We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A lily to ID?  (Read 2022 times)

P. Kohn

Re: A lily to ID?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 07:21:00 AM »
Thank you to everyone who has helped identify this as L. rosthornii. I am now convinced that the seed was obtained as L,henryi and my dating it as twenty years ago is almost certainly an overestimate - maybe fifteen to seventeen would be more accurate.
I am determined to have another go at this species. Unfortunately, even if the plant survives at Kerrachar we won't ever be there at the correct season to harvest seeds so I'll need to seek out another source or buy a mture bulb.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
L- henryi is the closest one to rosthornii and rosthornii has not figured much in literature so it is quite possible that someone got a bulb from China - belived it to be henryii and propagated it under that name. That could have happened anytime.
Seed will probably be available from the RHS Llily Group's seed exchange.
In my garden Rosthornii is so late that it often is cut down by early frosts when still in bloom.
That makes it a valuable addition but results in zero seed harvest.
Good luck with it it is a good lily
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
This should be Lilium rosthornii:
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

gote

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »
Both L rosthornii and L henryii have two types of leaves. The upper ones differ from the lower ones. Rosthornii has ovate upper leaves and narrowly lanceolate lower leaves maximum ca 10mm wide. Henryii has on the whole wider leaves minimum 20mm wide and weaker longer stems. Rosthorni is also more frost hardy than henryii. There is a difference in seed pod but in colder climates this never develops.

Hoy
Your pictures show unusually yellow flowers. Is this the photo or do you have a clone that is lighter than usual?

Happy new Year
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »

Hoy
Your pictures show unusually yellow flowers. Is this the photo or do you have a clone that is lighter than usual?

Happy new Year
Göte

Göte,

It is the about the right colour. It hasn't flowered the last year do to lily beetles which have done damage when I have been away during the summer.

Happy New Year!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

gote

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
Hoy
Interesting. (Not the cursed beetle of course :( )
Your flowers are lighter in color than any other I have seen (growing or in pictures).
Most brick-red lilies in Asia have yellow sports. Maybe you have the first in Rosthornii.
Hope you can defeat the beetles this year.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal