We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula 2015  (Read 44372 times)

Mark Griffiths

Re: Primula 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 03:04:10 PM »
David, thanks. Yes, I've had it for a while - this one is a cutting, I need to look for the parent  :o At my old house I had a collection where I think I didn't water them in the pots for years. They grew very slowly, flowered well and the losses were absolutely minimal. For some reason here I need to water them directly, they grow faster but I get more losses - usually I'm able to salvage a cutting though.  But I lost Pinkie and Viscountess Byng last year and that's the first time for along time I've lost all of a clone.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Graeme

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
The allioniis are getting going here now, this one is P. allionii Rosemary
now that is a good looking flower
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Mark, my set up isn't really conducive to growing Primulas and I really have to struggle to keep plants in decent nick for more than a couple of years.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
funny thing is when I first got it I didn't rate it. I think I had it too dry or it was too young, I'd get really small flowers - now it's alot better.
Oxford, UK

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 03:25:21 PM »
David, they used to thrive on neglect, I have plants over 20 years old but they are still quite small. I'll be posting more as they come out.
Oxford, UK

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2015, 05:42:03 PM »
Do all these Primula named with a single female forename, like 'Rosemary', come from anyone/where in particular? I have x pubescens 'Christine'  and also a 'Jenny'. Strikes me that it could be a breeder's naming system?
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Graeme

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »
Do all these Primula named with a single female forename, like 'Rosemary', come from anyone/where in particular? I have x pubescens 'Christine'  and also a 'Jenny'. Strikes me that it could be a breeder's naming system?
depends who has named them
you will see stable names like 'Lindum x' at that stage you know who has bred it

My personal favourite is P.Allionii 'Anna Griffiths' which is an old but good one

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2015, 05:59:27 PM »
I think "Jenny" was named after Jenny Archibald so I'd agree it is various breeders that these are coming from.
Oxford, UK

Graeme

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »
I think "Jenny" was named after Jenny Archibald so I'd agree it is various breeders that these are coming from.
I know Brian Burrow named a lot after his children/relatives - Martin and Dreena Thompson always name theirs Lindum - AIRE series was Peter Lister - not sure about Wharfedale series and Broadwell series 

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2015, 06:19:09 PM »
Thanks guys, that's interesting. It's nice to hear stories behind the plants we're growing.
Matt Topsfield

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »
Mark's Primula allionii 'Rosemary': F2 from P. 'Mary Berry' raised originally by Margaret Earle under HME 238/85

Matt's Primula allionii 'Jenny': The good news that it was indeed originally named by Jim Archibald from his collection JCA 4161/23. The bad news that there is another 'Jenny' in circulation also.

Sources for both above National Auricula and Primula Society, Northern Section   (I was going to copy and paste a Link here but, annoyingly, every so often my ability to copy and paste things disappears). The data can be found by accessing 'Allionii Data' from the top of the Northern Section pages, the Northern Section pages are best found from the NAPS main page. Sorry to make it complicated.

Matt's P. x pubescens 'Christine' ""A very fine and distinctive variety. it is unfortunate that many of the plants masquerading under this name are in fact either 'Boothman's Var.' or something similar. The true plant has very rich pink thrum-eyed flowers, that fade slightly to a dark old rose. The veins on the petals tend to be slightly raised giving a textured appearance. The leaves are pale green, evenly and lightly serrated.......""

Source: "Primulas the complete guide" by the late Mary A Robinson published Crowood 1994

One of the problems in the Primula growing world is that so many of them are very, very similar in appearance, growth habit etc (Where have I heard that before!!). NAPS has a regulatory function as far as it's members are concerned in that members entering plants in seedling classes and winning prizes are then, and only then invited to name their plant(s).
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2015, 06:59:31 PM »
I know Brian Burrow named a lot after his children/relatives - Martin and Dreena Thompson always name theirs Lindum - AIRE series was Peter Lister - not sure about Wharfedale series and Broadwell series

'Wharfedale' raised by Alec Stubbs of Grassington (in Wharfedale)
'Broadwell' Joe Elliott from his nursery of that name, long closed.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2015, 07:36:19 PM »
Mark's Primula allionii 'Rosemary': F2 from P. 'Mary Berry' raised originally by Margaret Earle under HME 238/85

Matt's Primula allionii 'Jenny': The good news that it was indeed originally named by Jim Archibald from his collection JCA 4161/23. The bad news that there is another 'Jenny' in circulation also.

Sources for both above National Auricula and Primula Society, Northern Section   (I was going to copy and paste a Link here but, annoyingly, every so often my ability to copy and paste things disappears). The data can be found by accessing 'Allionii Data' from the top of the Northern Section pages, the Northern Section pages are best found from the NAPS main page. Sorry to make it complicated.

Matt's P. x pubescens 'Christine' ""A very fine and distinctive variety. it is unfortunate that many of the plants masquerading under this name are in fact either 'Boothman's Var.' or something similar. The true plant has very rich pink thrum-eyed flowers, that fade slightly to a dark old rose. The veins on the petals tend to be slightly raised giving a textured appearance. The leaves are pale green, evenly and lightly serrated.......""

Source: "Primulas the complete guide" by the late Mary A Robinson published Crowood 1994

One of the problems in the Primula growing world is that so many of them are very, very similar in appearance, growth habit etc (Where have I heard that before!!). NAPS has a regulatory function as far as it's members are concerned in that members entering plants in seedling classes and winning prizes are then, and only then invited to name their plant(s).

Thanks, David!
Looking back over my photos from last spring, my 'Christine' seems to be the true plant  ;D
Sounds as though I will have to do some homework to find out which 'Jenny' I have.
Matt Topsfield

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2015, 09:23:31 PM »
thanks david, I'll see if I can look up some of the other ones I have.

what I want to know is whatever happned to "Crowsley's variety" - used to be one of the few clones you could get - not seen it for decades.
Oxford, UK

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 09:25:41 PM »
let's see if I can get the link to post

http://www.auriculas.org.uk/Allionii_Data.htm
Oxford, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal