We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus January 2015  (Read 24796 times)

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
Re: Crocus January 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
I've another form but buds are just sprouting

Crocus korolkowii RI - Tub
Crocus korolkowii 'YELLOW TIGER'
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:29:10 AM by Yann »
North of France

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 12:50:47 PM »
Crocus sieberi Bowles white.
Crocus biflorus nubigena

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 03:06:12 PM »
Wonderful Crocus guys !  A sunny day in Belgium today, so Crocus' cannot be stopped now !!  ;D

1-2-3 = bought as Crocus corsicus, this probably isn't - the yellow heart and the time of flowering seem to give it away.... Crocus imperati ?

4-5 = already shown, but so beautiful and in full swing now : C. biflorus nubigena
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
Some more :

1-2-3 : Crocus korolkowii 'Dark throat' - well chosen name.

4-5 : Crocus atticus ssp nivalis - resembling very much of the cultivar 'Tricolor'
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 03:20:22 PM »
Luc : many be imperati ssp suaveolens, this sub-specie has straight stripes
btw your fuji dslr renders justice to colors, need to shop one before spring.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:22:34 PM by Yann »
North of France

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 05:39:00 PM »
Not enough sun today to open the flowers but some are as beauitiful on the outside!

Crocus biflorus ssp. stridii
Crocus korolkowii 'Agalik'

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »
Some crocus today:
 Crocus biflorus ssp. stridii --> a form with blackish anthers collected in Greece.
 Crocus sieberii atticus ssp. sublimis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »
I agree, Ruben - Crocus are beautiful inside and out - so much variety in flowers , anthers, styles-  -just  the best plants!! 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 05:17:41 PM »
Kath's Crocus
(
Crocus danfordiae blue form)

I got this bonny wee crocus many years ago (1994) as a gift from Kath Dryden. I subsequently lost interest in growing plants for over 15 years and during that time I lost many plants. This one declined to a single tiny corm with no label and when it flowered last year (the first for many years) I didn't know what it was. I have recently refurbished the bulb frame that it was rescued from and found the old faded label with Kath's name.
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 05:39:46 PM »
Steve - fabulous shot and so good you have 'rescued' this beauty.  It might now be known as Crocus minutus. Much of  danfordiae have been re-classified .... not entirely sure what is left under that name.

Below are two pics of a plant I obtained in 1994 as Crocus biflorus isauricus.  Very small flowered, with upright leaves exceeding the flowers at flowering time, I tentatively re-named it as Crocus danfordiae.  These are 3rd generation seedlings which are pretty much identical to the original plants.  It has been suggested they might be Crocus brickellii, another newly described plant which would once have been included in Crocus danfordiae.  These lack the long style branches of Crocus brickellii so all this is pure conjecture!

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
Steve - fabulous shot and so good you have 'rescued' this beauty.  It might now be known as Crocus minutus. Much of  danfordiae have been re-classified .... not entirely sure what is left under that name.

Below are two pics of a plant I obtained in 1994 as Crocus biflorus isauricus.  Very small flowered, with upright leaves exceeding the flowers at flowering time, I tentatively re-named it as Crocus danfordiae.  These are 3rd generation seedlings which are pretty much identical to the original plants.  It has been suggested they might be Crocus brickellii, another newly described plant which would once have been included in Crocus danfordiae.  These lack the long style branches of Crocus brickellii so all this is pure conjecture!
I think those are C. danfordiae. C. brickellii has distinctly long stigmatic branches almost allways overtopping anthers and I never saw tips so deep between anthers. Another allie C. minutus has white stigma. No problems to separate. Steve's plant has yellow stigmatic branches, so I think it is blue danfordiae.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:56:07 PM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2015, 05:58:34 PM »
I think those are C. danfordiae. C. brickellii has distinctly long stigmatic branches almost allways overtopping anthers and I never saw tips so deep between anthers. Another allie C. minutus has white stigma. No problems to separate. Steve's plant has yellow stigmatic branches, so I think it is blue danfordiae.
Thanks Janis.  I have struggled to keep up with the current thinking on names.  Family and work come before study in recent years :-(

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2015, 06:27:34 PM »
We  were tremendous fans of  Dear Kath Dryden, so it is very good to see that you have managed to rescue that rather precious plant, Steve.

The stippling on Steve's blue and also on Tony's  pale form is exceptionally lovely.
I like the way Tony's photo shows the depth of the  golden throat and the great shape.  Real crackers!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2015, 09:10:41 PM »
Kath's Crocus
(
Crocus danfordiae blue form)
I got this bonny wee crocus many years ago (1994) as a gift from Kath Dryden. I subsequently lost interest in growing plants for over 15 years and during that time I lost many plants. This one declined to a single tiny corm with no label and when it flowered last year (the first for many years) I didn't know what it was. I have recently refurbished the bulb frame that it was rescued from and found the old faded label with Kath's name.
Such a lovely crocus Steve and so well captured, Kath would have been very proud.
Cyril
Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2015, 09:27:04 AM »
Such a lovely crocus Steve and so well captured, Kath would have been very proud.

Couldn't agree more !!
Tremendous shot !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal