We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus viridiflorus  (Read 22931 times)

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
Re: Narcissus viridiflorus
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2015, 09:39:27 AM »
Great wasn't it, did you see any places you knew?
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
Yes, I knew all of it and been to many parts of it many times.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
At least they haven't lost track of their routes in that part of the world, so to speak.  ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2015, 11:44:07 AM »
Tour de Yorkshire was great -  (again seen on TV , like David) - and now the Giro d'Italia has started - FAB!!

One of the things I like best about watching these fantastic cycle raves on TV is is the chance to see the helicopter shots of places  we recognise  as the home of great plants!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 07:47:12 AM »
Good man, now to more important things did you see any of the tour de Yorkshire last weekend?

Saw the second and third day. I have some shots from the second day. Very enjoyable, everybody, including security seemed to have fun.
Corrado & Rina

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 07:50:06 AM »
Here's my pot flowering 23/5/14.

Two quick questions:

1) Do you keep them quite wet before flowering and flowering time? What is the watering regime?
2) Do you keep them under glass in full sun, dapple shade or ....?

Thank you!

Best,

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2015, 08:39:38 AM »
The pots are kept outside in full sun and get wet when it rains. During the summer I let the pots of narcissi dry out and get baked. This year I tipped the big pot out to check sizes and how many I had, and then (paper) bagged them and stored them dry in the garage until the end of March. I start watering at the beginning of April (October in the northern hemisphere). The compost is very gritty, so doesn't get waterlogged, but the grow very long and bulk up well, so do need watering. I cage them at bulb fly time. The secret to flowering appears to be a hot summer.

johnstephen29

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Hi Anthony I checked my pot today and a couple of shoot have appeared, they must still be on New Zealand time  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 02:00:41 PM by johnstephen29 »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:51 AM »
To get them on to northern hemisphere time you need to grow them. They were dormant and will wake in April/May as they don't know they've crossed the equator, so you'll get them flowering this month. The Kiwis store imported daff bulbs and sell them now, six months after they should be sold, expecting them to do well. They don't. Curious how the florists are full of cut daffs and tulips now! ::)

johnstephen29

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 02:03:59 PM »
I thought you couldn't bring any plants into New Zealand unless it was seed, or do commercial growers have a license to do so?

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »
To get them on to northern hemisphere time you need to grow them. They were dormant and will wake in April/May as they don't know they've crossed the equator, so you'll get them flowering this month. The Kiwis store imported daff bulbs and sell them now, six months after they should be sold, expecting them to do well. They don't. Curious how the florists are full of cut daffs and tulips now! ::)
I've been told recently that a lot of those flowers here (Australia) are now being imported as bulbs from Brazil! Seems a bit strange to me as they should be in sync with us ??? But perhaps they've been stored to flower now to be sent to the Northerm Hemisphere?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 05:55:55 AM »
I thought you couldn't bring any plants into New Zealand unless it was seed, or do commercial growers have a license to do so?
You can bring bulbs into New Zealand from certified sources, if you have the money to do all the work involved. Alas, us amateurs have to rely on seed.

johnstephen29

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »
Hi Anthony thanks for clearing that up, it seems a waste though after going to all that trouble they are not been planted at the proper time and they are failing to grow properly.

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 05:58:51 PM »
The pots are kept outside in full sun and get wet when it rains. During the summer I let the pots of narcissi dry out and get baked. This year I tipped the big pot out to check sizes and how many I had, and then (paper) bagged them and stored them dry in the garage until the end of March. I start watering at the beginning of April (October in the northern hemisphere). The compost is very gritty, so doesn't get waterlogged, but the grow very long and bulk up well, so do need watering. I cage them at bulb fly time. The secret to flowering appears to be a hot summer.

My bulbs keep throwing out new shoots but the existing shoot in the previous photograph is actually yellowing rather than opening .... picture here:

487434-0

What do you think Anthony?

Best

Corrado

Corrado & Rina

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2015, 04:40:25 AM »
Where are they being kept? In the UK they need to be grown in the greenhouse, but May should not be too cool. Your first pic indicated a flower bud two or three days before opening, so unless something has gone wrong, they should have opened. Has the pot dried out at all? Had they sprouted before you planted them? This is my pot today. We have had torrential rain this week and temperatures ranging from 21ºC down to about 13ºC. These are the same bulbs I sent you and were stored in the garage in a paper bag until I planted them in April. The garage temps get quite high in summer.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 06:15:07 AM by Anthony Darby »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal