We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron 2015  (Read 38146 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Rhododendron 2015
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »
On a visit to Logan gardens on the 8th, I was somewhat surprised to see a Rh. flowering at this time of year -Rhododendron Kyawii also complete with attractive leaves.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Roma

« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2015, 10:37:14 PM »
Rhododendron forrestii repens flowering now.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
The very, very dwarf form of R. pseudochrysanthum at Anitra's garden yesterday.  Circa 8 years old from a 2" pot!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Garden Prince

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »
I had a pot of Rhododendron pseudochrysanthum seedlings (normal form) that I sowed this spring but unfortunately all the seedlings were eaten by some creature. I suspected a slug or snail was responsible for this but I didn't see a slug trail which is usually present when these slimy creatures have been around. Could mice have eaten my R. pseudochrysanthum seedlings? Another peculiar thing: only the pseudochrysanthum seedlings were eaten, the other pots with  Rhododendron seedlings that were right next to it were untouched.

Fortunately still got some nice seedlings sown from American Rhododendron Society seed.
In the picture seedlings from:

-- (bureavii x yakushimanum) x kesangiae
-- yakushimanum (Exbury) x pachysanthum

johnw

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2015, 01:23:46 PM »
GP

Luck of the draw I guess with the pseudo seedlings.  Haven't noticed any susceptibility to insect damage gere aside from weevil damage.  I do find it a cranky species top get going from seed, and the dwarf one particularly so.

I have a few plants of (bur. x yak) x kesangiae that I did years ago and they are still small plants but yours looks very good.

john

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »
From Facebook - a post by Richard Baines, Curator of Logan Botanic Garden,  about the flower buds froming on a Rhodo grown from seed from North Vietnam (source  )

First flower buds on CW &T 6442  (Clark, Wilson and Taggart)   - unsure of species as yet - hopes it is a yellow maddenia.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
Dear all,

Leaves turning yellow and brown .... is this normal?

R. campylogynum

R.fastigiatum

507966-1
Corrado & Rina

johnw

« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2015, 12:48:44 PM »
The yellowing leaves at this time of year is perfectly normal.  Some of those leaves are last year's.  However some are this year's - the latter older ones along the current year's stem but not not terminal ones - indicating insufficient sunlight.

Your campylogynum and fastigiatum should be extremely compact, more sun will help cure this once planted in the ground.

I trust there are holes in the bottom of that white bucket.

johnw - +4c & sunny 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 01:07:41 PM by johnw »

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2015, 08:13:35 PM »
Hi John!

So they need more sunlight? I thought they needed less hence I move them in a darker place .... They are actually very very compact .... particularly the fastigiatum. I am not going to move them to the ground, I will grow them in containers, because our soil is quite chalky.

PS: Of course the bucket has holes .... :)
Corrado & Rina

johnw

« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2015, 09:10:39 PM »
The fastigiatum is the one to the left in another white bucket? Whereas the centre one looks like a Saluenensia species.

Here's fastigiatum in the garden planted about 1974. Pic over-exposed I'm afraid but note the indicative bluish foliage.

john

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2015, 09:54:30 PM »
The one I bought as R.fastigiatum is the one in the centre of the second picture.

Best,
Corrado & Rina

Tomasz Cyba

« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2015, 11:17:25 AM »
After its first winter in cold Polish soil my Rh. sinofalconeri C&H 7183 put up over 30 cm of growth this year. It seems it likes it here, and it's here to stay.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
Very satisfying for you to see that growth, Tomasz. I hope it continues to grow well for you - I'll be waiting with you for its first flowers in a few years time.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2015, 12:32:25 PM »
Roma, good to see your R. forrestii in flower. Mine died, probably too dry. I have now replaced with R. carmen, a hybrid with forrestii, to see if it is more hardy here.

johnw

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »
Tomasz

That's great news on Rh. sinofalconeri C&H 7183. Everyone has been recommending it as one to try in cold places like here.  What was the lowest temperature it endured?

The other one is the dwarf alpine macabeanum which I haven't tried yet.  Here's a cross of brachycarpum Tigetstedtii x macabeanum by Ron Rabideau which looks so much like macabeanum itself.  That's George Woodard, head gardener at the Phipp's Estate standing by it, he has done the same cross and it is his only hybrid the New York Botanic Garden has agreed to grow, it is spectacular.

johnw - we need a few good light frosts to prepare things for the inevitable plunge.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 02:02:55 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal