We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California  (Read 64795 times)

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
Re: 2015 - Robert's adventures in the Northern Sierra Nevada - California
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 07:44:03 AM »
Robert,
if Jamus is joining you I would like to come along too! But maybe you don't like big groups!
20km in heavy terrain is quite a bit. How many hours last such an outing? When I am on my outings I bring food and stop for eating of course and when I find beautiful places or interesting plants I stop to investigate a bit. It takes time too.
That canyon seems to be a place to bring a little more gear (a sleeping bag and a tarpaulin) and stay out during the night! (Didn't the 49ers use donkeys?)

Regarding dangerous animals, in Amazonas we were warned against stinging ants, snakes and jaguars were nothing ;)

Is it any fish in the rivers or pools there? Is it allowed to fish? (I am no fisherman though but a friend of mine is!)

If the plants are that advanced for the season, what happens if you get really cold weather?

BTW Robert, I got an email from Ole Jonny in Ålesund. Think you know him?
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 09:00:01 AM »
I'm with Trond and Jamus but there is something wonderful about being in such places on your own. We have nowhere so wild and untouched in the UK but still magical spots when you get off the beaten track. Just had Michael Wickenden's catalogue from Cally Gardens in SW Scotland - legislators should take note, 'Who owns Nature'? Lots of plants there that I'm interested in, especially the umbels.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 02:36:12 PM »
That's a very beautiful canyon Robert. I'm enjoying your threads and constantly find myself wishing I could be hiking with you and learning about your native flora from you in person and on location. Seeing that cave makes one think of bears... do you have trouble with bears stalking you while you're hiking? People say Australia is dangerous but I would rather come face to face with snakes and spiders than a hungry bear, any day!

Jamus,

About bears: At this time we only have Black Bears in California. The last of the Brown Bears, it is on our state flag!?  :'( , died I think in the 1940's. Unlike Brown Bears (Grizzly Bears), Black Bears are generally easy to scare off if one comes across them while hiking. One needs to be extremely cautious with Brown Bears, they can be extremely dangerous! The one exception with Black Bears is when they have cubs with them, then caution is advised.

I come across Black Bears fairly often. Generally they don't care if I am in the area and keep doing what ever they are doing or they run away without me doing anything. Several years ago I came across a mother with her cubs. I retreated a ways, made a lot of noise so they knew that I was around, then walked around them at a very safe distance. All went well.

Bears are wonderful creatures. I am always happy to see them. Thank you so much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 03:18:22 PM »
Robert,
if Jamus is joining you I would like to come along too! But maybe you don't like big groups!
20km in heavy terrain is quite a bit. How many hours last such an outing? When I am on my outings I bring food and stop for eating of course and when I find beautiful places or interesting plants I stop to investigate a bit. It takes time too.
That canyon seems to be a place to bring a little more gear (a sleeping bag and a tarpaulin) and stay out during the night! (Didn't the 49ers use donkeys?)

Regarding dangerous animals, in Amazonas we were warned against stinging ants, snakes and jaguars were nothing ;)

Is it any fish in the rivers or pools there? Is it allowed to fish? (I am no fisherman though but a friend of mine is!)

If the plants are that advanced for the season, what happens if you get really cold weather?

BTW Robert, I got an email from Ole Jonny in Ålesund. Think you know him?

Trond,

When I am out for the day hiking, I generally go extremely light. I bring my camera, a few items for doing botany, water, and water purifier, some every simple emergency gear, and some extra clothing as per the weather. If I bring food, it is generally only a few raw nuts and dried fruit. I have to admit that most of the time I bring nothing to eat at all.

I never have enough time when I'm out! Given my current situation, I have to be back at a certain time, so this is how my time is cut short. So these days I have about 5-6 hours to hike, at the best, if I do not have to drive far to get to the trail head. Yesterday, I think that I was out hiking for about 5- 1/2 hours, 3 - 1/2 hours out, and less then 2 hours back. I can hike extremely fast when I need to. It is not what I want, but it is a good way to make the best of my time out, and it is a good work out for my body.

Yes, there a big trout and other fish in the river. I'm sure that the Bald Eagle was hunting fish, as this is something they like to eat. A long time ago, I did fish. My fishing friend and I went to many remote and wild places to fish. I have some great stories. Sadly he died when still young, I have never been fishing since then. That was 1986.

If the weather turns extremely cold the native plants will get burned back but generally they survive.

Ole Jonny in Ålesund. Think you know him? Ole Jonny is a wonderful and dear pen friend. My wife and I write letters when we can. Most of the time, I generally hike by myself, or with my wife when she is not busy with something else. Ole Jonny is first in line to go out with me if he should ever be out this way. I will never take a group out! It is not appropriate for the situation.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »
I'm with Trond and Jamus but there is something wonderful about being in such places on your own. We have nowhere so wild and untouched in the UK but still magical spots when you get off the beaten track. Just had Michael Wickenden's catalogue from Cally Gardens in SW Scotland - legislators should take note, 'Who owns Nature'? Lots of plants there that I'm interested in, especially the umbels.

Tim,

I'm sure you would be interested in our umbels too,  ;)

We have a number of Lomatium species in our area. Very interesting plants, as some can be quite attractive, and some are extremely strong medicine too. Most are very xeric.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 04:26:05 PM »

Bears are wonderful creatures. I am always happy to see them. Thank you so much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated!

Bears  can be useful, too : http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/bears-munching-ants-indirectly-help-plants-180953803/?no-ist
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 10:37:42 PM »
19 January 2015

Weather: Overcast and Fog

Temperature High:53 F (11.5 c)  Low: 41 F (5 c)

Elevation: 1,485 Feet (452 meters)

Between chores today I walked down the road to gather some redroot.

Slate Creek is about 1/2 mile (.8km) down the road from the farm.

Most of the habitat is degraded or highly degraded, either from cattle ranching, as per photograph, housing, or light industry (the highly regraded habitat)

In the distance, beyond the forest the housing is moving in quickly.

The trail along Slate Creek follows an old railroad right of way. Consider that there are few species to see on the ranchland and in the new housing areas, I did find 32 species of plants along the right of way.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 10:50:42 PM »

I'm always happy to see our local population of Lewisia rediviva. And doing well considering the dry weather.

Generally redroot has a bright red color this time of year. During the heat of the summer the roots are white and have little use as medicine. Cold weather triggers the active ingredients to move down into the roots making them turn red. We have had very little cold weather so the roots are pink. This is a first time occurrence in this area! I will have to gather farther up the mountain to see if I can find quality roots.

It is not good to waste anything. Here the root is prepared and ready to dry for later use.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 10:52:45 PM »

For some reason the Lewisia rediviva did not post, so here it is.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 10:52:59 AM »
Robert, I know that 'Bitterroot' is the common name of Lewisia rediviva and I've read that the root of it was used and eaten by some Native Americans as a source of starch. Is this same as 'redroot' please or is this derived from another plant and what is it used for now?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hoy

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
Redroot - is it Ceanothus americanus?

Interesting to hear about how you live, Robert! My life is more A4 so to speak although not in every aspect. When I am hiking it usually is with my wife or other friends (especially abroad).
I don't collect much edible/officinal plants either although I know some. I also used to grow some of our vegetables but not any longer. What we still gather is mushrooms and some berries, the most popular one is cloudberries (Rubus chamaemorus).

Robert

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 03:09:38 AM »
Robert, I know that 'Bitterroot' is the common name of Lewisia rediviva and I've read that the root of it was used and eaten by some Native Americans as a source of starch. Is this same as 'redroot' please or is this derived from another plant and what is it used for now?

David,

Redroot is Ceanothus sp. The various species in our area all seem equally good as medicine as long as they are harvested correctly. I have to admit that I have not tried all the species in our area, as there are many and some are rare or endangered in the wild.

A far as Lewisia being used as food by Native Americans, well, this is a complicated story. Each "tribe" is a very separate people, like Russians are different from Italians, so their feelings on the subject can vary from nation to nation, and person to person even within a nation. It is probably best if they are allowed the speak for themselves about their culture given their history since 1492 or 1000, when ever the Norse arrived. Some of the information written in books by non natives is extremely offensive. One of the library books on California native plants I have right now has such a reference. The word, or should I say the meaning, can not even be repeated on the internet. Just to put it out there, for starters, never, never used the word sq--w.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 03:12:04 AM »
Trond,

To give you an idea of how old fashion my wife and I are, what is A4?

Glad to hear from all of you! There will be more soon.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 06:48:07 AM »
Robert,

A4 is the commonly (ISO = International Organization for Standardization))  size of paper you use in printed letters etc. (210 x 297mm or 8.27 x 11.7in). I use a lot of them in my work!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal