We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Preliminary Commendation  (Read 1282 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Preliminary Commendation
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:10:20 PM »
On page 2 of the latest Daff yearbook there's a picture of Galanthus 'Emma MacKenzie'.  They state that it received a Preliminary Commendation and I have to wonder why.  To me given such large flowers on such very low-angled stems the least bit of rain would surely cause it to flop in the mud face first.  Is the picture shown not a true portrait of the plant or am I somehow missing not so obvious attributes?  Comments please.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Preliminary Commendation
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
For further information: I believe this award was made by the Joint Rock Garden Committee at the meeting at the AGS   South Wales show  in 2014

Galanthus 'Emma MacKenzie'  is stated to be : probably a cross between G. 'Daglingworth' and G. 'Colesbourne'            Shown by: Dr Ronald Mackenzie

Other snowdrops given awards that day are :

Galanthus koenenianus
Award:
  PC (Preliminary Commendation)
Origin: North East Turkey
Shown by: Dr Ronald Mackenzie

Galanthus 'Witchwood'
AM (Award of Merit)
Origin: G. nivalis seedling
Shown by: Dr Ronald Mackenzie

Galanthus 'Amy Doncaster'
Award:
  PC (Preliminary Commendation)
Origin: An old selection
Shown by: Bob & Rannveig Wallis

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
Well I've never thought that this system was of much use to the average gardener much more of an ego trip for the horticultural glitterati :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
Well I've never thought that this system was of much use to the average gardener much more of an ego trip for the horticultural glitterati :P
David, you are exposing me to new vocabulary to which I find myself a bit amused. Horticultural glitterati is a new phrase to me and while the meaning is quite obvious, I thought it might be fun to Google it. I saw references to other wonderful terms of endearment including "upwardly fertile" and those with "prodigious green thumbs". Thanks for the laughs and insights on the awards system.  ;D
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
Pleasure Rick, if I can make someone laugh I'm King for a day ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:07:13 PM »
A Preliminary Condemnation then? :-X
John in coastal Nova Scotia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 02:18:07 PM »
Sort of ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 04:09:11 PM »
Amongst the horticultural glitterati are some amazing people though, some more modest than others. I think of Tom Wood of Oakover Nursery, Raymond Evison of Clematis fame, Roy Lancaster of course, maybe a few characters in Scotland! At least many glitter in ways that a lot of celebrities tend not too - simply because they have such an interest in plants (which don't get such strong billing at times). British horticulture can be a bit top heavy though.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal