We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: G. 'Galatea'  (Read 2093 times)

apothecary

G. 'Galatea'
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:33:08 PM »
I vaguely remember this one living up to my amateurish ideas of what 'Galatea' should resemble last year.  Haven't checked yet this year and I daren't, amongst so many experts, show myself up by being overly confident on any of them.  Isn't the flower a little too small and pointed though?
Kristina. Llandeilo, south-west Wales, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: G. 'Galatea'
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 07:28:21 PM »
Looks okay to me, Kristina. The only thing you're likely to confuse it with is the equally long-pedicelled 'Magnet', but that has a much more narrowly arrow-head shaped mark compared to Galatea's wider-splayed mark.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

apothecary

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 03:52:30 PM »
So, that was the 'Galatea' that came from Springwoods (originally from Primrose Warburg).  Here's the one I found in the DWG and from a different source originally, clearly different.
Kristina. Llandeilo, south-west Wales, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:43:08 PM »
Hi Kristina. No, the pedicel obviously isn't at all dangly and the mark doesn't look right either. Another of the S. Arnott / Brenda Troyle type, a nivalis X plicatus hybrid. Can't put a definite name to it.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal