We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: White pearls-Leucojum  (Read 2836 times)

Matic Sever

White pearls-Leucojum
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
In these days I enjoy in flood of Leucojum vernum  :) I found few very interesting plants.
Matic Sever
Ljubjana-Slovenia, zone 7

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: White pearls-Leucojum
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:53:19 AM »
Matic,

Great pics.  Sorry it's taken so long to respond but I'm only just catching up with this section after a couple of weeks away from the SRGC.  Slowly (very slowly) catching up.

I've never actually grown Leucojum vernum, although I do have seed down.  I find it interesting to see that in the wild (I'm assuming that you pics are in the wild?) they grow indidually scattered around, rather than in clumps.  Is this normal for L. vernum, that it doesn't make large clumps but rather is just a bulb or two where each seedling appears?

Thanks for the pics. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
Matic do you take unusual forms home for cultivation?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:47:14 AM »
Nice forms Matic, I hope you are able to save them for posterity. My experience is that if one does not they will eventually disappear.

Paul.
They do not grow wild in Sweden but they seed themselves in my forest since seventy years or more so I assume mine behave as if they were wild.
Usually they grow scattered like in the picture but if they like the situation they will clump up. After a decade or two they have exhausted that spot and dwindle but in the meantime they have seeded themselves all around.
Göte.   
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
Gote,

Interesting.  It definitely makes "saving" the unusual wild forms of the species that much more valuable, as they're likely to eventually disappear otherwise (unless of course the seedlings express those unusual genes).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »
Absolutely Paul
Unfortunately mine are very uniform. The only differing one I have I bought from Ruksans.
This picture was taken yesterday.
This colony is 100% self sown. As you see there are all ages.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal