We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2015  (Read 24824 times)

Corrado & Rina

Re: Crocus January 2015
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 07:32:49 PM »
Any species you find offered are worth having! The more expensive ones may be that way because they are difficult to grow - it's a pretty easy  way of reckoning  which to try first.

Thanks Maggi! I have bought a few recently that I really liked (in the pictures) but the recent extremely strong winds have scattered all the labels .... I will need your help if they ever flower, I am afraid

Crocus chrysanthus (a few cultivars)
Crocus etruscus
Crocus kotschyanus kotschyanus
Crocus minimus
Crocus sativus
Crocus tommasianus

what do you think? :) .... any good grower / nursery / supplier I should know?? I am trying to focus on botanical species and cultivars: anything you are all in love and it is a must?

Regards

Corrado

Any supplier
Corrado & Rina

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 07:40:28 PM »
Join the crocus group and take part in the seed exchange. As Maggi says there is not a one you would not wish to grow.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »
Join the crocus group and take part in the seed exchange. As Maggi says there is not a one you would not wish to grow.

Sounds like a good idea! Can you send me a link to some information about the Crocus group?

A question .... from seeds? Is it easy to propagate them by seed? Keep in mind this is my first "round" of Crocus  ....

Corrado
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:01:04 PM by corradoerina »
Corrado & Rina

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2015, 10:57:53 PM »
Look in the rest of the crocus section of this forum all details of crocus group there
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
One in the Crocus biflorus group.It was first of all thought to be ssp pulchcricolor from Ulu Dag but I collected it near Feithye some 400 miles South East.

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
Very nice one Tony!

Today lots of rain but the development of crocus goes on!

The first flower of Crocus biflorus ssp. alexandrii. I like the contrast of the dark and white.

Crocus michelsonii, a major version. This one is selected in the Kopet dag Mountians at 2100 meters in Turkmenistan.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
One in the Crocus biflorus group.It was first of all thought to be ssp pulchcricolor from Ulu Dag but I collected it near Feithye some 400 miles South East.

A very intense blue, Tony !  Very attractive !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2015, 09:18:14 AM »
A very intense blue, Tony !  Very attractive !
A fantastic wee Crocus!

Apparently Crocus biflorus is sometimes called Scotch Crocus -it's certainly the blue that does it for this Scot!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:49 AM »
A fantastic wee Crocus!

Apparently Crocus biflorus is sometimes called Scotch Crocus -it's certainly the blue that does it for this Scot!

Yes it is a wonderful blue and the colour in the picture is reasonably accurate. I collected it in 1998 not far from Feithye and it was growing with Fritillaria serpenticola Cyclamen alpinum  and Primula vulgaris on a lightly wooded site. Unfortunately on a return visit the hillside had been turned into a eucalyptus plantation and the plants were gone.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2015, 10:30:13 AM »
Steve the name 'Scotch' Crocus referes to a white flowering plant with dark stripes.

It has its name because it was found in a Scotch garden nearly 100 years ago,
meanwhile it disappeared from trade and I don't know anybody who grows the true form,
but maybe it has survived in lost gardens without knowing....  ???

Its a sterile plant and originates from Crocus biflorus from Italy - these Italian plants
have nothing to do with the Turkish, we must say ex-biflorus, which was meanwhile
confirmed by DNA studies.

But whatever Tonys plant is - its a real beauty and its intense blue is outstanding within the genus  :D
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2015, 01:27:53 PM »
Steve the name 'Scotch' Crocus referes to a white flowering plant with dark stripes.

It has its name because it was found in a Scotch garden nearly 100 years ago,
meanwhile it disappeared from trade and I don't know anybody who grows the true form,
but maybe it has survived in lost gardens without knowing....  ???

Its a sterile plant and originates from Crocus biflorus from Italy - these Italian plants
have nothing to do with the Turkish, we must say ex-biflorus, which was meanwhile
confirmed by DNA studies.

But whatever Tonys plant is - its a real beauty and its intense blue is outstanding within the genus  :D

Thanks for this info Thomas!

Yes it is a wonderful blue and the colour in the picture is reasonably accurate. I collected it in 1998 not far from Feithye and it was growing with Fritillaria serpenticola Cyclamen alpinum  and Primula vulgaris on a lightly wooded site. Unfortunately on a return visit the hillside had been turned into a eucalyptus plantation and the plants were gone.

It is indeed a superb crocus Tony. It's sad to hear that the original site has been replaced by a sterile Eucalyptus plantation.  It is fortunate that you were able to collect a corm when you did, I don't think I've seen a biflorus quite as enchanting!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »
Thanks for this info Thomas!

It is indeed a superb crocus Tony. It's sad to hear that the original site has been replaced by a sterile Eucalyptus plantation.  It is fortunate that you were able to collect a corm when you did, I don't think I've seen a biflorus quite as enchanting!

These ecucalyptus plantations are becoming a serious threat to biodivdersity everywhere, let alone the amount of water they are driving out of the soil. A real pity!

Regards
Corrado & Rina

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2015, 06:05:20 AM »
Hallo Hubi , I have a Crocus growing in my garden since the late 1950,s labelled C. biflorus var. 'Parkinsonii' , white fl. and the outer segments with 3 dark purple stripes . Would that crocus be the same as the 'Scotch' Crocus ?

Tony your C. biflorus ssp. ? is a very beautiful shade of blue , sometimes nearly matched by C. aerius .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2015, 06:26:13 AM »
Hi Otto.
Sorry, 3 stripes is probably the true biflorus 'Parkinsonii' - Scotch has 5 stripes.
'Parkinsonii' does set a lot of seeds, while 'Scotch' is sterile....
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 09:55:20 AM »
These ecucalyptus plantations are becoming a serious threat to biodivdersity everywhere, let alone the amount of water they are driving out of the soil. A real pity!

Regards
Tell us about it! Our whole country has been transformed and dried out by eucalypts! ;D
And they are highly flammable!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal