We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New names for (old) snowdrops  (Read 2155 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
New names for (old) snowdrops
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:06:07 AM »
I thought it would be useful to try to construct a list of snowdrops that have been distributed under a provisional name or a descriptive title then subsequently given a name.  When this happens, it is not often well-documented.

To begin:

Galanthus 'Woodpeckers' was formerly distributed as Galanthus nivalis sandersii ex (Lallie) Cox.  It was then named by Margaret Owen ( http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=8483.msg234060#msg234060 ) and has now reached the slaes tables and lists.

I would be very grateful for contributions citing other examples.  Or send me a message if you don't want to raise your head above the parapet. 
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: New names for (old) snowdrops
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:21:22 AM »
I have thought of two others that were renamed after it was realised there was a clash:

Galanthus nivalis 'Charlotte Jean' which is a poculiform snowdrop with a split spathe distributed by Joe Sharman was sold as 'Charlotte' in its first year until it was realised there was a clash.  The original 'Charlotte' is a prolific nivalis which I don't think has any distinguishing features in its appearance.

Galanthus 'Cinderella' is a tiny snowdrop distributed by Ian Christie and originally named 'Tinkerbell' until it was known that there was a clash ( http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5090.msg139614#msg139614 ).  I had thought it was an ipoc type but it isn't in Paddy's picture from 2010.  Perhaps Ian can comment on this one? 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:49:53 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 06:31:11 AM »
Its Cinderella Alan not Cinderalla, thats how clashes start :-)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:53:57 AM »
Oops, more haste less speed, Gerard.  But if your picture shows Cinderella, what is Paddy showing here:  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5090.msg139580#msg139580 ?
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:39:44 AM »
Well thats pretty obvious not Cinderella!

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
I found another picture of 'Cinderella' on page 6 here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/shows/stirling/2011.pdf .  It looks quite similar to the one I found called (unofficially) 'Kato' http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12887.msg326651#msg326651 .
Almost in Scotland.

snowdropcollector

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 10:14:15 AM »
Cinderella is quite small Alan, in my eyes it is one that difference from all others because it has quite a small flower with a little
mark on the outers. I like this one a lot !!
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 07:26:16 PM »
Alan,
.   This a really useful thread. :)
. Perhaps Freda Cox can help?  ;D
Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 08:11:25 PM »
Alan  -  Some had what is now elwesii 'Rosemary Burnham' as elwesii 'Francisca Darts'  back in the 1990's.  It was only when the name was mentioned in print that we by a hair advised the powers that be that the discoverer was in fact Rosemary Burnham and not her fellow plantswoman Francisca.  Of course Rosemary was hesitant about the change before formal publication but relented when she was told the late Don Armstrong who saved this cultivar from a close brush with extinction wanted it named after her.

Francisca by the way was a most extraordinary figure in the BC horticultural world.  Her garden & collection at Darts Hill Garden Park in Surrey, has been preserved.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 09:00:26 AM »
This has reminded me John, that Graham Gough listed, and was going to sell (and may have sold a few) named as 'Swan Lake' which are in fact 'Don Armstrong'.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal