We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus January 2015  (Read 14408 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Narcissus January 2015
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »
Lovely hoops!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

WNOETULIP

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 07:47:02 AM »
Hi JPB
You wrote
Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. ???. Received as subsp. nivalis but nivalis is a native of Morocco. Could it be subsp. validus?
nivalis comes from the Iberian peninsular not Morocco see following link
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?name_id=282057
Daffseek has lots of photographs of nivalis including one that i posted
http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?photo2=5e8ef18aab97ac11692aa249964dd5f6&pagenum1=1&

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
Narcissus cantabricus J.W. Blanchard 8820

A stunning plant. It's a shame that N. cantabricus is so sulky with me - summers too cool and grey.  :'(
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2015, 04:36:34 PM »
A stunning plant. It's a shame that N. cantabricus is so sulky with me - summers too cool and grey.  :'(

Apologies for the question Matt, but what is the weather like in the summer there?

Regards

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2015, 05:15:53 PM »
Hi JPB
You wrote
Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. ???. Received as subsp. nivalis but nivalis is a native of Morocco. Could it be subsp. validus?
nivalis comes from the Iberian peninsular not Morocco see following link
http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?name_id=282057
Daffseek has lots of photographs of nivalis including one that i posted
http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?photo2=5e8ef18aab97ac11692aa249964dd5f6&pagenum1=1&
You are right. I found another picture of N. bulb bulb. nivalis from Estrella; http://www.eco.science.ru.nl/plantecology/Estrela/pig_taxa1.html
This plant is very similar to my nivalis. Short corona (half the length of the tube).
I checked the John Hammond book and he found similar plants "in the Asturias" which is close to or part of the Cantabrian mountains...
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2015, 06:17:03 PM »
As I understand it, the N.b.nivalis like plants that are found in North Africa should be known as N. jeanmonodii?

Edit: just been reading through old threads. They're all N.bulbocodium [full stop] ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:47:21 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »
Apologies for the question Matt, but what is the weather like in the summer there?

Regards

Corrado

No need to apologise! Our summers are typically cool, with temperatures reaching the high teens if we're lucky. May is usually a good month, with a reasonable amount of sun. June can be good too, which is when the machair wildflowers start to come into their own. However, July and August typically turn a bit cloudier and wetter. Being a low-lying island in the 'Gulf Stream' we are lucky not to suffer very cold winters and hard/prolonged frosts are rare. This also means we don't have baking hot summers. Overall our climate is more equable that other parts of the country - mild wet and windy winters followed by mild, wet and less windy summers.

The Met Office has interesting average climatic data from across the UK. You can find ours here: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/climate/gf4z088dj
Usefully, you could also enter your own location under the "Location comparison" tab to compare the average climate of our respective locations. It might help you to understand our climate in relation to your own?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 06:44:46 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2015, 11:35:03 AM »
Hans, I would say your plant is N. bulbocodium subsp. nivalis, however this name is not accepted and many botanist consider this is the same bulboodium that grows everywhere in Spain. I support Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. nivalis and this only grows in central mountain ranges in Spain and also Sierra de Estrella in Portugal.
You are right Matt T, there is a similar species in Morocco called N. jeanmonodii,
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo232628.htm4

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »
Hans, I would say your plant is N. bulbocodium subsp. nivalis, however this name is not accepted and many botanist consider this is the same bulboodium that grows everywhere in Spain. I support Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. nivalis and this only grows in central mountain ranges in Spain and also Sierra de Estrella in Portugal.
You are right Matt T, there is a similar species in Morocco called N. jeanmonodii,
http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo232628.htm4

What a beautiful plant!!!
It seems that I'm a little behind with Narcissus taxonomy...
Will there be a new monograph any time soon? ::)
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »
What a beautiful plant!!!
It seems that I'm a little behind with Narcissus taxonomy...
Will there be a new monograph any time soon? ::)

Mmmm .... the most recent position is that N.bulbocodium subsp. nivalis is synonym with N. nivalis, so it is a species, and this position  accepted in the world checklist database. Of course, there will always be some that disagree or most botanists would be out of a job ....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Fernández Casas, F.J. (2009). Narcissorum notulae, XII. Fontqueria 56: 15-28.

Best,

Corrado
Corrado & Rina

WNOETULIP

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
Mmmm .... the most recent position is that N.bulbocodium subsp. nivalis is synonym with N. nivalis, so it is a species, and this position  accepted in the world checklist database. Of course, there will always be some that disagree or most botanists would be out of a job ....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Corrado

Narcissus nivalis was described by the Spanish physician, naturalist and politician Mariano de la Paz Graells and published in Memorias, Real Academia de Ciencias Exactas, Físicas y Naturales de Madrid 2: 473, in 1859. The species name nivalis, means snow. (Wikipedia)

Attached is the pdf of that page

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2015, 09:21:46 AM »
Narcissus nivalis was described by the Spanish physician, naturalist and politician Mariano de la Paz Graells and published in Memorias, Real Academia de Ciencias Exactas, Físicas y Naturales de Madrid 2: 473, in 1859. The species name nivalis, means snow. (Wikipedia)

Attached is the pdf of that page

Exactly (aand thanks for the pdf!). Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. nivalis was then described in 1890, but  it is indeed assumed to be a synonym of Narcissus nivalis in the world checklist database and in the international plant name index and in the most recent publications, for example in the already mentioned Fernández Casas, F.J. (2009). Narcissorum notulae, XII. Fontqueria. 

I do not think that does add or take away to the beauty of Hans plant .... fantastic!

PS: Do you have the original 1890 paper describing Narcissus bulbocodium subsp. nivalis?

Regards

Corrado
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:54:46 AM by corradoerina »
Corrado & Rina

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2015, 07:04:17 AM »
Narcissus minor, JJA702.305 :) :) :) From wild collected seeds, Spain, Leon, La Pola de Gordon. 1300m.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:38 AM »
 :o :o :o minor is the word for it!!
Matt Topsfield

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:10 AM »
 :D Tatsuo, your narcissus are always on short stems, but that one is extreme! Do you think the stem will get longer?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal