We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: G. elwesii 'Comet'  (Read 2367 times)

apothecary

G. elwesii 'Comet'
« on: January 31, 2008, 11:44:10 AM »
A few pics of one of our specimens of 'Comet'.  Afraid I don't have an outdoor clump pic of this one.
Kristina. Llandeilo, south-west Wales, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: G. elwesii 'Comet'
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »
You don't ask for an ID on 'Comet' so I assume you know it's okay (which it is). Looks like you got a very nice selection from South Hayes.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

apothecary

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »
You don't ask for an ID on 'Comet' so I assume you know it's okay (which it is).

I remember thinking it was ok last year, although again, I haven't checked carefully yet this year because of time restrictions.  Just got to get them all recorded before they run away with me.  And I have so much else that needs doing too.  If you only saw the state of some beds in the Apothecaries'.  But what can you do when you're as short-staffed as we are?

Looks like you got a very nice selection from South Hayes.

So have I uploaded anything particularly sought after yet?  I thought most of these were pretty common varieties and that we had a long way to go before we'd have a really special collection.
Kristina. Llandeilo, south-west Wales, UK

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
You've got some very nice snowdrops there, Kristina, and the basis of an excellent collection. I'd say some of them are special; certainly not things you'd find in the average garden. Comet's a superb snowdrop, and so is Mrs McNamara. The most sought-after and rarest aren't always the best garden plants, in fact often quite the opposite. What you want to start with is exactly what you have from South Hayes, a solid collection of good reliable garden snowdrops that will (mostly) increase steadily and make a good show.

It'd be interesting at some point to see a complete list of what you have. The very rarest and most sought after snowdrops from South Hayes were deliberately shared out amongst experienced growers who would be sure to keep them going and spread them around. But I'll bet what you have would be considered a very desirable collection by many on this forum.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal