We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Northumberland (Hexham) AGS/SRGC show Saturday 28th March  (Read 10595 times)

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Northumberland (Hexham) AGS/SRGC show Saturday 28th March
« on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
This is just a reminder to all exhibitors (and potential exhibitors!) and visitors that the show will be taking place at the usual venue of the Wentworth Leisure Centre in Hexham on  SATURDAY 28th March.

Also of note are the new parking arrangements – the town centre cark park is now free! However you should note that certain parking bays, outlined in red on the ground and shown on the red shaded area on the accompanying aerial view, are limited to two hours use only. To use these parking spaces you need to purchase a parking disc (cost £1.00) from one of the machines in the car park and you are only allowed to park in a red space for two hours, although the parking disc can subsequently be used at other car parks in Northumberland. Note that the parking wardens are very efficient in policing the car park.

The rest of the car park, with spaces marked in white on the ground and shaded green on the picture below are free all day, with no time limit and no parking disc required. This does mean that the car park is now very busy all day

Exhibitors are reminded that if the are unloading their plants behind the show hall early in the morning, then they should move their car immediately after unloading, and before staging their plants, to a ‘proper’ space in the car park. We regularly have problems with the adjacent supermarket over access for their delivery lorries, especially in the morning, and as the access is over their property, we wish to ensure that we do not lose this valuable facility.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:03:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Darren

Re: Northumberland (Hexham) AGS/SRGC show 28th March
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »
The date is wrong on this Maggi - can you fix it please? the 29th is a sunday.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:04:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Northumberland (Hexham) AGS/SRGC show Saturday 28th March
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »
Thanks Darren - I have fixed the date to Saturday 28th March  - thankfully it is correct in the SRGC Show Schedules.
 Peter  seems to have been thinking ahead to the Sunday when he can relax a little!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »
Peter
Where else is there parking in Hexham.  I don't usually get there until about 1130 and usually have to cruise around looking for a space which can take time AND luck.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Darren

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »
Thanks Darren - I have fixed the date to Saturday 28th March  - thankfully it is correct in the SRGC Show Schedules.
 Peter  seems to have been thinking ahead to the Sunday when he can relax a little!

Thanks Maggi.

I'm quite conscious of the dates for this show as it apparently coincides with a Hexham farmers market for the first time in a few years and 'er indoors* is planning some food shopping.

* Actually it is 'er outdoors today as she is at the nursery. and it is chucking it down with rain.....
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

SusanS

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:18 AM »
Thanks Maggi.

I'm quite conscious of the dates for this show as it apparently coincides with a Hexham farmers market for the first time in a few years and 'er indoors* is planning some food shopping.

* Actually it is 'er outdoors today as she is at the nursery. and it is chucking it down with rain.....

Could the constant wearing of oilskins be the reason I have a cold?  :-X

Despite his Lordships comment, I am looking forward to the show .... if food stalls also happen to be around it would be rude not to visit them  ;)
Darren's t'other half

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:27 PM »
  NORTHUMBERLAND SHOW: HEXHAM   SRGC/AGS
Saturday 28th  March   
10am to 4.00 pm (show hall opens approx. 11:30)

SHOW SECRETARY: Peter Maguire  18 Princes Meadow, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE3 4AZ
Telephone 0191 284 0385    e-mail pandamaguire@btinternet.com
VENUE:Wentworth Leisure Centre, Hexham, Northumberland
ORGANISATION:
Exhibitors should note that AGS Show Notes and Regulations
apply this year, and SRGC next year. Accordingly a Farrer medal may be awarded this year.
Members of both AGS & SRGC are eligible for all prizes, medals and other awards. Points count
towards Seasonal Aggregates and Merit Medals according to membership.
Bulbous plants: under AGS rules, Note 27 applies this year

Please consult the 2015 Show Schedules for all dates and details :    http://files.srgc.net/show_info/SRGCShowSchedules2015.pdf

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »
Apologies for the incorrect date posted at the beginning of this thread (kindly corrected by Maggi).

My excuse was that it was posted in a bit of a rush before I went away for a couple of weeks - only got back on Tuesday and have been busy with show preparations since then. We have an impressive number of entries as usual. If they all turn up, we'll be struggling for space on the benches, but I think that every year and it has only ever happened once - and we managed to borrow an extra table for Stan's rhododendron.  ;)

Tom, sorry not to have replied earlier, but I'm not sure about other car parking spaces for late arrivals, not bring a Hexham resident myself. You could try Tesco's car park across the road, but don't tell them I said so. On a 'normal' Saturday, I can generally find space in the main car park. I'm not sure how much effect the show has on parking compared to a normal Saturday, I generally don't get out of the building during the show.

Off to print the entry labels now..........
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
From the SRGC/AGS show today at Hexham - pix  from Alan Gardner

Farrer Medal Winner- Trillium rivale from Cyril Lafong

winners of the large six pan class - Frank and Barbara Hoyle

winner  large 3 pan class  - Cyril Lafong

I reckon this shows us the calibre of entry!  Well done to all winners and exhibitors!!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 04:42:15 PM »
Plants and exhibits for us all to aspire to … in our wildest dreams!!!  Wonderful advert for our beloved hobby.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

jomowi

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
A wonderful show with a staggering number of hernia-inducing pots filled brim to brim with flower power.  Cyril has done the double and won the Farrer Medal with the same plant he won the Forrest Medal with at Kincardine last week!  It nearly got left behind, because Ian Christie was collecting him and his plants and there wasn't room for it until they took it out of its crate and wedged it between other plants.

The only thing to spoil my day was the butchery of the trees along the otherwise scenic rail journey from Carlisle to Hexham.  I know they have to keep them away from the track, but they had been flailed with the resulting eyesore. 
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
First a photo of Cyril with his Trillium being photographed  by Don Peace who won the RB  Cooke Plate for most first points in the Open section with many good plants many of them  bulbs. Then Derek Pickard's Dionysia that won the Sandhoe Trophy for  best plant in a 19cm pot.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 08:37:38 PM »
Tommy Anderson took the AGS medal for 6 small pots -sorry about the poor photo. Ian Kidman took the EG Watson trophy for class 100 for a plant new to cultivation with Viola beckwithii. A view of sections 2/3 where Bob Worsley won the Gordon Harrison cup for the Intermediate section while Janet Fielden  received the Cyril Barnes trophy for section 3. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:40:18 PM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »
The Northumberland Cup for a new exhibitor went to James Akers fritillaries. Returning  to Class 1 a view of that corner  of the hall which made a most impressive sight for visitors as they entered the show area. There were three sets of 6 large pans. The Hoyles also received a merit cert for one of several Dionysias. Second was another very good set from Mark Childerhouse who I think also received  a certificate  for a very good saxifrage.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:26:03 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 07:41:03 AM »
a tour of the benches

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal