We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Diapensia  (Read 3992 times)

Howard Ray

Diapensia
« on: January 24, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »
I have just received my Diapensia lapponica seeds from the seed exchange, and wonder if anyone out there has any useful tips re its propagation from seed. I am very much a beginner with alpines, and have not grown any from seed before, so any pointers would be appreciated. I would hope to plant out anything I successfully raise, as I don't have an alpine house. I live near the coast in Perthshire - for Scotland, relatively low rainfall, fairly equable climate, but heavy clay soil.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Diapensia
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:16:22 AM »
Hello, Howard and a warm welcome to the Forum.
I will send you a copy of an extract of an article by Mike and Polly Stone from the SRGC Journal, The Rock Garden, of September 1980. It will tell you a good deal and I can vouch for the Stones' success with this plant!
They suggest sowing the seed on the surface of a 50/50 grit /dried,sieved sphagnum mix ,watering in well and leaving outside, uncovered only in extremes of weather.
This is fairly standard treatment for ericaceaous seed and Diapensias are closely related.
Good luck, ask any more questions care to, of course. Cheers, M

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
Howard & Maggi

I had a good look at some D. lapponica growing in the wild in Newfoundland. I had always heard they required a peat bed or scree. What amazed us in Newfoundland was that the plants were indeed growing in deep grit. However plants had a long stem or neck that went straight down a foot into pure wet mud. The gravel area was slightly above grade with water flowing all around so obviously the plants never dried out.  Many mistake the neck for a tap root but we saw no secondary roots on it, the roots were like a mat in the mud. So once you get the seedlings growing it might be wise to prepare a bed similar to the above to the plants can get down to that rich mud and reliable source of moisture.

It has worked in a trough for me for 15 years or more. I put rotted sods on the bottom half of the trough and mixed some with grit another quarter of the way up the trough with pure sharp granite grit on the top quarter. The big old lapponica died last summer but managed for 15 years. The plants here bloom sporadically from through the autumn, never giving the show seen in the wild.

Get out the hose if it gets over 27C and soak them.

I had a go at D. purpurea seed but never managed to get them through the first few months.

Good luck.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Hjalmar

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »
John,
Do you keep your Diapensia trough in sun or shade? I sowed both lapponica and purpurea last week. The purpurea is already germinating. I wish I can break your record of a few months.
Hjalmar Rosengren, Sweden

johnw

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
Hjalmar - My trough is in sun. At the end of June it is under shade cloth - 50-60% - as there are rhododendrons in pots nearby and I don't want the sun shining on the black pots.

I hope you have success with your Diapensias. Many grow it successfully from seed and am sure you will succeed.

johnw   - +1c

johnw

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 03:21:43 AM »
Do you suppose someone has been working with Photoshop or is this for real?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/man_of_mud/383030638/

johnw
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:26:29 AM by johnw »

Hjalmar

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 07:15:40 AM »
Beautiful! According to my flora, double forms of Diapensia lapponica can be found very rarely in Sweden, though I've never seen a picture before.
Hjalmar Rosengren, Sweden

johnw

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:18:12 PM »
Beautiful! According to my flora, double forms of Diapensia lapponica can be found very rarely in Sweden, though I've never seen a picture before.

Hjalmar - Some marvellous shots in the wild on that site. If you search on Flickr using Diapensia lapponica there is a wonderful shot of a huge drift of Diapensia with brilliant red fall foliage. I would love to see the double.

Off to find some Epigaeas in bloom for "she who must be obeyed".

johnw

johnw

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 05:26:29 PM »
Berneuxia thibetica in bloom in southern Nova Scotia.

This one from a Jens Nielsen collection.

johnw

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:18:32 PM »
Wow! That Dane knows a good plant when he sees one in seed ! Well done, Jens.
That is growing really well for you, John... it likes life in Nova Scotia it seems ...... Ian has shown me photos of these plants growing just as happily in Gothenborg Botanic Garden.... they have a lot of really classy weeds in that place!! ;) 8) ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal