We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis pinnatifida  (Read 4389 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Eranthis pinnatifida
« on: January 29, 2008, 05:12:53 AM »
Howdy All,

As it is around Eranthis season I thought I would ask people to please keep me in mind if you have spare seed of the white species Eranthis pinnatifida.  I would love to trade or buy some fresh seed (obviously trading is a little easier as I don't have to try to sort out international currency) as it is on my "holy grail" list, right up there near or at the top. 

Thanks in hope and anticipation.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Eranthis pinnatifida
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 12:34:02 PM »
Howdy All,

Just bringing this up as a reminder in the probably vein hope that someone will have spare seed?  Not sure if it's too late for seed now?  :(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:17:41 PM »
I can send you something more exciting provided they set seed. I'll try and remember!
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:45:52 PM »
Now there's a tease if I've ever seen one!!  :o ::)

;D

Thanks in anticipation, but I'm still wanting a white Eranthis one of these years from somewhere, and I cannot source bulbs in Aus so seed is the way to go.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 09:16:14 AM »
Howdy All,

Still trying to get this...... not sure exactly when seed is mature in the northern hemisphere, but quite possibly already too late?  Would still love to get the white Eranthis..... and of course the pink one I seem to recall us discussing last year sometime.  ;D ;D ;D

Hey, it can't hurt to ask now, can it?  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

ArneM

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »
Paul, I do not grow both ones but I think it is not already too late as E. hyemalis for example slowly starts to ripen. ;)

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »
Eranthis pinnatifida . . . is on my "holy grail" list

You are in for a disappointment!

I once grew it (for some values of "grow") but lost it to a sudden freeze after a grossly unseasonably warm January.

This February I saw it in flower at Fraser's Thimble Farms and after peering a long time at it, decided not to buy any. The flower is NOT a white version of Eranthis hyemalis; it is much smaller, to the point that the Farrerian word "squinny" applies. It's not a particularly good white, either.

In saying this, I am expressing an attitude I've slowly come around to: that mere rarity or difficulty does not make a good garden plant. A good garden plant must LOOK good to be worthy of our lusts.

Don't say you weren't warned!
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »
Rodger,

But I like little flowers.  ;D  I do thank you for the warning though, so that I am prepared for it being so much smaller than the usual Eranthis.  I'm still interested in it though, but very much appreciate the "heads up". :)

Arne,

Thanks for the confirmation that it is still not yet seed time for the Eranthis.... I thought I may have missed it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal