We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Forum Top Ten???  (Read 3726 times)

Chris Johnson

Re: Forum Top Ten???
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 08:59:21 AM »
I would be interested to know:

1. Who is the audience for the eventual list and what do we expect they will do with the list? Do we anticipate it will influence them to do or not do something and if so what?

2. Do we have a definitive list of criteria for evaluation? I agree with Brian, why would we exclude snowdrops obtained less than a year previously? If aesthetics are a factor, they cannot be time limited.

3, How will snowdrops from other countries be handled, which almost by definition will be less common as they are more difficult to source?

I am not at all sure as to the value of the exercise.

I'm part of the audience (maybe all of it  :o). I probably triggered this thread with a challenging question on another thread: 'can forum members produce a list of 10 snowdrops (6 for the garden and 4 for pot culture), nothing rare, expensive or difficult to obtain'. The number was, of necessity, arbitrary.

To me 'garden worthy' is all about drift and effect. They need to be species that establish readily and multiply well. By definition, this rules out recently introduced species. I live in an area with very challenging weather conditions but it will be up to me to assess that aspect of their suitability. Pot culture is all about form, foliage to flower balance and flower detail that warrants close inspection.

The criteria need to be simple. I don't see any reason to expand on my earlier thoughts: 1. Not rare. 2. Not expensive. 3. Readily obtainable.
There's no need to put a constraint on how many items folk submit (although I don't see the point in submitting dozens).
I do see a dichotomy here as my original request was personal whereas this thread is more a 'Top of the Drops' chart.

If you follow my thinking, you may well find many more members growing Galanthus who are current bemused by the plethora of subspecies, forms, varieties, etc.

Chris

PS - Apologies if I've hijacked this thread but I see more merit in this direction.
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 09:46:05 AM »
John Richards talks about the snowdrops at Kew in the latest entry in his Northumberland AGS diary: http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Northumberland/+February+/650/

Interestingly, his following statement might add a geographical dimension (garden worthiness in the north vs. south) to this thread:

A footnote concerning Kew snowdrops. A wide variety is grown there, mostly very well, and most are well labelled (not all: what is the superb snowdrop grown in quantity around the Orangery? I could find no label). However, I was intrigued to find poor miffy specimens of two snowdrops which are amongst the very best here in the far north of England, 'Straffan' (originating in northern Ireland) and 'S. Arnott' (originating in south-west Scotland). This tended to confirm my theory that snowdrops which were selected in the north tend to thrive better in the north, and vice-versa. It appears that these northerners dislike Kew's hot dry climate.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »
For my choices I'll put forward:

'S.Arnott' for creating large drifts in the garden - this plant has great presence and makes a real impact in large numbers, and it grows well here with me.

'Hippolyta' for closer appreciation - this is a lovely neat double, with shorter stature it could be used in the garden, but you can get up close and linger longer with this beauty if it is under cover, I find she's also a robust grower.

Another choice for drifts in the garden (especially in the Hebrides) will be the 'bog-standard' G. nivalis - robust, good-doer, vigorous and impressive in large swathes (which would not be expensive to create). A neighbour has a huge number in her garden, and they are a great sight - perhaps the most extensive snowdrop patch in the Outer Hebrides?
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Chris Johnson

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 12:23:38 PM »
Hi Matt

A nice diary and a thoughtful comment on geographical planting. I will add S. Arnott to my list.

... 'bog-standard' G. nivalis -

Probably not a pun but it appealed to my distorted sense of humour.  ;D ;D

Chris
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
I would agree with Chris' criteria in the sense that they place garden value and worth to the fore. It is rather exciting and fascinating to see the immense diversity of snowdrops shown on the Forum (and actually I am pretty keen on growing some of these!) but very few contributors describe their experiences of growing the plants in more detail and that must be valuable to know. There probably is a dichotomy between that individual collecting instinct and all the friendships that arise from this at snowdrop events etc. and the idea of making a list like this. It may not have any value as an exercise but that can only be determined by the absence or presence of contributions. (I think John may have started this on the AGS site for the very reason that so few contribute their gardening experiences there - obviously a tremendous amount more goes on here but a newcomer looking in might find it a little esoteric :-\). Hope there will be more to come...
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 08:24:17 PM »
I will have a good think and come up with a list
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

MR GRUMPY

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I think Hagen should do the list.  :)...I'm very sure he has 100 jaw dropping plants to put on it. ;D.

Steve Thompson
Snowdrops are not just for Christmas.......

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 11:42:32 AM »
I have so short experience about any cultivars so I would be wiser after five years, but of the ones which I have had for more than two years, two stand out in the way that they have multiplied well in my garden and are also quite big.
'S.Arnott' and 'Viridapice'.
(I've had also 'Merlin' for four years but from the original one bulb I now have two, so I'm not very satisfied with it).
'Diggory' has only flowered once so far, but that would be one of my favourites, too, because of the flower and it seems to have doubled from last year.

Another of my favourites is this nameless G.plicatus which I had bought from Augis Bulbs in 2011, and it has also multiplied well and I like the look of it.
Picture is from last year, it is now coming up through snow.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 12:30:03 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
That's a rather good and different top ten for the connoisseur - not sure how many might be truly garden tried and tested but the nice thing is to have the personal information about growing them.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 04:10:49 PM »
That's a rather good and different top ten for the connoisseur - not sure how many might be truly garden tried and tested but the nice thing is to have the personal information about growing them.

I think most of them are well tested now in the garden, it includes my favourite 'Trimmer' and the vigorous 'Green Tear'
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tim Harberd

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 09:07:53 AM »
Well!
   I don’t think we’ll come up with any collatable data (a Top Ten) because we haven’t agreed any parameters.

No problem… I’m quite happy with the general chat. When I first got interested in snowdrops the only info. I had was growers catalogues, which are, quite understandably, written to sell what the vendor has available…..  One that was sold to me along the lines of  “a must have drop in any collection” has now been completely removed from the garden, having tried it in a number of places.

Anyway… I’d like to recommend Mrs Macnamara, which I grow in four places. She does well in all of them, more than doubling each year. I principally grow snowdrops as a cut flower, so the flower size (35mm petals) and height (27cms) is of value to me, as is the slight fragrance. She is an early flowerer (around Christmas). In fact it is this feature I bought her for, the other attributes, described above, were a surprise! (The grey leaf colour, mentioned in catalogues, is of no value to me, but I can confirm it.)

If anyone would like to swap a MrsM for a genuine Sam Arnott drop me a PM. I’ve bought it twice now, and neither cultivar matches the catalogue descriptions!!!!!

Tim DH

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 06:27:51 AM »
S Arnott, nivalis, Merlin , Wendy's gold, Galatea , walrus , blewbury tart, mrs MacNamara , Diggory , gracilis , Augustus , trumps , lady elphinstone , Hippolyta , Worronowii

Did 15
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
First few were easy, long been my favourites  :)

Peardrop
Washfield Colesbourne
Diggory
Mighty Atom
Blewbury Tart
Kildare
Curly
Ketton
Primrose Warburg
Lapwing

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 02:45:06 PM »
It actually wasn't very hard to make the list once I thought about it.  My favorites are the varieties that are both beautiful, for one reason or another, and easy to grow.  No particular order:

Lady Beatrix Stanley
Magnet
nivalis
Viridapice
Ophelia
Wendy's Gold
Primrose Warburg
woronowii
Potter's Prelude
Blewbury Tart

The original list also contained Ballerina, Godfrey Owen, Kite, Diggory, and Wasp, but I decided to stick with ten.  I have a really good form of Viridapice.  If mine looked like some of the photos I have seen, I probably wouldn't include it.  I also have a very good Ophelia compared to others I have seen.  And from what I have read who knows if it is Ophelia, but I would include a Greatorex double in my top ten and Ophelia is my best.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal