We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 64865 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #735 on: December 16, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »

In this area I found Polystichum imbricans ssp. imbricans. I observed this species last winter in this area and mistakenly identified it as P. minutum. The two species are similar, however quite distinct when one looks closely. The pinna of P. imbricans are indeed very imbricated! There are other differences in the two species that are best observed through a hand lens, such as the shape of the scales. The location of scales on the stipe is also distinct.

My 1960 edition of Jepson's Manual lists Polystichum imbricans as a subspecies of P. minutum so they are closely related.

I found one small population of Polystichum imbricans in a shady, forested location. More were seen on this open northwestern facing cliff.

I found a few near the cliff base, however more grew higher on the rocks above. I was not prepared to climb this cliff, especially in wet weather.

I wanted to see if I could find other fern species near the Rubicon River so I needed to move on quickly (short days!).

The forest on the opposite side of the Rubicon River was a mixture of evergreen oaks, mostly Quercus chrysolepis, conifers, and Madrone, Arbutus menziesii. The abundant red fruit on the Madrone trees provided much color. It was a very beautiful sight.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #736 on: December 16, 2015, 05:03:09 PM »

I had stopped at this location overlooking the Rubicon River last winter. At that time I did not have time to explore this area. I have explored the opposite bank of the river in this area and was keen to return and check on this side of the river.

I found a game trail and started to work my way down to the river. The going was slow as the terrain was very steep, wet, and slippery.

I did make it to the bank of the Rubicon River, however it was getting late and I needed to return to the truck before darkness arrived. It was good to see the river up a bit from its low point this autumn, but I was disappointed that there was not time to explore this section of the river.

At this site I had success finding some fern species: Woodwardia fimbriata, Pentagramma triangularis, Polypodium calirhiza, and Pellaea mucronata. I have good reason to think that I could find other fern species in this area, so I hope that I can return later this coming spring. The opposite bank of the river is a treasure trove of beautiful species, another good reason to return in the spring.

I did find these bones, most likely a deer that became a meal for a mountain lion.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 05:25:33 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #737 on: December 16, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »

By the time I arrived back at the farm freezing temperatures had arrived. We heat with wood.

The top of the wood stove was a good spot to heat the cones of Knobcone Pine and extract the seeds. Only one of the four cones had mature seed, so there was not much of a harvest.

Anyway, it was a very pleasant day to be out and enjoy another outing.

Until next time.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #738 on: December 16, 2015, 09:44:47 PM »
Robert,

those cones seem a bit dry and though for dinner ;D   - It is the way I prepare chicken legs ;)

The Madrona looks good! I have planted one Arbutus unedo in the garden (A. menziesii is difficult to obtain here). It has flowered twice but it don't fruit so I have no hope of getting trees like the ones you show.

I have roe deer visiting my garden and destroying trees and shrub like you show! They also eat a lot of the winter green foliage of several plant and shrub species :(

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #739 on: December 17, 2015, 01:34:23 AM »
Trond,

I agree the pine cones are a bit dry. The pitch sticks and cements itself to the teeth. Hard to talk after a good meal!  ;D

I have a hunch that Arbutus menziesii would grow well in your garden. If that box ever arrives your troubles will be over.  ;)   :)

The deer were quite the pests at the farm this past summer. Generally the deer fencing keeps them out. They must have been desperate for something to eat this year. They kept testing the fence until they found a weak point to get in. I repeatedly improved the fence and they continued to test the fence until they found a new weak point. It was not until autumn that they finally stayed out of the garden.  :'(

I had a good outing today. I think that they are always good - it was very cold - finally! I will be reporting on all of this soon.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:37:35 AM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #740 on: December 17, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
Maybe the seeds are edible? In Northern Norway the seed of Pinus cembra was traded with the Russians (Pomors) and called Russenøtter - Russian nuts.

I am eagerly looking for the box every day!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #741 on: December 18, 2015, 09:59:48 AM »
That picture of the pine cones reminds me of visiting Architectural Plants in the UK years ago. They had a batch of cycad seed sown in trays and put on top of a warm boiler used for heating the glasshouse (not quite so warm as a wood burning stove!!). Clever. I also had a plant of Lyonothamnus floribundus asplenifolius from them which I was assured would be hardy - it's now about 25 feet high overlooking our neighbour's garden! Fortunately no deer here but rabbits who have somehow got through the fence and a small dog (Jack Russell) who tries his best to get over it and explore outside the garden!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

« Reply #742 on: December 18, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Maybe the seeds are edible? In Northern Norway the seed of Pinus cembra was traded with the Russians (Pomors) and called Russenøtter - Russian nuts.

I am eagerly looking for the box every day!

Trond,

I have eaten the seeds of Pinus sabiniana, our California Gray Pine. This species grows naturally here on the farm. The pine nuts are large, but a bit difficult to extract. If I wait until the cones open the squirrels eat most of them. They have a good favor!  :)

Maybe the box will arrive as a Christmas gift?  :)  This would certainly be pleasant.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #743 on: December 18, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »
Tim,

I forgot to ask, did you lose your list when the computer gave-up? Easy to get another.  :)

When I post the next set of photographs the wood stove will seem quite comfortable. Something to look forward to after coming home from a cold day out in the woods. It can get quite chilly even here in our part of California. The things that one can endure when doing field botany.  ;D
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #744 on: December 18, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
Forebay Road to South Fork of the American River

Wednesday, 16 December 2015

Weather: Clear
Temperature, High: 50 F (10 C), Low: 26 F (-3 C)

On Wednesday I decided to check on the South Fork of the American River above Slab Creek Reservoir. I had not been down into the canyon in this area for a long time. Forebay Road starts at Pollock Pines, 3,956 feet (1,206 meters). There was still snow on the ground from the storms a few days earlier. The upper portion of Forebay Road is plowed, however there was plenty of snow and ice still on the road surface. I am glad that the road crews had plenty of sand on the road!

Today it was seemed best to do a general reconnaissance of the area, so drove the whole distance down into the canyon and to the river. I did make a few stops on the way to investigate the flora.

The photograph looks over the canyon to Poho Ridge, a great place to see interesting plants. Unfortunately, the 2014 King Fire burned much of the Poho Ridge area. Despite the fire I am very interested in investigating the flora to see how it may have recovered.

I made a stop at 2,760 feet (841 meters). Pictured is Heuchera micrantha.

The upper road bank had a good variety of different forms of this species. Nature has created some beautiful forms. The leaves varied from pure green thru shades of reddish purple. Many plants had beautifully mottled foliage.

It did not take long to arrive at the South Fork of the American River, elevation 1,858 feet (566 meters). I parked about 50 feet (15 meters) above the river and hiked around investigating the plants.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 06:43:39 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #745 on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:07 PM »

It was a very cold day! This is not snow but hoarfrost that was covering everything. I do have a good mercury thermometer, however it is designed for weather observations and could be easily broken on my outings. I rarely bring it. Today I wish that I had. I was very curious as to the temperature. Maybe I can find a durable, yet accurate, thermometer at REI for all of my outings.

The freezing temperatures had created amazing designs on the frozen earth and in the pools of water.

The upper end of Slab Creek Reservoir was very close to where the bridge crosses the river. When I have more time, I would enjoy exploring the rock outcroppings on the south facing bank of the reservoir. There are no trails in this area and it looked very interesting.

Maybe I have been spoiled by the warm winter temperatures the last four years. It sure seemed cold!  :-\

In this area, the north facing canyon slopes are covered with a dense coniferous forest.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #746 on: December 18, 2015, 07:20:33 PM »

I discovered a north facing cliff face that was covered with a large variety of plant species. From the plants I found, I have a good idea that the cliff drips with water all year. The dripping water had created icicles all over the cliff.

Most of the plants were completely frozen such as these, Adiantum alenticum.

There were many species of fern on this rock face. Pictured is Fragile Fern, Cystopteris fragilis growing with Polystichum californicum. Some of the other fern species in this location were: Polystichum imbricans ssp. imbricans, Polypodium calirhiza, Woodwardia fimbriata, and Dryopteris arguta (7 species total!). Mimulus sp. (gutattus or cardinalis?), Aralia californica, Heuchera micrantha, and Sedum spathulifolium were some of the other plant species at this site.

It was getting late in the day, so I decided to return to the farm before the upper stretches of the road became re-frozen with black ice.

I did stop on the way back to photograph this Dogwood, Cornus nuttallii with its last remaining autumn leave color.

It was good to get back to the farm and warm myself next to the wood stove!  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:22:59 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #747 on: December 18, 2015, 10:32:28 PM »
You live in a very beautiful region Robert! It is nice to have so much to explore close to home. Are you prepared for wildlife encounters in some way?
Few of the species you are showing can be found in British Columbia and can be cultivated in Ontario but with great risks. I would like to have more evergreen ferns here, they are such a joy especially in the winter time.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Robert

« Reply #748 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:59 AM »
You live in a very beautiful region Robert! It is nice to have so much to explore close to home. Are you prepared for wildlife encounters in some way?
Few of the species you are showing can be found in British Columbia and can be cultivated in Ontario but with great risks. I would like to have more evergreen ferns here, they are such a joy especially in the winter time.

Gabriela,

I agree, this part of California is very beautiful.  :)

In the 40 + years I have been hiking in the valleys, hills, and mountains of California I have had some very interesting encounters with various forms of wildlife. Some have been rather comical, but nothing too dangerous, except when a buck charged me and I was lucky enough to grab its antlers. There are still plenty of rattlesnakes, mountain lions, black bears, coyotes, and bobcats. We now have wolves again after a long absence. I feel comfortable with all the wild creatures and enjoy seeing them when they decide to show themselves. Over the 40 + years I have almost always hiked by myself. It is very peaceful and I am very comfortable hiking and camping out in solitude.

I have always lived in this part of California and enjoy gardening here. The summers are long and hot (38 - 40+ C), the winters cool and moist (except for the last 4 years of drought and the record high temperatures, especially during the winter). There is a large selection of plants that can be grown here, gardening is fun here.  I like it :)

Thank you so much for your comments! :) Do not discount all of our California native plants. The high elevation species and those from the east side of the Sierra Nevada are quite hardy, although many enjoy dry summers and may not like humid summers.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #749 on: December 19, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »
Just a few photographs from yesterday - 18 December 2015

Jenkinson Reservoir the source of our drinking and irrigation water. Still dangerously low!  :'(

The Crystal Range covered with snow peaking above the tree line in the distance.

I did poke around to see what I might find plant wise. Most of the plants are dormant now. Woody trees and shrubs are about all one can see. There was just enough snow to hide the low growing ground huggers and sprouting annuals. Yes, even with the cold weather our native annuals are up and growing (very, very slowly).

Bonetti Road, a frequent destination for me. The elevation is about 4,100 feet (1,250 meters). The roads in this area are not plowed or sanded during the winter. It is very easy to get stuck even with such a tiny amount of snow.

Many years ago a telephone company truck was stuck back in on this road. I am not sure what he was doing back there as there are not any telephone lines in this area for miles! His truck lost traction on a patch of ice and the truck was slowly edging its way off the road into a ravine as he tried to free the truck from the ice. I am sure that he was relieved that I showed up and pulled him out with a cable.

Anybody can get stuck in the snow, ice, and / or mud this time of year on the back roads. Even with a 4 x 4! I have done it. It helps to always have a cable and chain to get out of such situations. This time of year I always use caution. Generally I walk as I like to hike around.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal