We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aril Society International  (Read 8579 times)

arillady

Aril Society International
« on: January 25, 2008, 05:30:15 AM »
I would like to introduce myself. I am currently the President of the Aril Society International. I became interested in arils in 1989 when I saw two photos in 'Bulbs' by Phillips and Rix, of Iris iberica ssp. elegantissima growing in its natural habitat. I was smitten by these beauties and so I joined the ASI, received seed from their seedbank and from a member in Israel and started growing them. Our climate appears to be similar in many ways to the lower altitude species and this has helped greatly in my continued success in growing arils and arilbreds. The ASI have a plant sale plus we introduced a seed exchange for members a few years ago which has proved highly successful.
I have grown 98% of my irises from seed. I am certainly not saying I have had success or a great germination rate over the years but I do have quite a large collection - mainly species crosses as I might not have another clone flowering at the same time. The arils appear to be self sterile. Marcus Harvey in Tasmania has also supplied a few rhizomes for those of us in Australia.
Pat Toolan
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Aril Society International
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:55 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Pat,  it's good to have someone with your skill and knowledge and I look forward to reading more about your plants. Although I love all Irises, given my maritime climate Arils would be a step too far. I enjoy looking at them and reading about them though.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »
Hello, Pat and a very warm welcome to the Forum. A delight to have you... and by extension, your society, on board!
You originally opened this page in Scottish Rock Garden Club Forum > Member's Area (only viewable by registered forum members) > Member's Board.........
I will, however, move this topic to the main forum Iris pages, where everyone will be able to see it, not just registered Forum members.... this section: Scottish Rock Garden Club Forum > Specific Genera  > Iris
main Iris page is here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?board=22.0

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arillady

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 10:57:59 PM »
Thanks Maggi and David for the warm welcome and help with the forum directions. I had thought I had sent a message when I first joined up but I guess it did not pass GO.
Even though I have been growing oncocyclus for nearly 20 years I do not claim to be any sort of expert - Mother Nature gives me much help. I just keep my fingers crossed each summer that we don't have a downpour that combined with heat cooks the rhizomes. It is always with a sense of delight and wonder that I watch the new leaves appearing in autumn and then sheer joy when the flowers form and open up. This is when you want to invite everyone over to see them.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:30:35 AM »
Pat,

Welcome.  I used to be a member, but funds meant that I couldn't continue.  Also frustrating to see adverts of the sale, knowing I couldn't access them.  I. i. ssp.  elegantissima was something that sparked me on arils as well, but after getting one from Marcus a couple of years ago I lost it!! (you probably heard the sobbing from all the way down there in South Aus)  One of my holy grails, but I need to get back to basics with arils again I think before trying again.  I just LOVe the pics of the flowers I have seen.  Used to grow a few of the arilbreds beardeds etc quite successfully, but lost them over time with the changing climate and February drenching rainss we had a couple of years running.  Good to have you here with us.  8)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:34:19 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 06:25:31 PM »
Wellcome Pat, here in SRGC society are many people interested in growing Oncos and Regelias I hope to learn from your experience in growing oncos.

biodiversite

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:16 AM »
Bienvenue Pat.
I'm very interesting to read your post because I thought AIS was above all an american association, which can make problems to sell or exchange plants.

In France we are less than five persons to be really fond of oncocyclus, but if the AIS permits to obtain botanical species in seeds or rhizomes, I could be very interesting to become a member.

Hereafter Iris kirkwoodii in my garden  ;)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:04:29 PM »
Oh my!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 12:38:03 PM »
Bio, Splendid iris, i think as you about this society and want to join them in the same conditions you say
de la part de Medius !!!
do

Pontoux France

biodiversite

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2008, 06:12:34 PM »
I recognized you Dominique  ;).
Then, Ladyaril, may we contact you about details for AIS inscription ?

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2008, 06:49:27 PM »

Bio
What a magnificent I. kirkwoodii !!  :o :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

arillady

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 10:56:01 PM »
Biodiversite and dominique,
We have just appointed Gerhard Stickroth in Germany as our EU transshipper of rhizomes from our plant sale (to save on costs all round) and Lars Hoepfner in Denmark is the Seed Exchange Chair.  We have members in Spain, Sweden, Netherlands, Canada, NZ, UK, Japan, Austria, Latvia, Israel, Italy, Australia and FRANCE - so you can see it is not exclusively American. Yes you can get rhizomes and seeds - the species can be hard to find but we would love to welcome anyone to ASI as members.
Just contact our Treasurer/Membership Chair: Reita Jordan, 3500 Avenida Charada NW, Albuquerque. NM 87107, USA SJordan@unm.edu to join - $10US per year or $28US triennial - Yearbook, 3 Newsletters, Plant Sale, Seed Exchange are all benefits of membership, plus access to the arils!!!
I flowered Iris kirkwoodii for the first time this past season and it was a bit moth eaten so I will not post my photo after your magnificent photo.
Pat
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 11:30:05 PM »
Hi Pat,
very nice to meet you here,
best wishes from Spain. :D

Biodiversite and dominique Pat is right and I think the number of species will rise in the seedexchange in Future - at the last seedexchange I received some seeds of very fine species.

Hans
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 11:36:23 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 11:45:25 PM »
I'm agree with Hans, but I think it's necessary to increase the species to have different clones and produce as many seeds as possible, exchangening pollen and also plants.

Pat, I don't forget your last e-mail, I'll reply soon.

arillady

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 02:32:59 AM »
Yes Rafa and Hans we need to increase the species by crossing clones of the same species - this is my prime consideration when pollinating but Rafa how would you save pollen to use at a later date and how would you send pollen by post? An ASI member has just received seed of Iris haynei and Iris lortetii from Israel which will be good to grow on. Please do not get caught by the ebay member offering arils - they are not correct.

Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal