We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Field vole problem (again!!) :(  (Read 4265 times)

John85

Re: Field vole problem (again!!) :(
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 06:11:34 AM »
Maggi
Here we usually call you the forum fairy or the forum angel.
The one that called you s... will burn in gardener's hell for ever!!!http://www.srgc.net/forum/Smileys/classic/wink.gif

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
Maggi
Here we usually call you the forum fairy or the forum angel.

Angels are something I do know something about.

My wife is an angel for starters. There are a lot more too, such as Maggi the forum angel.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2015, 09:54:14 PM »
Hi Robert how do shrews control voles? The shrews we have in my part of the world are only tiny little things.

John,

I liked your question so I did some investigation into the subject.

My first information about shrews controlling voles came to me many years ago as old time wisdom. Some of the old farmers in our area shared this information with me as a young man. I had no reason to not believe them.

After more investigation into the subject, this is some of what I discovered.

Shrews are very precocious and some species give off a terrible odor. So maybe voles are repelled by the smell of shrews and if the shrews are breeding quickly the voles may be less willing to hang around. Seems possible.

Although tiny, shrews are known to be pugnacious and fiercely territorial. They are insectivores, eating mostly insects, worms and slugs, however some are known to attack and eat other shrews. In addition some species in North America have a poisonous bite and are known to eat mice, so my guess is that the same species will eat voles too.

It seems that there could be some truth to this old time wisdom, at least here in North America. It might be something worth looking into.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Gene Mirro

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2015, 10:43:39 PM »
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 02:02:49 AM »
Crikey geno the snake got more than it bargained for, I don think I'll look at a shrew the same way again.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal