We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: eBay offers  (Read 18249 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: eBay offers
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »
... which would be very sad, in a way.  They've paid a king's ransom for it then they don't even get to see the flowers for 3 years or more.
Almost in Scotland.

Blonde Ingrid

• Journal Access Group
  • General gardener & Galanthophile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 12:33:09 PM »
Are they all mad?

Not necessarily, Emma is right!

My non-galanthophile other-half (economist) observed, in addition to the usual barmy galanthophiles of the Gollum type 'Its my precious and I wants it' there will be the 'producers'.

They will take the likely final price e.g. £800 add some allowance for failed bulbs, and divide the total by the likely number of bulbs resulting from twin scaling e.g. 10-15. That number will be compared to recent additions such as 'Castle Green Dragon' and 'Simply Glowing' at £100 each.

If the numbers pan out, its a good deal. They would need 4-5 to ensure barriers to others entering the market and that will drive a very similar end price on Ebay, as they set maximum bids for each one at the same level, based on their calculations.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »
... which would be very sad, in a way.  They've paid a king's ransom for it then they don't even get to see the flowers for 3 years or more.

But then they would have a nice little clump and have hopefully insured against the loss possible with one bulb.  Wish I had the room ... and the money ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »
Some of these bulbs are being offered by those with good reputations, which is grand - but my worries are over the people who might obtain one rare bulb and then, as if by magic, be offering that plant for sale - more than once! We know how long it takes to gets chips up to a good size so such things are rather "dodgy" to say the least.

Buyer beware indeed - and even a completely respectable seller risks their reputation  being damaged if caught up in such a scenario.   'Tis a potential minefield isn't it?  ???

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »
I've always been wary of setting up on ebay which has been discussed numerous times over the years, not sure for how long I will be able to keep arguing against it particularly when the press get hold of another story of snowdrop auction madness!

I do think it is sad in a way because ultimately it has little if anything to do with getting any enjoyment out of the plant.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2015, 03:47:54 PM »
I know of a number of people now who regardless of what they have paid chip the bulb the first year . I just can't bring myself to do it ....I like to see them flower !

But when the chips do all flower I guess it's more of an instant good sized clump than if you let them just do their own thing .
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »
I would like sometime to have a go at chipping Emma, just to see if I succede or make a right ***** up of it.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

RichardW

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
I know of a number of people now who regardless of what they have paid chip the bulb the first year . I just can't bring myself to do it ....I like to see them flower !

But when the chips do all flower I guess it's more of an instant good sized clump than if you let them just do their own thing .

Ditto, I only ever chip something once it has made a small clump and I feel it's safe to risk chopping up a bulb, some don't seem to respond well to the process. I can understand why it's done with expensive things but can't help thinking they would be safer in a pot!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2015, 04:42:45 PM »
wirralwave on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/wirralwave/m.html?item=111601154414&hash=item19fbf2796e&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562, just like Beth Chatto, is very generous. I ordered 2 Galanthus gracilis from him and received 5 flowering sized bulbs and 5 smaller non flowering bulbs

I ordered from Beth Chattos web site and got 5 bulbs instead of the three I ordered
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2015, 05:05:03 PM »
I would like sometime to have a go at chipping Emma, just to see if I succede or make a right ***** up of it.

If you've got a pot of "cheap" garden centre daffs around the place, John, you can give chipping a go with one of those in a wee while - when the leaves are starting to go back. Using a daff bulb to start with is a good idea because they are bigger than snowdrop bulbs and so you can see better what you are doing. You'll find in the forum about chipping, or in the Bulb Log, of course.

Maggi's "take" on chipping  for beginners   (experts will have more detailed more complicated instructions!) ......
Chop bulb longways into  approx. six or eight "chips" all with a piece of basal plate; put in  plastic bag or box with some just/ barely moist vermiculite; stick  in the airing cupboard and wait .....  check every now and then to make sure the vermiculite is not too wet and causing the chips to rot , or too dry and dessicating the chips. In about  six to eight weeks you should see  little bulbils growing on the chip.  Then you have the choice to keep waiting to see if the baby bulbils get bigger or you can pot them up. Best to keep them in somewhat protected environment at first  but  basically  that's it   ;) :D   Worth a try for sure and fun when it works.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2015, 05:19:43 PM »
I will be giving lessons in Shaftesbury at some point over  the summer
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

RichardW

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 05:46:27 PM »
I am also happy to give a demo in the summer if anyone wants to call in.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 05:53:07 PM »
I'm sure I saw something on tv about this not long since, they make it so easy. Cheers Maggi.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:54:42 PM by johnstephen29 »
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

scatigaz

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 06:06:24 PM »
I certainly agree about value for money with Beth Chatto. I sent for 50 James Backhouse for £45 and received around 80 healthy flowering bulbs.
gary lee

Ant-k

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »
Golden Fleece £561 and 2 days to go!!! :o

Is this the highest price paid for a galanthus?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal