively short time.

As to seed sowing...... I've done a bit of it but will leave answers to the experts.  Fresh seed is DEFINITELY better though, as the only seed I've ever had fail was commercially purchased dry seed from a UK firm.  Dried seed takes longer, while fresh seed will start the following autumn.  If no-one else is forthcoming I am happy to help with my experiences.  Dried seed
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal