We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus romieuxii  (Read 1830 times)

Menai

Narcissus romieuxii
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:21:40 PM »
I have been growing this since 2009 from Archibald seed [0.705.100] and now have a nice potful of leaves but no flower. What am I doing wrong? I have repotted the bulbs every other year and the pot is plunged in my bulb frame but moved into my frost free greenhouse in December.

Erle
Anglesey where we have had the first proper frost of he winter.
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Narcissus romieuxii
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:36:14 PM »
The bulbs need to be dried out in the summer. Could try feeding with high potash fertiliser too. Does this help?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

WNOETULIP

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:49 AM »
I agree with Anne, dry in the summer and in addition I think they need to be baked in the summer. For forty years I had a 20ft x 10ft wooden greenhouse and to be honest very few flowers each year. In 2013 a willow tree fell on it and demolished it and I replaced it with two 10.5ft x 8ft aluminium ones. One containing my narcissus, plus a few frits and colchicums was in operation by late summer 2013 and last year I had many more flowers. This year virtually everything has flower spikes already and I put this down solely to the much higher temperatures I get in the new greenhouse during the summer.
'Treble Chance' (see below)is currently in flower and other pots of Jim Archibald's selections will be out soon.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 05:53:18 AM by WNOETULIP »

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:29 PM »
I find that N.romieuxii needs less of a baking than say N.cantabricus. A dry rest is more important as no Narcissus bulb likes to be too hot (with a risk of rot if there's any moisture present). I might be inclined to repot annually, or at the least feed more. Whilst they might grow in some tough places in the wild, bulbs are gross feeders and will benefit from a high potash feed as Anne suggests (avoid anything with a lot of nitrogen).
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Menai

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 08:48:58 PM »
Thanks for these suggestions everyone. I will try everything and keep the pot in the greenhouse over the summer rather than in the bulb frame which is never going to get very warm up here.
Let you know what happens next year.

Erle
Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

WNOETULIP

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
If you look at the link

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Azrou-weather-averages/MA.aspx

which shows the temperature graphs for Azrou where Narcissus romieuxii was first named I am sure that the temperature in your greenhouse (if ventilated) won't be a problem. I certainly don't match that here on a North facing slope in West Yorkshire, see my temperature distribution in 2014 below.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
 I think it's worth seeing WNOETULIP's  glasshouse temperature chart  without having to open the pdf .....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:27:26 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal