We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Recommendations  (Read 6212 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Recommendations
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »
On Monday evening, via the Internet, I placed an order with the Essentials Company for some of the range of black plastic pot labels; on the same evening I place an order with The Garden Superstore for a couple of hundred 9cm square plastic pots. Both had been delivered by 1000 this morning.

As far as square plastic pots are concerned I could have bought an inferior quality cheaper, mine are Teku brand are rigid plastic. I could also have have bought Teku pots cheaper but only in trade quantities.

In case anyone else is interested I can recommend both firms and Links are below.

http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Heavyweight_Square_Plant_Pots.html

http://www.theessentialscompany.co.uk/Black_Labels.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 09:28:20 PM »
I use the essentials company for 5" black labels. They are so much better looking than white ones. The white or silver paint lasts a long time too
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:37:08 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm, as Jack Sparrow said, "in the market".  Need both.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Ezeiza

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:45 PM »
Hi David:

Many thanks for this link. Most interesting. In your experience how long these black plastic labels last for?

Liquid Paper remains one of the most durable materials in existence.

Guys, do you know of a source in Britain for vynil lables, the type used in the States? They are very long lasting as well.

Regards
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:15:24 AM »
I've been using black labels in the garden since 2002 and they are OK except when my UK size 10/ Euro 44 lands on one

Ezeiza

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »
Hi Mark:
             Thanks for the input.

Regards

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:38:07 PM »
Hi David:

Many thanks for this link. Most interesting. In your experience how long these black plastic labels last for?

Liquid Paper remains one of the most durable materials in existence.

Guys, do you know of a source in Britain for vynil lables, the type used in the States? They are very long lasting as well.

Regards

Hi Albero, the black plastic labels do seem to outlast the white ones, and of course using a paint style marker they remain perfectly readable for much longer. I can't help with vinyl labels although Ian Young makes his own plastic ones from re-cycled Venetian blinds.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Ezeiza

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 06:10:18 PM »
Hi David:

Many thanks, window blinds are great.

These vynil labels I mentioned seem to be available from a single source in the States now and they come in a variety of colors. We use orange for our summer growers and green for the winter ones.

We run out of them for some time. But, we have many imported in 1990 and they are still in one piece. Our summers are like Namaqualand and there were times in which they got soft and limp from the heat, yet they did not become brittle!  Strangely those of the same material, same size but red in color did not even last for 4 months (????!!!)

Regards

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
I bought MacPenny labels when I first visited England, in 1979, and
scratched names into the black side. I hung them in fruit trees and
rhododendrons, so they have been somewhat shaded, and they have
rarely suffered more than 30 C.

They are still flexible, and easily legible, though the black has faded
to a pale gray.

The aluminum labels I bought in the U.S. are durable, but oxidize
so that the name disappears.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 11:34:15 PM »
My order of large label pins arrived today along with a white marker to label my collection for the hoards that will descend in 2 weeks. There will probably be nothing to see by them. The wind has ruined everything that was out. Only those in bud or in the green house still OK. My garden is fully exposed to the wind

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
Thanks for this link David, I ordered on Monday evening and it arrived whilst I was at Glen Chantry...and I didn't realise they are only a few miles down the road ::)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 06:34:54 PM »
Thanks for this link David, I ordered on Monday evening and it arrived whilst I was at Glen Chantry...and I didn't realise they are only a few miles down the road ::)

Glad to have helped Brian.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 03:48:13 AM »
They might be "just down the road" for you Brian, but for me it is quite a long way, in fact, about as far away as you could get.  I ordered black labels and white pens on the 1st February, imagine my surprise when they turned up at my door on the 8th February.(Actually I was away but the neighbours told me they were there on Friday). What tremendous service.   They are so good and I am indebted to David for mentioning them, although I realise they are on the "Links" page. 

I am now hoping that my alpine garden will start to look a little less as though I have tombstones there. I will be interested to see how long they last in our ultra violet light as it can be very hard on dark plastic pots. 

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »
Dont buy their stainless steel label holders aka butcher pins

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »
They don't look very stainless to me?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal