We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus 2008  (Read 12817 times)

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
Re: Haemanthus 2008
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »
Thanks Maggi and David !

I'm really surpised that such young plants flowers - there is hope !!!
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »
Hans, congratulations for those Haemanthus.
Last year I was very happy when mine bloomed, but this year it happened one thing very strange: one of the bulbs was about to start growing the flowers, but in some days it aborted.
I think the bulb it's ok, but i don't have any idea about what could have happened.
Did it happened to you also?
The other two bulbs did not shown yet signs of flowers.
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »
Cris ,

Haemanthus are like some other Amaryllidaceae often a bit crazy .....
One of my big Haem. coccineus has not flowered in this year - I suppose he need all his power because he build a big second bulb .
In any case you have to wait with watering until the buds are big enough -otherwise they will stop and abort the flower
You have to stop with watering for the whole time when this bulbs are dormant -I take it in my greenhouse under the tables ....( please think there are also summer -and winter growing species )

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »
In any case you have to wait with watering until the buds are big enough -otherwise they will stop and abort the flower
You have to stop with watering for the whole time when this bulbs are dormant

There must be maybe a situation like you said. Sometimes I gave them a bit of water. I was afraid to warm (dry) the roots without any water ::)
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:58 PM »
It might be of interest for Haemanthus lovers what I showed today
in the Weekly Flowershow in Lisse NL.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 03:48:53 PM »
Luit ,

do you take photos ?

thank you in advance
Hans

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
Luit ,
do you take photos ?
Hans
Hans, is it possible that I don't understand your question?
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:21 PM »
Luit ,

sorry for my bad english ....

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 07:34:05 PM »
Hans,my Friend, I think you have misunderstood Luit, and he you!   .... he has made many photos here, from Sept. 23rd .... in these pages .....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1315.msg56441#msg56441     8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2008, 07:40:37 PM »
Yes Maggi - it was a real missunderstanding !!!
I have supposed that Luit give a suggestion for all Haemanthus lovers go to Lisse to see the Haemathus flowers ...so I ask to him with make pics .....
Now I have realized that he has postet so many nice pics ....

Thank you for clearing and the link !

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2008, 10:40:45 PM »
Hans,my Friend, I think you have misunderstood Luit, and he you!   .... he has made many photos here, from Sept. 23rd .... in these pages .....http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1315.msg56441#msg56441     8)

Well Maggi, in the meantime we have corresponded by PM in German.
Just finished an answer to Hans and found your help right now. Thanks a lot for that!  :-*
I was so arrogant to think that all Forumists were looking to my reports, which is
seemingly not the case... ??? ;D ;D

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »

I was so arrogant to think that all Forumists were looking to my reports, which is
seemingly not the case... ??? ;D ;D

Luit

Not arrogant - forumists who want to see wonderful plants and good info would not miss your postings :) 8) :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »
Luit,

A lot of people view these forums via email, so they often don't see new topics that are started unless they come up and view it on the main site.  Periodically someone posts to a topic that has been going for a long time, saying something along the lines of "I've only just found this topic".... sometimes there can be 10 pages of the topic, some of which is months old.  I'd imagine there are a lot of people that NEVER see a topic that may be of interest to them, because they just rely on the email notification for existing topics instead.  They must miss so much.

Then there are others of us who don't catch up on everything immediately, but usually eventually get to it.  Sometimes it takes a while.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 02:36:51 PM »
Paul,

My email notification ALWAYS includes new topics. I view them and decide which (almost all) I want to follow.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:11 PM »
Luit,

A lot of people view these forums via email, so they often don't see new topics that are started unless they come up and view it on the main site.  Periodically someone posts to a topic that has been going for a long time, saying something along the lines of "I've only just found this topic".... sometimes there can be 10 pages of the topic, some of which is months old.  I'd imagine there are a lot of people that NEVER see a topic that may be of interest to them, because they just rely on the email notification for existing topics instead.  They must miss so much.

Then there are others of us who don't catch up on everything immediately, but usually eventually get to it.  Sometimes it takes a while.  ::)

I never use the email notification. I tried it when I came into this Forum in ± 2003, but it didn't work.
I missed to much or I had loads of emails to delete.
I just look at replies to my posts and then at unread post since last visit, when time allows.
Lately I did spend more time with posting than reading new items.
But all will agree that it is hardly possible to read everything.
But I noticed that , when using "unread post since last visit" it is possible that I missed more than once some very interesting new threads.
But often after some time somebody is posting in such a thread and I find it later.
When I saw this thread in the list I thought it was an old thread of this summer, but then
suddenly I saw that is was new.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal