We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: eBay offers  (Read 18250 times)

ian mcdonald

Re: eBay offers
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2015, 06:40:11 PM »
Hello Maggi, no I wasn,t joking. Things are worth what some people are willing to pay for them. Another case are roses. Roses have been bred for hundreds of years and yet some people believe that "new" varieties are still being produced? What is wrong with the long established varieties which are still beautiful. The same also applies to clothes. We are told that this style is "in" this year and everyone should buy it. Six months later (or less) we are told it is out of date. Fashion is for the gullible.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
Golden Fleece £561 and 2 days to go!!! :o

Is this the highest price paid for a galanthus?

Not yet!  Thompson and Morgan paid £725 for an 'Elizabeth Harrison  in 2012.  And according to an article by Graham Rice, T & M still have only one bulb - but I don't think they mind - it was just a (good) publicity stunt.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 07:12:16 PM »
Ian  M.- Ladies ' fashion may be for the gullible  but it's also mostly for the thin!  :'(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 07:13:09 PM »
Thompson and Morgan must be doing something wrong if they only have one after all this time !
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
Galanthus are better than shares, market is bullish.
North of France

colineddie1

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »
I can understand why people pay very high prices for drops - I am only a beginner - 4 years and still very much awestruck by the oddeties that appear on places like Ebay because it is often the only place to get such amazing drops and to see what is out there - having been to a couple of sales this year I have to admit even though I have spent an absolute fortune and increased by collection by about 50 varieties I am still to find the 'In' drops and probably could not afford them anyway - why do sellers put them on Ebay but they never appear for sale either in their online sales or at their stands at shows.

It makes it very difficult to get the special ones if no one knows who has them or even how to go about getting them.

I was at Myddleton and was told about a green bumble, believe you and me I was one of the first at the stand and yet a dealer gabbed the 2 remaining plants, another was given by the owner of the stall to a favoured customer (which I have no problem with at all) but for us mere mortals can anyone advise on how we even stand a chance?
The proud owner of 4 cats that love to shovel bulbs around the garden for fun!!

ian mcdonald

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2015, 07:50:54 PM »
Maggi, you are right about ladies fashion being for the thin. Trouble is the shops buy for the average person. The average person is one in a hundred!

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2015, 08:10:15 PM »
Every thing worth growing filters down and becomes much easier to get hold of if your prepared to wait
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2015, 08:14:57 PM »
The answer Colin is to come along behind the fashion and pick up those distinctive snowdrops that will remain classics in the future (viz: what Yann says). So you know, who would be without 'Diggory', 'Wasp' and 'Lapwing', but these are all passé now, and relatively sensibly priced. Or ignore fashion, always a good thing, and buy what what you like! (Emma puts it more simply :))
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2015, 10:49:19 PM »
Interestingly I have acquired `Diggory`, `Wasp` and ` Lapwing` in the past 12 months!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Ant-k

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 03:47:07 AM »
£660 now!!
I think we might break the record!

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2015, 07:11:10 AM »
The answer Colin is to come along behind the fashion and pick up those distinctive snowdrops that will remain classics in the future (viz: what Yann says). So you know, who would be without 'Diggory', 'Wasp' and 'Lapwing', but these are all passé now, and relatively sensibly priced. Or ignore fashion, always a good thing, and buy what what you like! (Emma puts it more simply :))

I have also tried to look for the ones which seem to increase well, so that if the conditions here are not as ideal as in countries with less snow and cold, at least those might do well.
But I understand the charm of the new and different ones, lucky that I don't have so much money to spend. ::)
Leena from south of Finland

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2015, 07:12:32 AM »
Now £740!  :o
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2015, 08:04:05 AM »
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
I Was talking to a visitor yesterday about prices who didn't believe me when I said there was one bulb currently at £420 ish, when I showed them on my phone about 20 minutes after checking it was £500+

Said it would probably be double and they really didn't believe me....

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal