We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica cultivation  (Read 18695 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Hepatica cultivation
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 10:52:14 PM »
Coolo.  Shall try to remember....  ::)

Thanks again.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2009, 01:56:49 AM »
hi all, a little browsing in this category, but i didn't find any discussion of siting re: light; i guess that's very basic..lol
i understand these are woodland plants, but just wondering if dappled edge of deciduous forest, shady summer mid deciduous forest, or shadier mixed forest is the most appropriate?
consider that i am in a cold zone, with sometimes (not always) some warm/hot weather in mid-summer, but not hot enough for long enough that i think it will be a factor..

no hepaticas grow naturally here, but i do have lots of native linnaea, pyrola, maianthemum etc if those growing conditions help to relate...

Stephen Vella

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 12:21:08 AM »
Cohan,

Hepaticas like deciduous shade and will also grow under conifers as long as it gets some morning sun. Best to shade them from summer mid day sun(north side).

As a general rule woodlanders from deciduous forests will flower first,do the business of getting pollinated and start to leaf out while the sun shines through,these set seed while the forest starts to leaf out providing cool conditions.

Seeds sown in pots are easy, keep them shaded and moist as allways and when old enough after 2 or 3 years plant them in the ground where Hepatica's have more of a survival rate than in pots. Dig some organics and mulch them with woodchips, Hepaticas have very long roots and will search for moisture and get it. If in pots you risk them drying out if you cannot keep the water up and will allways send roots out of the pot.

Hepaticas also dont like competition from other suckering type of perennial woodlanders. 

good luck
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
Cohan,

Hepaticas like deciduous shade and will also grow under conifers as long as it gets some morning sun. Best to shade them from summer mid day sun(north side).

As a general rule woodlanders from deciduous forests will flower first,do the business of getting pollinated and start to leaf out while the sun shines through,these set seed while the forest starts to leaf out providing cool conditions.

Seeds sown in pots are easy, keep them shaded and moist as allways and when old enough after 2 or 3 years plant them in the ground where Hepatica's have more of a survival rate than in pots. Dig some organics and mulch them with woodchips, Hepaticas have very long roots and will search for moisture and get it. If in pots you risk them drying out if you cannot keep the water up and will allways send roots out of the pot.

Hepaticas also dont like competition from other suckering type of perennial woodlanders. 

good luck

thanks, steven

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »
hi all, a little browsing in this category, but i didn't find any discussion of siting re: light; i guess that's very basic..lol
i understand these are woodland plants, but just wondering if dappled edge of deciduous forest, shady summer mid deciduous forest, or shadier mixed forest is the most appropriate?
consider that i am in a cold zone, with sometimes (not always) some warm/hot weather in mid-summer, but not hot enough for long enough that i think it will be a factor..

no hepaticas grow naturally here, but i do have lots of native linnaea, pyrola, maianthemum etc if those growing conditions help to relate...

Hepaticas grow naturally in dark places because they have an edge over the competition there. In a garden situation they grow better in more light. Not in a situation that would fit a Sempervivum or Opuntia but a few hours of sunligt in the temperate zone is good for them.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »
Hepaticas grow naturally in dark places because they have an edge over the competition there. In a garden situation they grow better in more light. Not in a situation that would fit a Sempervivum or Opuntia but a few hours of sunligt in the temperate zone is good for them.
Göte

i guess common to our theory of many species--not necessarily growing where they like best, but where they have a competitive edge...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal