We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 52  (Read 3582 times)

Pierre Rolland

Bulb log 52
« on: January 01, 2007, 10:11:44 AM »
http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2006/281206/log.html

Although I am a new comer on this wonderful site, I have read all of the bulb log and Thursday is the day to happily discover the new bulb log. I am very impressed by Ian's knowledge, but for once I do not agree with one idea:

"The frost on the cyclamen leaves comes from water drawn from the leaves and frost does not show up on stones since no water can be drawn".
I think it is more a matter of thermal conductivity: leaves are thin and get frozen, and then water can crystallize. Crystallisation does not occur on stones since the stone is warmer due to the calories drawn from the soil.
If it was water drawn, the glass on the top of the glass house would not show any ice outside and dry leaves would not crystallisation as well.

Dry cold weather is surely the best way of drying to death cyclamen leaves and they should not be left unprotected if possible, but they will not be damaged if the cold has enough water to condensate on the leaves which still seems to the case here.

I wish everyone a happy new year from Paris area and I know that on Thursdays in 2007 I will have the bulb log to make it a happy day.

Pierre
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 04:36:56 PM by Maggi Young »

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Bulb log 52
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:39:27 AM »
A big welcome to the forum Pierre.

Thank you for correcting my hypothisis of the ice crystals on the cyclamen leaves.
I always like to try and work out why things are happening and may not always get it right first time that is why I love to get feed back that helps me to learn the true reason.
We are all learning every day that is why I find the plants so fascinating.

Thank you also for your kind words about the bulb log, here is to a very good 2007.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 10:38:59 PM »
Ian,

Congratulations and well done on completing five years of the Bulb Log.

Although I have only recently 'signed up' to the forum I have been visiting for the past few years and looked forward to each Wednesday's 'edition' and would be disappointed if it was not there on time. It has been a great source of instruction and information and has guided my bulb growing, indeed started it in many areas, over the past while. Without it I think I might not have been well informed or sure enough to try some of the more unusual bulbs.

So, many thanks for your constant work, your excellent photographs and your constant encouragement to others.

Glad to hear there will be a Year Six and I'm sure there will be a Year Seven. The Bulb Log is an important part of the website, has contributed to people's enjoyment over the years and I have no doubt forum members and visitors would like it to continue.

Many thanks. Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 10:36:25 AM »
May I also add my humble expression of gratitude to, and  infinite admiration for "he who is called the bulb despot" who helps us poor mortals to shed light on the previously unknown world of alpine bulbs !  ;D
Thanks Ian !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal